What's the best weather for firewood cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I fell trees for firewood I like to wait till the leaves are off. Then depending on if it is on my land or somewhere near me that I can leave it for a while I will wait for January and February freezing days to cut it up and haul it out. If it is in someone else's yard I drop, cut up, and haul out all on the same day, but I hate to run a saw when it is above 60F. Now that I have a splitter I will split when I get it rebuild. Before I would want for a hard freeze to split with a X27.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's the other thing if I drop a tree in the winter I dont need to clean it up right away. Summer time there's a good chance I need to mow where its laying. I like to drop a bunch in an area then another day cut them all up then later when I can bring them to the wood pile.

I think I have more motivation to cut trees when its wood burning season too. As my stored pile is burning away I'm cutting to refill it next year.

I concur with Duce.
Too hot, too humid, no breeze.
I have been doing some morning firewood deliveries, and loading out a few 1/4 cord pickup orders for campfire wood, but the humidity has put the brakes on cutting and splitting till we get a bit of a break.
Equipment broke down the first week of July and up and running again, only to do 1/2 cord each, on two additional days since.
Bit of a repeat of July last year.
Time to get caught up on other things however, and often at the end of a day, enjoy the beautiful Lake Michigan beaches at sunset in our area of southwest Michigan.
I am also trying something new to me.
I signed up for a class, two nights a week for six weeks, to learn to row in an eight man shell.
Oh... I read a book called Grant, about Ulysses S. Grant.
950 pages and great from start to finish. :)

Back