Whats the deal with full chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here full chisel is square ground (that's where the full comes in).
Semi-chisel is round ground, square tooth (and the most common in usage).
Chipper is round, round. Slower but stays sharp longer (lot of homeowner small saws).
My line of thinking too, and like you said, maybe a territory loacation thing. A full chisel to me, taught by fallers, was always square ground, it was not full anymore once round filed. We round and square file both. Anyone who want's to learn the differenece, can see when you corner into a cut, especially on a humbolt. Much harder rounded, than square, you lose that lower corner when round filed, making corner cuts more difficult. Good call! I hear they now have a round filed chisel type, new to me anyway here, but to me as well that is not full chisel either. It is round filed chisel, which is semi right? Or similar. I agree no way it could be full with only the corner square, and not a square lower corner as well. I know the joke used to be us west coast guys and the big bars and full wraps a skip chains. But land of timber fallers and big wood, until someone has had to square from corner to corner, meet cuts on tress the girth of a truck, reach overhead jack a tree up hill, with little area to escape, and use climbing gear to ascend down a tree, just to buck it, as the ground is so steep. Some things are hard to translate, or explain:msp_thumbup: O.P it is only difficult in dirty wood if you lose a corner, you are done. But I don't care what king of chain if you dull it, you don't cut anymore. Like mentioned by 2dogs, and others, not as good in dirty conditions, but I don't cut much dirty wood. For a production firewood cutter, certainly one who has to skid logs, then buck into rounds, that is just tough all around.

I run mostly RS have a couple RM chains, along with a Couple Husky chains, H 48 I think. Rs chain is the most common around here, I had to order RM special.

Not quite sure what happen, but I went to the barn and I have like four or five chains for each saw now and since I am not a logger Ill prob not need to buy a chain for a while.

H48 is Oregon 73LG/LGX.

That is close to correct regarding cutter style, except that chipper is left out, and what is called "low profile" mostly are semi-chisel (but chisel also exist).....

I see that Baileys still are confusing people by calling 3/8" chain .375. :taped:
Just saw this good call, chipper you refer to, the lower corner right? Some do not realize a full chisel has two corners.

Just saw this good call, chipper you refer to, the lower corner right? Some do not realize a full chisel has two corners.

The chipper cutter is rounded all the way, not just at the corner, like semi-chisel is.

Also, there are sub-types of semi-chisel (regular semi-chisel, micro chisel, and chamfer chisel).

The reason that .375 is a bad designation is that the 3/8" chain isn't exactly 3/8" - so it gets all wrong when 3/8 is "translated" to .375. The real pitch is about .366-.367.

Last edited:
Yeah I know Husky and Oregon are the same, I have one Oregon Branded chain on my 55 which runs, 3/8 .058 18 ".

"Full" Chisel, chisel, semi etc.

Chisel, or full chisel (same thing) is the way the chain is made-not how it is sharpened. You can sharpen chisel square or round, and you can sharpen it round one time, and square the next, though alternating between sharpening methods will take extra metal off. It is still chisel chain, sharpened square or round.

I've experimented trying to sharpen semi-chisel and chipper square on silvey and simington grinders and it doesn't work. Those chains are meant to be sharpened round. However you can sharpen chisel round or square.

In our logging business we always use chisel chain, sharpened square on a machine-because we want them to cut, except on our processor which uses 11BC chain-that is chipper chain. I sharpen that on a machine too.

Latest posts

Back