What's the deal with non saftey chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A month ago, I went to the Stihl dealer where I purchased the 361 to get a few new chains for it. Salesmen comes out with the green label.. I says, I want the yellow.. He says, Ohh.. we don't have that in stock.. I says, Ok..Thanks and proceeded to get my oil and other stuff.. He says.. you don't want these? (green label).. I says, No.. He says, well why not? I say.. because it's garbage safety chain for homeowners and I don't use it.. That's why.. He just turned around and went to put them back...

I don't deal with them anymore..

If he made a statement like that, I bet he never compared the green and yellow chains in actual use.

I recently picked up some .404/.050 Oregon chain with a bumpers on the tie straps. I've never seen anything like it before in .404.

Some of the "safety" chains have some sort of bumpers just to make them bite less and therefore vibrate less. Reducing kick back is a sort of added bonus, but I'm not sure that was the original intent. My 036 came with green chains all those years ago, I have nearly used them up and would say most of the time you don't notice a big difference. I do find them more difficult to sharpen.

Most any chain will cut reasonably well if the rakers are adjusted properly but many won't bore very effectively with the bumpers in place.

The problem with "idiot proof" chains is they just lead to better idiots. I have lots of different types hanging on the wall or on saws that simply set on the shelf.

Mark

today i sharpened a semi chisel stihl safety chain and i accidently ground all the safety humps off:hmm3grin2orange: we'll see how it cuts,,,,, couldnt cut any worse:cheers: i will never buy safety chain ever,,, although i have a couple that came with some saws i have bought used

Found it!!!

non-safety .325/050

can't tell by the online catalog, but the printed on paper shipped in the mail catalog shows NON-safety:

WoodlandPRO 20RC for .20 centavos per link and loops 20" and less pre-made.

the Oregon equivalent 20LPX has bumper hickies....

edit: now 24centavos, old catalog...

Last edited:
How do I phrase this

Safety chain is the answer some regulatory agency came up with in an effort to save stupid people from themselves.

Stop and think for a minute, you have a tool in your hands with 3 to 5 hp and an exposed metal chain flying around a bar at a few thousand feet per minute. If you don't have the smarts to realize you have to be careful and watch what you're doing, the end result is going to be nasty whether the chain meets an ANSI standard or not.

In some cases "safety chain" is more dangerous as it cuts so poorly the user starts to really push on the saw trying to force it to cut instead of letting the saw feed itself properly.

Take Care

i know when you buy a new dolmar they come with that saftey chain. I really dont mind it but that being said i can see where non saftey cut a whole lot faster and better

Wow

DARWIN AWARDS i am of he mind set if you need a special chain to prevent you from getting hurt then you shouldnt be running a chainsaw in the first place!

I don't mind the safety chain, but then again, I haven't tried anything else on my 290. I know my dads saw with the regular chain does cut better, but not enough to make me go out and toss the one I have.

I've got a Stihlership 3 minutes from my house. Only has green chain on display. The good stuff is in the back.

Never knew about the good stuff when I got my saws. Put an RSC on and was amazed at the difference.

Heck Oregon even has what I like to call double safety chain, the low profile 91VJ series with double tie straps. It's a rediculious exuse for a saw chain. Has a cutter, tie strap, tie strap, cutter. Wow

Latest posts

Back