What's the big deal with the big dogs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't post pictures of my 'Tool' either. Everyone would laugh at how small it is. Spent 37 years convincing my wife it's just fine. I believe she knows better but never says anything and I'm good with that. Least it clears my zipper so I don't whizz on my pants when I have to go....lol
I have no issues posting pics of my saws and tools. I spend a good many nights chatting (talking) over the "old phone line" with folks about saws. tools, and farming,

Nice sunset Bill... Maybe someday I'll invest in a point and shoot digital camera, but then maybe I won't either. Problem with taking pictures of stuff is, almost always the camera 'sees' thinks that you don't really want it to see.

Why I get a kick out of YT video's. Most times the Vid has stuff in it you really don't want people to see in the first place.

I can pitch a loaf where I want to as well, and do actually. If I'm out in a field farming and I have the urge, I just assume the farmers quat and let it rip, it is, after all fertilizer and I carry TP in the tractors all the time as well as usually a short barrel rifle or a big handgun.

I remember one time, my wife and I were going on a short trip and I had the immediate urge to go, so I whipped off an off ramp, pulled over on the berm and went down in the weeds and dropped a loaf. Problem was, no TP, so I used my undies for TP and left them there for posterity. Not bashful, never have been.

I get why you need the big double dogs when felling big timber, but around here, I sell them to the slashing guys that cut mostly stuff 2” and under, plus the full wraps as well.
Mostly for show in my neighborhood.

No... I have half wrap saws too! Full wrap saws are heavier they aren't for everyone, and they are couple hundred dollars more in cost. Those east Coast guy that like low stumps... I guess the 3/4 wraps handlebars get in the way for them... they don't need long bars or big dwgs. I don't know but they must have a lot more women running loose in their timber if they think us PNW guys are trying to impress someone with big west coast dwg. Not sure about you guys but I don't like carrying my saw around... if I don't have to! In most case a west coast 3/4 wrap saw is more than just the handlebars, you're paying for a bigger chip guard, better/higher volume oiler, better chain catch, etc. If you don't need a 3/4 wrap setup, why spend more money, suffer the extra weight all day long, every day of your life you own that saw... that just nonsense! Not sure who going be impressed around here most pretty much work alone in the brush and if you're working close with someone...they have same type of saw you have. For sure... not everyone needs those big dwg's but there are reasons some people do! Some of us just have different needs, those dwg's are sharp, jump off log with saw that slips off you're shoulder...you're wish you had short dwg's. Those big dwg's dig into you truck bed, bed mat etc. Try sliding your saw in/out of your truck... we don't use them for looks they are not without issues.

Upgrading to a wrap model on a stihl saw is 30-50 bucks...

Upgrading to a wrap model on a stihl saw is 30-50 bucks...
Boy... I wish I believe my upgrade was ~ $125 from the dealer. There were a few more parts than just the handlebars in an OEM Stihl 3/4 wrap handle bar kit. The kit has different AV mounts/spring, bigger chip guard, different PTO/oiler inside cover, the Handlebars, chain catch and (not sure if it came with dogs, I put on WCS 3-point dogs). The 3-point dogs line up with chain so its easier lining up for your Humboldt face cut. So, if it came with OEM dogs I didn't use them.

Attachments

• MS361R.jpeg
    MS361R.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bar mount without chip guard. jpeg.jpeg
    bar mount without chip guard. jpeg.jpeg
    780.6 KB · Views: 0
Boy... I wish I believe my upgrade was ~ $125 from the dealer. There were a few more parts than just the handlebars in an OEM Stihl 3/4 wrap handle bar kit. The kit has different AV mounts/spring, bigger chip guard, different PTO/oiler inside cover, the Handlebars, chain catch and (not sure if it came with dogs, I put on WCS 3-point dogs). The 3-point dogs line up with chain so its easier lining up for your Humboldt face cut. So, if it came with OEM dogs I didn't use them.

You bought the kit afterwards.

Buying the saw as an R model from the dealer is a 30-50 dollar upgrade.

You bought the kit afterwards.

Buying the saw as an R model from the dealer is a 30-50 dollar upgrade.
My understanding Stihl never offered a MS361R model. If you wanted R model back then the guys here in the PNW bought MS460, 461's. Stihl brought back the R model with the MS362. Anyone, with MS361 3/4 wrap handle bar built it, like I did! I have other larger saws with a 3/4 wrap bar but as I get older, I find I use my 361 the most. I was worth it to me to upgrade the saw. The MS361 runs a long bar better then MS362 in my opinion. I just don't use my MS362 much after I got the MS361.

Attachments

• Stihl line up.jpeg
    Stihl line up.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
For felling thick west coast trees. Personally I barely use the dogs let alone need bigger dogs. Its bad for your engine to lever on the dogs too hard anyway. I have reduced the length of the dogs on my old 088 with an angle grinder.
Bad to lever a saw on the dogs? That is the only way to buck large, especially very large, West Coast logs, that is the only safe way to do it with gear drive saws period.

I've cut fir with bark anywher between 2 and 4 inches. Throw some giant Ivy on top of that and you can easily bury the 5" bottom dog on an aftermarket 090 dog.

Bad to lever a saw on the dogs? That is the only way to buck large, especially very large, West Coast logs, that is the only safe way to do it with gear drive saws period.
Sawfun....There probably a good reason you're saying that... I hoping to maybe learns something I've not aware of. Could you explain why this is such a bad idea?

The only problem I have with saw dogs is the homeowner/ farmer cutting firewood and uses them to hog in a dull chain. You know the scenario- the bar is worn half way through within 6 inches of the motor and the chain won't feed at all.
Felling trees and cutting logs in the hand of a pro that knows a sharp chain is required- yes dogs have a real purpose. In the hands of the general public- they are an excuse for lack of chain maintenance.

The only problem I have with saw dogs is the homeowner/ farmer cutting firewood and uses them to hog in a dull chain. You know the scenario- the bar is worn half way through within 6 inches of the motor and the chain won't feed at all.
Felling trees and cutting logs in the hand of a pro that knows a sharp chain is required- yes dogs have a real purpose. In the hands of the general public- they are an excuse for lack of chain maintenance.
Ok... I totally get that ...I've seen some saws like you've mentioned with the bars burned and rocked out chains. Which is why you don't loan out your women, rolling equipment and saws.

Latest posts

Back