What's the best price on a MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lolol.. It's not like it's posted on a sign, or in ads... We sell our share of full priced units, but the realities of local competition (one very local dealer will give 10% off to anyone with an "associated" business licence...) drive us down (361 and MS200T examples) to $550 for most of our pro customers. Some would rather drive 100 miles to Masden's than pay list:dizzy:

You may be surprised.. but most of our customers don't even ask for a discount... and we sure don't offer it unless there's a good reason. And... some of our pro customers don't ask for or want a discount.. but they sure want good service (and they get it..). They recognise the saw is often paid for on the first job, and it keeps on earning; we get out "cut" once, at the sale.

LOL!!!! Funny you say that,,, I fixed a "Tree Guys" three year old 361 yesterday,,,, the service tag said "wont crank",,,, I picked it up Put it on fast Idle,,,, yarded on it a bit not so much as a muffled pop!!! Flipped it to choke,,,yarded on it a bit more looked at the plug,,, dripping with mix,,, ahhh flooded,,,cleared it out put the plug back in installed ZAT,,,, held trigger wide open yarded again,,,, good fire still no start..... swapped plugs (Bench runner),,,, Yard yard yard Nada!!!!!stood saw on its nose while gatheing carb removal tools,,, yep,,,,, gas dripping out of muffler pulled carb, pulled covers,,, now this is the wierd part,,,,, gas would not free flow through inlet screen with carb inverted,,,,,, picked out inlet screen,,,, flowed but sluggish
flowed better from metering chamber out inlet bowl?????? pulled inlet valve,,,, Bingo!!!!! found culprit,,, one little piece of debris stuck in the valve seat!!!!! reassembled carb w/new inlet screen popped on the first pull!!!! gas would only flow when pulled on,,,,, I thought it wwas funny it would flood but not free flow on gravity!!!!

When I called him and told him his saw was fixed he asked what was it because that was the first time in three years it failed to crank,,, I told him it was expensive cause I had to replace his carb,,,, He said I dont care just fix it!!!!!!!!! 1 dollar for the inlet screen and 15 minutes labor!!!!! :givebeer: :clap: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
$530 PHO Local dealer

what do you gain by trying to haggle for 15 or $20?I've got a few saws from this same guy and never asked for a discount and in return he's done quite abit of free diagnostic work on my stuff for me.It does go both ways!

You should be appreciative they offered anything at all, but what do you do? You baulk at it because it isn't good enough for you. You acknowledge that the margin is tight, but you still want to get a better deal. The nerve. If I were a dealer, I'd be in jail for throwing people like you over the roof.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
By your above post I can tell you don't have what it takes to be a dealer, you wouldn't last two weeks, the public would size you up and avoid you like the plague.

You're not a haggler but you ask for a better price and make a thread about haggling... This thread speaks volumes about you.
My idea of a "haggler" is not one who respectfully inquires about a better price, but rather demands a better price and hangs around and tries to chisel you on every point to wear your down. Thanks for quoting me, but couldn't you come up with anything original on your own.

I love the people who say "I know the vendor has to make some money too but..." ####. Pay the bill and move on. Panties are for women. I'd love to see these same clowns go to the gas station, the liquor store, their electrical, gas companies and ask them for a better price. "C'mon, can't you do better than that?"

Every once in a while, I get a "Cheap Charlie" and to be honest, I don't want their business, however I can't run them off because they have a mouth and will gladly tell everyone they meet how I treated them bad even though I didn't. Selling to the public is a tough job sometimes, you don't have the option of telling some folks what you would like to. "Panties are for women" strange you should make such a comment, like I said, volumes. LOL!

Go ahead flim flame away I've got my flame proof suit on! :popcorn:

The rest of you folks that replied, thanks. I guess that I am not in the NW so the $600 price is a reasonable one for my area. Thank God I'm not in ozzie land or Europe as they seem to be paying way more. With the devalueation of the dollar I would of thought that American made goods would of been less expensive there. Live and learn.

Last edited:
$540 with an 18" bar, 2 RSC chains, 1 case, some oil, some files. Shopped around and ended up at the local dealer and he made me a heck of a deal.

$540 with an 18" bar, 2 RSC chains, 1 case, some oil, some files. Shopped around and ended up at the local dealer and he made me a heck of a deal.

Wow! Sounds like that dealer wanted to sell that saw to you. I think that your deal is in the minority though. I think I will look at a Husky 372xp as an alternate to the 361. Any non pricing comments about that comparison?

No I bought a MS310, as is in my sig. I don't secretly have a MS361 sitting in the garage. The first part of my post was the going price of a MS361 at my dealer and the second is from when I bought a saw earlier this year, that I didn't ask for or expect a discount.
I see now. I thought you were talking about paying that for a 361. 589.00 and you laid down 453.00 and got some goodies to boot. Now that's haggling. ( I bet you would like to secretly have one stashed in you garage wouldn't you, it's OK to admit it):greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like that dealer wanted to sell that saw to you. I think that your deal is in the minority though. I think I will look at a Husky 372xp as an alternate to the 361. Any non pricing comments about that comparison?

That was at Christmas time and he runs sales on them. My dad bought one a year later than I did for the same price without any haggling, that was just his price. If i have money again this Xmas time I will probably add another one to the lineup.

I don't have to do much if any haggling for my Stihl products. I plow the snow off their parking lot in the winter. I always go there first on a list of about 17 businesses. Haggling, no. Sucking up maybe!:)

By chance, this a.m. I was at the dealer's getting some bar oil [Stihl $7.95 here] and fooled around with the 361 and 441. The price tag on the 361 with a 20" ES bar was $605; don't know if that would get you any "extras" as I didn't ask. They've been that price at that dealer for some time now.

I was just at a Stihl dealer in Wichita Kansas today and they don't stock the 361 but they quoted me a price of $610 which is list I believe. So around here it is a low of $600 and a high of $610 with a pair of gloves and a hat thrown in. They do seem to be very popular on this forum and I must admit I do like their weight when compared to my dad's 031av. I have a feeling that I will be purchasing one very soon to go with my .031, and my new MS260 pro. Thanks for your pricing posts guys!

No one is forcing hagglers to buy at any price, and no one is forcing dealers to sell to hagglers. The O.P. only asked a question, and I.M.O. should be informed of the nature of Stihl's pricing structure (in lieu of brow-beating), and how low dealer profit margins are. You are lucky to get a chain and oil, much less a case or any Stihl at a lower price than M.S.R.P.

But let's not act like all products sell for M.S.R.P. exactly, so that it should be common knowledge that chainsaws (or Stihls specifically) do not. Think of where chainsaws fit within the continuum from automobiles, motorcycles, boats, tractors, firearms, power tools, to hand tools etc- some are negotiable and some are not. I now understand they are closer to the products you don't negotiate on, but I.M.O. it's the nature of the dealerships that throws people off (E.G. Huskies in department stores sell for about the same as in their dealerships, yet no one would go into Sears and offer less than the price tag, as they might in a dedicated Husqvarna dealership). O.T.O.H. some of these guys may very well be walking onto car dealerships and handing over the exact amount printed on the window sticker, and paying M.S.R.P. on handguns, etc.

So to the O.P. yes that has been my experience too. Paying M.S.R.P. seemed a little high at the time (especially comparing with other brands)... but now I'm trying to figure out how they give them away so cheap L.O.L. because if you want a quality C.S. go for it and don't look back. I couldn't be happier with mine and I.M.O. they are worth the price!

Good luck.

Thanks for your support! I do believe that some posters here like to spout off about things just for fun, or what ever they get out of it. I was interested in what folks are paying for MS361's around the country and not looking for harsh comments. I did pick up a new MS361 today for $599 and a case and extra chain for $39, but when I went to pay for it they had slipped in an extra chain as a thank you. I didn't even ask for anything extra! Will they be selling me more? Most likely! Good business on their part in my opinion. Am I a haggler? not in my book!

I don't have to do much if any haggling for my Stihl products. I plow the snow off their parking lot in the winter. I always go there first on a list of about 17 businesses. Haggling, no. Sucking up maybe!:)

Beating the daylights out of them is not a good plan anyways.

Having told the story before, cranking around the corrner on 2-wheels , running late, I have caught my dealer locking the doors.

With a smile, and the door re-opens saying how he has me on 'Sir' time now, is priceless, especially if you really need something to finish a job.

My point is, they have to pay the light bill, same as we do. Asking what he can do on a case of oil and a bunch of chain, is one thing, but rattling there cage over every dime will never work in the long run.

You folks don't know **** about hagglers....

Heck, I'm a contractor and I get haggled every day. Not for $50 or $100, but thousands. Other day, bid starter home in Minnesota. Quoted the guy all parts/labor/inspection fee's for $6900. That was with a very sharp pencil. Guy calls me back, wants me to do it, but can I match a lower bid? Sure, as long as were comparing apples to apples, he says $4800!!! WTF Come on, i'm dumb but not stupid. Maybe, I could move $500, that's it. Loser.....

True Story: received a payment for a bill and it was $10 short??? Note inside envelope says: Bruce, I feel it's fair to deduct $10 off your invoice for the use of my bathroom!!!! Now mind you, I took 1 leak, that's it. what a joke. For $10, I shouldda taken a #2 and plugged that Kohler solid, #####! That note still sits framed in my office.

Let the haggling begin.....:censored:

Back