Whats the deal with full chisel chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see an RM or RMK all day. I wouldn't expect the local Town and Country hardware store to have it, but I would think two full line Stihl dealers would have said "this is what you are looking for". But neither one did. So I have to think they either don't stock it or are not yet aware of it.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on it.

1 cord of wood per touch -up is pretty frequent sharpening IMO. I know some guys will touch-up after each tank. I think since you are paying attention and sharpening that often you are not having any problems.

Try some still RM yellow chain, cuts and cuts, prolly get 5 cord per filing.

Ever cut wood in the northeast?

I didn't see an RM or RMK all day. I wouldn't expect the local Town and Country hardware store to have it, but I would think two full line Stihl dealers would have said "this is what you are looking for". But neither one did. So I have to think they either don't stock it or are not yet aware of it.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on it.

Sounds like they only had green chain -- and you want yellow. Maybe that is easier to ask for at these kinds of shops.

So RM and RMK are yellow ?

I've been buying RS and RSC from these guys for quite a while. I'm guessing they just do not have the current flavors yet. I'll check them again another day.

RM and RS (formerly RMC and RSC) are yellow.

RM3 and RS3 (formerly RMC3 and RSC3) are green.

So RM and RMK are yellow ?

I've been buying RS and RSC from these guys for quite a while. I'm guessing they just do not have the current flavors yet. I'll check them again another day.

RM is yellow. RMK, not sure I don't think that is a stihl chain, are you thinking of RSK?

If there is a 3 at the end of the letters it is safety/green chain. No 3 at the end means it is a yellow/non safety chain as far as I know.

I've been running quite a bit of full chisel since buying bulk and more often I find it cheaper. Still prefer semi chisel for most my needs though and for the same price my choice. The difference isn't extreme but chisel needs to be filed more precise to cut straight so a touch up will often due. IMO the best place for full chisel is pole and trim saws that normally cut clean wood up in the air. Ironically most of the small chain they use is semi chisel.

Stihlrookie, for me FULL CHISEL is never round filed....never. Even if it started out as square file, once it is round filed it is no longer FULL CHISEL. You're confused because you don't know what FULL CHISEL is. Grande Dog tried to show you but you still use the wrong name. You are not using FULL CHISEL. If I am wrong it must be a regional thing but go ahead and let me have it, if you think I am wrong.

Stihlrookie, for me FULL CHISEL is never round filed....never. Even if it started out as square file, once it is round filed it is no longer FULL CHISEL. You're confused because you don't know what FULL CHISEL is. Grande Dog tried to show you but you still use the wrong name. You are not using FULL CHISEL. If I am wrong it must be a regional thing but go ahead and let me have it, if you think I am wrong.

Huh, well I guess the Stihl North America website has no idea either. RS and RSF chains are described as full chisel, round filed. I have a loop of RSC and RSF and they are considered full chisel according to Stihl. I was under the impression that chisel or full chisel if you will was a description of the cutter profile, ie. it is square instead of rounded as the semi-chisel is. Chisel or semi-chisel has nothing to do with the filed tooth shape as far as I know, but what do I know, I'm just a rookie. Cheers.

Stihlrookie your original question was "What's the deal with full chisel chain?" wasn't it?
When you first posted you said nothing about round filing. You called it full chisel. Even your Stihl site refers to "full chisel, round ground". They at least give a qualifer and you did not. So now you know what the "deal" is. I say again it is never full chisel if it is round ground.
If you took a wood chisel and ground it into a screwdriver would it still be a chisel? Well maybe, but not to most looking for a chisel.

Stihlrookie your original question was "What's the deal with full chisel chain?" wasn't it?
When you first posted you said nothing about round filing. You called it full chisel. Even your Stihl site refers to "full chisel, round ground". They at least give a qualifer and you did not. So now you know what the "deal" is. I say again it is never full chisel if it is round ground.
If you took a wood chisel and ground it into a screwdriver would it still be a chisel? Well maybe, but not to most looking for a chisel.

It's no big deal, we agree to disagree. Yes, I should have written a better description of exactly what chain I was using, brand, cutter type and so forth. From what I have read in more than one place full chisel is considered to be a square cornered tooth and has nothing to do with the filing method being it round or square filed. To me full chisel and chisel are the same thing, filing method aside. Let it go.

My original question pertained to round filed square cornered tooth and its supposed difficulty in maintaining a sharp edge, nothing more. Square grinding be it round cutter shape or square cutter shape is a topic for elsewhere.

It's no big deal, we agree to disagree. Yes, I should have written a better description of exactly what chain I was using, brand, cutter type and so forth. From what I have read in more than one place full chisel is considered to be a square cornered tooth and has nothing to do with the filing method being it round or square filed. To me full chisel and chisel are the same thing, filing method aside. Let it go.

My original question pertained to round filed square cornered tooth and its supposed difficulty in maintaining a sharp edge, nothing more. Square grinding be it round cutter shape or square cutter shape is a topic for elsewhere.

I believe you have it right.
There is round ground full chisel chain and there is square ground full chisel chain.
Far as I know all semi chisel is round ground.

I bet the terminology varies by region. Around here, full-chisel refers to the squared-off cutter shape regardless of whether it's round filed or square filed. No matter how you file it, you're not going to change the fact that the cutter has a sharp corner and the top has a full width cutting edge, and I think that's the important point to get across.

Must be regional thing, I've always thought of full chisel as having a sharp edge on the side of the cutter. Doesn't matter if it's round or square ground

I run mostly RS have a couple RM chains, along with a Couple Husky chains, H 48 I think. Rs chain is the most common around here, I had to order RM special.

Not quite sure what happen, but I went to the barn and I have like four or five chains for each saw now and since I am not a logger Ill prob not need to buy a chain for a while.

I run mostly RS have a couple RM chains, along with a Couple Husky chains, H 48 I think. Rs chain is the most common around here, I had to order RM special.

Not quite sure what happen, but I went to the barn and I have like four or five chains for each saw now and since I am not a logger Ill prob not need to buy a chain for a while.

I know what you mean. I've kinda turned into a chain collector. No new chains for me for a long time. :msp_ohmy:

Around here full chisel is square ground (that's where the full comes in).
Semi-chisel is round ground, square tooth (and the most common in usage).
Chipper is round, round. Slower but stays sharp longer (lot of homeowner small saws).

Howdy,
What do you mean by full chisel?
Here's a guide with the correct nomenclature for saw chain.
Regards
Gregg

That is close to correct regarding cutter style, except that chipper is left out, and what is called "low profile" mostly are semi-chisel (but chisel also exist).....

I see that Baileys still are confusing people by calling 3/8" chain .375. :taped:

Last edited:
Back