What's the deal with craigslist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moral to every cl story is get your ducks in a row before you even think about driving or having someone come to purchase something.

I have bought/sold many truck parts, guns, saws, household items on cl. Relay your expectations of condition and price to buyer/seller before either wastes any time.

I for damn sure make verbal contact with a buyer before they know where I live. You can weed out a lot of jackwagons just talking to them. Regardless, if someone is "packing" my home wil NOT be comprimised.

That being said, it must be trouble in other areas because once I make make contact with the buyer/seller around here things go pretty smoothly.

That is so true, and perhaps one of the most important things to establish before going forward with a sale.

Craigslist is just a venue where "people" connect to carry on business of one sort or another. The venue is not an issue, it is the people that are. Whether you are buying or selling something on CL, eBay, local paper, flyers under your windshield wiper, or whatever, you are dealing with individuals. I have had some strange experiences but for the most part, the biggest problem I have is missing out. Today however, I connected (finally) with a guy and purchased a running Stihl MS290, a non running scored 290, a scored 039 basket case, a crushed 029 Super basket case. He is a recovering CAD victim. Anyway, CL is free classified ads and no different to me than finding an ad in the paper.

Be careful selling on CL. My previous neighbor was selling a pair of tires for 200. A guy comes to look at them and offers 100. They haggle a little, disagree, and part ways. Two days later, his garage door was broke and the tires were gone. He got the police involved, but I don't know what the end of the story was. Just be careful, guys. Be diligent with your situational awareness.

I don't mind if my visitor is packing. I live in a shall issue state which means that the majority of people carrying to a business visit have passed a background check not that long ago. Carrying responsibly is almost as much of a statement a person is a good citizen as toting a badge. If they raise any red flags I'll get all the information I can while they are here, at the least their plate number as they leave. Pretty much standard with any visitors I don't know well anyway. Rarely matters but it rarely matters that I was licensed to carry some time back myself.

If I only toted a gun when I thought I might need it, when I finally did need it, if ever, odds are it would be sitting at home. Over the years I carried a six shot .357, a .45, a five shot .357, a medium sized .380 and a tiny .380, pretty much in that order. There is a trend there, the pistols got easier and easier to carry. I can carry a couple of the current .380's and not notice I am toting them. One is just a spare magazine, spare magazine carrier, and firing assembly, saves time reloading! :)

The law shook down the people in a pool hall many years ago and one old hustler had three pistols on him. He explained he toted a lot of money in dangerous places. Never hurts to be prepared!

Hu

THEY HAVE WATCHED TO MANY EPISODES OF AMERICAN PICKER!!!!

Ok Im sorry I got it out of my system, carry on.

Be careful selling on CL. My previous neighbor was selling a pair of tires for 200. A guy comes to look at them and offers 100. They haggle a little, disagree, and part ways. Two days later, his garage door was broke and the tires were gone. He got the police involved, but I don't know what the end of the story was. Just be careful, guys. Be diligent with your situational awareness.

And this is why I meet at public places and not at my home...don't want anyone having a chance to see what else I might have or what my security situation is...always at public places.

And this is why I meet at public places and not at my home...don't want anyone having a chance to see what else I might have or what my security situation is...always at public places.

Yup.....that has always been a concern of mine. But, there are times when it's just too much of a hassle to meet somewhere else.

That CL seller seems to cover most of the NE area..

tried him once,he wants something for nothing,,tho cant really blame him !!

imagine he finds stuff cheap enuf from time to time.

Be safe on selling or buying on Craigslist. A local guy in my town that attends the church were my parents attend was beat almost to death with a baseball bat a few weeks ago. He was buying a flat screen TV. He got out of his car and met a woman and she asked him if he had the money then a guy came from behind and beat him with a baseball bat and took his money. I have a carrying permit and I usually carry my 45 acp with me when doing any sale with a stranger. I never meet at my house and always meet in a public place with people around in daylight.
Sad sad world we live in today.

Must be nice to live in a non-communist state. I have to illegally carry in circumstances like that. Or like picking up relatives at Newark airport. Ugh. Better to be judged by 12........

Must be nice to live in a non-communist state. I have to illegally carry in circumstances like that. Or like picking up relatives at Newark airport. Ugh. Better to be judged by 12........

Some states allow both open and concealed carry w/o any permit, as long as you are 21 yrs. of age and no criminal record. ;)

I know VT allows carry for everyone. Used to hunt up there in the 90's. That was nice.

Back