What's the best stihl fire wood saw for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best stihl firewood saw

Votes: 32 28.8%

Votes: 29 26.1%

Votes: 12 10.8%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters
A 261 is a saw I'd consider. It's making close to the power of this bored out 290 I have and is no where near the weight. I think it was a real good replacement for the 026/260. Take a real good saw and make it better.

When "best saw for the money" phrase is used, I'm not sure any pro model Stihl can be on the list. There is no arguing that they make great pro saws, but you pay for them dearly. The 200 and 241 both come to mind. A saw that size does not need to be that expensive. I don't care how good it is. For example, my ms460 which is a great saw was a hair over $800 in 2003. Fast forward to 2010, my 7900 was $650. Very comparable models, and even being 7 years later the Dolmar was cheaper despite better specs. Dealer support is fine for either saw. In fact the last time I looked at Brad Curtis's website he still had 7900's and is now asking $750.

When "best saw for the money" phrase is used, I'm not sure any pro model Stihl can be on the list. There is no arguing that they make great pro saws, but you pay for them dearly. The 200 and 241 both come to mind. A saw that size does not need to be that expensive. I don't care how good it is. For example, my ms460 which is a great saw was a hair over $800 in 2003. Fast forward to 2010, my 7900 was $650. Very comparable models, and even being 7 years later the Dolmar was cheaper despite better specs. Dealer support is fine for either saw. In fact the last time I looked at Brad Curtis's website he still had 7900's and is now asking $750.

I think that phrase is different for every situation. You could buy a 50cc poulan pro and probably cut a few cords a year for the next 10 years with it.

Some of us want the excitement factor in running a chainsaw and others don't care.

I voted even though all of them are good saws.
We all know Stihl's are the best saw ever created. So the question should not be witch one is the best, but witch one best fits your needs.

I understood the Dolmar 5105 is a Makita with a red jacket rather than Blue? I don't know what that works out in cords but I have cut 100's of cubic metres of fire wood with an Alpina Prof 55 only oils when chain is turning, weighs much the same as the Stihl equiv model & seems to match guys cutting with the offerings from other brands all at a cost of $100 little used & not abused. But every one to his own choice, but I don't like paying more for only comparable performance//reliability
does the alpine HAVE 4 HPAND weigh 10.6 lbs as thesthil 261 just recently got to these un real numbers I doubt if it matchs the261 notcalling you aliar but the 261 is a state of the art saw that not even the dolmar touchs, dolmar has recently been bought by the japs I got lucky and got 1 of the last german saws, I must admit I have not heard much about alpina saws how old is it, ill google alpina saws

NOTHING COMES CLOSE TO THE STHIL 261 WELL MAYBE THE DOLMAR 5105

does the alpine HAVE 4 HPAND weigh 10.6 lbs as thesthil 261 just recently got to these un real numbers I doubt if it matchs the261 notcalling you aliar but the 261 is a state of the art saw that not even the dolmar touchs, dolmar has recently been bought by the japs I got lucky and got 1 of the last german saws, I must admit I have not heard much about alpina saws how old is it, ill google alpina saws
wow the alpine has a great reputation I have a 73 moto guzzi motorcycle so iknow about italys quality in machinery

Really depends on what size wood you have to deal with. I think you're better off with a two saw plan. A 50ish cc saw and a 70-80 cc saw. If I could only have one, and it had to be a Stihl, I'd say a 044 out of your choices. I'd rather limb with a big saw than buck and fell with a little saw.
my partner is in the firewood business full time ive seen him attack 24 in larch logs with his factory orginal sthil261 with 20 in bar and cuts them up for a joke, hes a professional woodsman and his saw chains are frightenly sharp, I know he owns a dolmar 6100 but he says he never uses it, its 13.2 lbs and the 261 is 10.8 I know the model is talked about way to much on this form but theres a reason,,,with this saw there is no need for a bigger sAW for firewood period, I have a dolmar 5105 as it was cheaper its a great firewood saw, but if I cut firewood for a living like my friend rudy, I would of paid the extra 125$ {bc canada price} or so for the ms261, and i almost did anyway, I wonder why I don't see much about the husky 550 50 cc pro saw here, hmm

I could not find much info about the alpina saw. I don't know where you would buy one either.
You would be unable to purchase a new Alpina in the PROF range these days even the parts are getting into rocking horse poo territory, at the time they were produced they had features that were before their time, bar oiler oils only when chain is turning the one I have boasts around 200psi compression separate coil & trigger unit They were not widely marketed in the US in fact the marketing (or lack of was possibly their downfall ) the point of my post was that there are other brands than the big 2 all company's have produced good saw models & some less good The Italians have produced some excellent saws but seemed to limit their distribution to Europe There seems a trend toward if it's not Stihl or Husky then it's no good, in a lot of cases they have never run a non Stihl /Husky brand saw cutting what I would call working to or near the limit & in some cases down grade a unit they have had no experience of The saws produced by Alpina present day are Home use/owner models. But Each to his own. I think I'll be different & start an oil mix thread :clap:

You would be unable to purchase a new Alpina in the PROF range these days even the parts are getting into rocking horse poo territory, at the time they were produced they had features that were before their time, bar oiler oils only when chain is turning the one I have boasts around 200psi compression separate coil & trigger unit They were not widely marketed in the US in fact the marketing (or lack of was possibly their downfall ) the point of my post was that there are other brands than the big 2 all company's have produced good saw models & some less good The Italians have produced some excellent saws but seemed to limit their distribution to Europe There seems a trend toward if it's not Stihl or Husky then it's no good, in a lot of cases they have never run a non Stihl /Husky brand saw cutting what I would call working to or near the limit & in some cases down grade a unit they have had no experience of The saws produced by Alpina present day are Home use/owner models. But Each to his own. I think I'll be different & start an oil mix thread :clap:

Isn't the brand sold as Efco made by what was Alpina? They have some pro models available in the US. They're cheaper than stihl out husky, but i have no idea what dealer support is like.

my partner is in the firewood business full time ive seen him attack 24 in larch logs with his factory orginal sthil261 with 20 in bar and cuts them up for a joke, hes a professional woodsman and his saw chains are frightenly sharp, I know he owns a dolmar 6100 but he says he never uses it, its 13.2 lbs and the 261 is 10.8 I know the model is talked about way to much on this form but theres a reason,,,with this saw there is no need for a bigger sAW for firewood period, I have a dolmar 5105 as it was cheaper its a great firewood saw, but if I cut firewood for a living like my friend rudy, I would of paid the extra 125$ {bc canada price} or so for the ms261, and i almost did anyway, I wonder why I don't see much about the husky 550 50 cc pro saw here, hmm

Dave, it really cracks me up that you started a thread asking which 50cc pro saw to buy, then talked yourself into the heavier and less powerful Dolmar, and now are posting in several threads about how great the 261 is, and that you want to mod your 5105 for more power. Sounds like you should have gone with the Stihl...

I know the dolmar are probably the best power to weight saws...

The only Dolmar I know of that meets that description is the 7900, which can't be purchased anymore. The 7910 weighs more and has less power than its predecessor. The rest of their pro models tend to be noticeable heavier than the comparable Stihl and Husky counterparts. They're very well made saws, but not the lightest of the bunch.

Also, regarding a couple of other posts, the Dolmar isn't a red Makita, the Makita was a blue Dolmar. Now there doing away with the Dolmar name altogether, and the new saws are red Makitas :(. Also, Dolmar has been owned by Makita for something like 20 years. The recent name change and switching some production to China are a bummer though. Seems like a big step in the wrong direction.:(

Dave, it really cracks me up that you started a thread asking which 50cc pro saw to buy, then talked yourself into the heavier and less powerful Dolmar, and now are posting in several threads about how great the 261 is, and that you want to mod your 5105 for more power. Sounds like you should have gone with the Stihl...
i bought the dolmar for 2 reasons other than I know how TUFF they are. they were cheaper, and my dealer loves them and every one and his dog has sthil if the sthil 261 was the same price or somewhat cheaper I would of bought it theres no doubt its the best firewood saw period, in my opinion, im playing with more power with my 5105 as that's what I own, by the way the 261 has 4.0 horsepower the dolmar 5105 is 3.9,, not much difference there, but the dolly is a lb heavier, I didn't plan to mod the dolly 5105,, a lot of us cut our firewood off the same property, and some of the guys started playing around with race cutting for fun, I kind of joined in and decided to do a few little tricks to mod it, before this year I never ever considered race cutting. ive tried my friends newer 261, it has the same power as the dolmar 51o5 but I saved money,,, but got a 1lb heavier saw.

Back