What's the best stihl fire wood saw for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best stihl firewood saw

Votes: 32 28.8%

Votes: 29 26.1%

Votes: 12 10.8%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just a fun question if not a stihl then which saw? I'm saying the 028 026 or 290 is most popular for homeowners who cut firewood.

Take one saw to fell a tree limb a tree and cut it all up witch one would it be?

Really depends on what size wood you have to deal with. I think you're better off with a two saw plan. A 50ish cc saw and a 70-80 cc saw. If I could only have one, and it had to be a Stihl, I'd say a 044 out of your choices. I'd rather limb with a big saw than buck and fell with a little saw.

If I had to pick only one from that list it'd be the 036. Then I'd have it ported of course. They're light enough use all day, and have enough guts to cut decent sized wood. Outside of that list though, if I had to again have only one saw, it'd probably be a 362 or 6100. The newer saws with better AV and filtration are a lot more user friendly, plus stuff like captive bar nuts and m-tronic can save some time and headaches.

I have an 028 and it is fantastic. Runs great, cuts great. Ive also got an MS271. Even smoother and cuts even better. If I had to decide I would pick an 028 because of how sturdy it is. The 271 is nice, its tough, but it doesnt feel like it. It feels flimsy, but its not. Newer homeowner stihls are amazing saws, but the older mag case saws feel much more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, now that I know it doesn't have to be a Stihl, I have to go with Dolmar. I like the 7900, and 5100 combo I have. For a one do-it-all saw I wouldn't mind a 6100.

Alright you want the real best saw.....its the 681Solo. Stronger than the 7900 Dolmar with better springs, Walbro carb and its just plain funky. Finding one may have you searching a while.

For a 1 saw firewood plan 60cc is the best compromise. Light enough to run all day and capable of cutting rounds bigger than I like to handle.

All I had for the first 8 or 9 years was an ms361. When I finally added a 2nd saw it was an ms024. Great little saw but the only time the 024 comes out is is I'm cleaning up a bunch of 8" or smaller stuff. Usually just around the house. When I'm out cutting firewood the 024 spends the day on the trailer. There is no need to go back and forth between 2 saws with the 361.

Does it have to be a Stihl? there are other brands that will do the job of firewood cutting just as well for less money
WITH OUT A DOUBT THE STHIL MS 261 PRO MODEL 51cc. 4 HORSEPOWER, WEIGHS JUST10. 3 LBS OR 10.8 NOT SURE it rocks and its so light your not burnt out at the days end, look at u tube videos I just bought a dolmar 5105 pro 51cc model but it was very very close the sthil 261 was $113$ more so I went with the dolmar {another west german saw} inmy opinion the dolmar is TUFFER but the sthil 261 is lighter. if its firewood your doing you don't need a larger and heavier saw look at u tube and watch how the 261 rips thru 20 in oak its AMAZING GOOD LUCK up here in bc Canada there a sale on sthils righ tnow

WITH OUT A DOUBT THE STHIL MS 261 PRO MODEL 51cc. 4 HORSEPOWER, WEIGHS JUST10. 3 LBS OR 10.8 NOT SURE it rocks and its so light your not burnt out at the days end, look at u tube videos I just bought a dolmar 5105 pro 51cc model but it was very very close the sthil 261 was $113$ more so I went with the dolmar {another west german saw} inmy opinion the dolmar is TUFFER but the sthil 261 is lighter. if its firewood your doing you don't need a larger and heavier saw look at u tube and watch how the 261 rips thru 20 in oak its AMAZING GOOD LUCK up here in bc Canada there a sale on sthils righ tnow
I understood the Dolmar 5105 is a Makita with a red jacket rather than Blue? I don't know what that works out in cords but I have cut 100's of cubic metres of fire wood with an Alpina Prof 55 only oils when chain is turning, weighs much the same as the Stihl equiv model & seems to match guys cutting with the offerings from other brands all at a cost of $100 little used & not abused. But every one to his own choice, but I don't like paying more for only comparable performance//reliability

Latest posts

Back