What's the Biggest Tree You Ever Felleded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are OLD!!!

LJS said:
Your turn thf to try and show up Rupe Bunyan's picture.....LOL..... my scanners full of saw dust and my arms tired! LJS

George W. Here's an old D7-3T skidding a 6' sugar pine butt log.

LJS,

Did you buy that D7-3T new? Did it have the crank and pony starter options? Things have tons and tons of power for a machine rated at 112hp.

When did you cut that tree in the early-mid 50's?

GeorgeW

Benny......a 528 Cat I think could pull that log if they could get the front up off the ground.
That tree didn't have 5-40's, but the picture of the Doug Fir that we were jacking had 228' of scaled wood at a 10" top, so it was close to 250' tall. It was way down in the bottom of a draw and only 6'7" in diameter. I think 17,000 bft. Tallest tree I ever cut, but not the biggest or the most scale. LJS

Hey George W.

I think Art Martin bought that Cat brand new in 1941. I bought it at a bankrupt auction in 1982. The tree was felled in 1985. LJS

LJS, During you cutting career was most of the big wood passed up old growth found on nasty ground, steep slopes etc? How does one skid out a 6'7" log from a deep ravine? I would think those old Cat dozers would be a????? on steep slopes.

bwalker said:
LJS, During you cutting career was most of the big wood passed up old growth found on nasty ground, steep slopes etc? How does one skid out a 6'7" log from a deep ravine? I would think those old Cat dozers would be a????? on steep slopes.

Heres a picture of LJS and THF on a steep slope after a few pops(Soda's).

macman101a said:
I have fell a 11 ft dia Eukaliptos,and a 10.2 ft dia REDWOOD, over 7ft dia Dug fur, over 7 ft dia Cedar, 8 ft dia Yellow Pine, atleast 7,5 ft dia Red fur, also some other big trees but PISS FUR dont count If taking a tree down in chunks counts I have taken a 6-7 ft dia Oak down in my GrandMothers yard
Hi Mike, we are still waiting for the pictures of the 10' Redwood. Tommy said he thinks you're spinning a yarn. LOL :blob2:

I dont have a picture of it but I could show the stump it is on Pete Batnich's property on Red wood road 4 miles out of corolitos it was next to the creek and the water washed the dirt away from the stump so it had to go before it took out the power lines I will admit it did have a good swell to it but it did measure out 10ft2inch Dennis Cahoon might even know the road it was on he lived close to this area at one time

thf - that last one, dasm! I definitely don't have anything even close to the size of that one around here! Probably the biggest around here would be about a 6' diameter that I have seen.

When I worked for Radias Heliocoptor we had two diffrent logs we had to rip and fly out they didnt come to my landing so I cant tell you how big they realy were but I would gues 6-7 ft yellow pine the bell 214 could not pick one up.So they had to ripped

Here's a 60 series Cat with an log arch. The guy that owned it told me he found the arch at the end of an old skid trail while building a new road. He pulled it out and refurbished it. Fortuna, Ca.
#2 I bought this 1956 KW off-hiway log truck in 1992. Last month, I sold it back to Collins Pine Co. Chester, Ca. for a museum there starting. There is a picture of this truck with 28 thousand bft. on it. I will post some pictures with some big off-hiway loads later. When I worked for Collins Pine, they had 3 logging sides that logged 200 to 300 bft. a day each, 15 to 20 loads a day on trucks like this.

A little comment on the Cat 60.These were the foreruuners of the D7.Few people know it,but these were started with a long bar,in the flywheel[note the notches in the picture]I have seen several of these in restored condition .One praticular one,had a blade,which is rare .It had a huge,single,low pressure cylinder,that attached to the back of the tractor.Nice looking old crawler in the picture.

Latest posts

Back