What's the best mid range saw for firewood? what do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can agree some of the smaller saws are awesome for firewood. I was using an MS250 18" bar yellow chain for all my work and including firewood. Took awhile to do some of the larger stuff but felt it was all part of the work. Occasionally bogged down in some of the cuts. No biggie.

Got the MS661CM 25" bar & MS201TCM 14" Friday and already have put out 4 cords of wood. Neighbor asked for a couple wood 'tiles' as he called them to make a walkway. That 661 ate right through everything i put in front of it. I have basically ran it nonstop for 2.5 days. It is a heavier saw, but that hasn't stopped me. Its cut cut cut, (fast) then put it down and stack. TO me the trade off of having a saw in my hands a shorter period of time is worth the 7bhp and added weight.

Only looking at a 20" for her now.

I can agree some of the smaller saws are awesome for firewood. I was using an MS250 18" bar yellow chain for all my work and including firewood. Took awhile to do some of the larger stuff but felt it was all part of the work. Occasionally bogged down in some of the cuts. No biggie.

Got the MS661CM 25" bar & MS201TCM 14" Friday and already have put out 4 cords of wood. Neighbor asked for a couple wood 'tiles' as he called them to make a walkway. That 661 ate right through everything i put in front of it. I have basically ran it nonstop for 2.5 days. It is a heavier saw, but that hasn't stopped me. Its cut cut cut, (fast) then put it down and stack. TO me the trade off of having a saw in my hands a shorter period of time is worth the 7bhp and added weight.

Only looking at a 20" for her now.
Thats a nice set of saws you just picked up.
Keep all of us updated on the 661cm 's performance. Many threads here are unsettled w/ stihl's work on these

Thats a nice set of saws you just picked up.
Keep all of us updated on the 661cm 's performance. Many threads here are unsettled w/ stihl's work on these
I will say this. I am disappointed in the selection/ options available to my geographic purchase area. I expected to have at the very least the (R) Wrapped handle. Nope. Standard is the only available option in my area. What I really wanted was the MS 661 R C-M VW (Arctic Edition). I travel lots and am all over the continent. Had to grab one of them for work I am doing locally and couldn't wait till I was in a region that they were available in.

Had looked at the 461 Arctic also. Will keep everyone posted on it though.

I will say this. I am disappointed in the selection/ options available to my geographic purchase area. I expected to have at the very least the (R) Wrapped handle. Nope. Standard is the only available option in my area. What I really wanted was the MS 661 R C-M VW (Arctic Edition). I travel lots and am all over the continent. Had to grab one of them for work I am doing locally and couldn't wait till I was in a region that they were available in.

Had looked at the 461 Arctic also. Will keep everyone posted on it though.

How can distribution be that regionalized. Its the same company. Thats like chevy saying the crewcab 4 door is only available in Oregon. -

Appreciate any feedback on the ms461.
$1200 , its on the short list.
Do you work for the lumber industry. Power companies? Sounds like a big area you cover

The Stihl South East region opted out of the 'Arctic' Version. For that matter, it seems like most of the US is not getting them. Found 2 in the US after MANY phone calls to various Retailers. You have to Look where the specific saws are made. If it is a Germany saw, there aren't any specific options that can be changed in VA where the US Corporate location is. ( that is the response I got from a couple dealers, sounded hokey to me, also warranty and what the Serial number says in their system.)

As for the wrap handle. I have NO CLUE why that would be limited to outside the SSE area. Wether the information I got it accurate or not, I am searching for parts to make mine the saw I expected to invest in. Price point I got mine for was ~1k after some negation for the 661. 201tcm was around ~600 couldn't do too much on that one. There was only 1 within 100 miles of me and the dealer knew it. Everyone else had the 201t.

I work on building community;)....

Aren t all the 70 +cc saws built in Germany at this pt?

Or are things being built in "inside our walls" now?
Never in the market for a 201 but 6 bills min seemed to be it. Heck, well used 201t are listed at $400 + around here

Aren t all the 70 +cc saws built in Germany at this pt?

Or are things being built in "inside our walls" now?
Never in the market for a 201 but 6 bills min seemed to be it. Heck, well used 201t are listed at $400 + around here

I'm not sure where the line is drawn for where they are built. It did look that way though. The 201tcm is a Germany product too so I am not sure where the line is drawn.

The 201T seems to be one of the Go To saws for Arborists. The 'CM' takes the constant tuning out of our hands and personally I welcome that right now. One less thing to worry about and the one pull restarts are killer.

I supose Stihl has the charting of the most widely used professional used saws. -and dealer supported documentation of needed repairs-

Those high end saws may be the very last to be built in Germany?

Conummers are guinnnie pigs. Always being tracked. Whats socially accepted and whats not.

Could be. I know most dealers choose to order whatever the greatest profit range items are available unless it is a 'Special' order specific to a customer. Most prefer to sell off the shelf though. I'd imagine that their accessory ordering is limited to bars and chains. I can't even find a 'Light' bar locally. Everyone is special order. I even considered a part time job just to see what the inner workings of a Stihl dealer is like. Employee pricing would be interesting too. Alas, I have much too much going on to get a part time.

Still want my heated wrap handle though.

I have 2 dealers with in 10 miles of each other. Both are very different. One stocks no parts for the pro saws and on the shelf has ZERO pro saws. All home owner and mid range. 271, 291, 311, 391, etc... You go in asking for parts and they NEVER have anything in stock and they only order once a month, sometimes once every 2 months and then they say if you want it, they can order it and charge me $15 to ship it. They are also a John Deere dealer too. The other dealer, orders once a week does not pass shipping on since orders over a certain amount Stihl picks up the costs and has the full range of saws on the shelves, as well as the full range of Husqvarna. It depends on the shop...

I see your up north. Most of the guys local to me are dealing with the 2 extremes in tree clients. Palms and Oaks. So the dealers are hesitant to get out of their comfort zones. There are Ace Hardware stores that have it all in stock, parts too from what I am told. Then the couple Farm and Tractor supply stores and an official Mower shop. Its a hard sell telling a homeowner they should be in a 500-1000 saw vs the 100-500. Firewood is a moot point in this area. Most just like to warm the fire pit or have a fire on the beach.

I still stand by my grab on a 'professional' saw for firewood. The 661 might be overkill but it makes short work of everything.

want to add a 461 to the collection to test on some wood.

It is amazing how the zip code effects saw sales. Also the type of store. Like I said the JD dealer caters to small firewood cutters and home owners and the small shop has the professional clients.

I heard a dealer telling a guy his saw was shot and needed another one. Listening to it, sounded like a spark plug might have been all the saw needed. I asked the guy when the rep walked away. He said he has been int a new saw every year from the same dealer. Told he guy to change out plugs and go to another dealer. Gave him my number and asked him to let me know the turnout and if he wanted to sell the saw after he made a decision. Sure enough. got the call and it was just a plug. He now goes to a different dealer.

your right on the zip codes. In the dc area. No-one really needs a saw, however, everyone owns one. their use of it is highly limited. Where I am local, everyone should have one, yet most do not. Money factor is a huge driver. Knowledgeable dealers is the biggest in my book though.

It is amazing how the zip code effects saw sales. Also the type of store. Like I said the JD dealer caters to small firewood cutters and home owners and the small shop has the professional clients.

Small shop is still around because they know if they burn one client/customer the writing is on the wall their time is up. That JD dealer could give two turds less about some non-ag merchandise. It filling a "segment" of their business. Now if they actually wanted to really step up to the plate they 'd buy out the small shop and it s people. Pay m well and run something worth a darn.

*** my experiences and opinion below****

I think it really comes down to two /three things for alot of US consumers
Education.
to properly understand/matching up proper saw abilities to the correct saw. (Or product)
Passion/Pride
to truly understand the product ur selln
Responsibility
of selling the customer the correct saw for the job at hand and foreseeable future. (upsell vs correct sell)

This is why "small" shops make it. AndWalmart's of the world make more... They invest less into their customers. And then customers throw junk away and buy it again hopping for a different result

And "we"(I'm guilty on occasion) continue to shop at places we get a perceived good deal. Vs prioritizing the best long term experience.

Ive got a dealer family member"in" but notably don't own anything JonnyRed. Poor support and sell me whats on the shelf.

Just frustrating to see new. New. NEW everywhere and consumers / landfills paying the price (not just saws).

Stovepipe. I was coming back into the thread to apologize about derailing the thread. I read your response and agree whole heartedly. I have taught our children to invest in quality and keep it as long as possible. I looked into the saws preowned first. You know how that goes with a saw though. Never know what your getting.

My 661 was along of the lines of FUTURE, knowing that I want an alaskan mill and what I plan on doing with it in the end game.

Latest posts

Back