Whats the diff between 55 and 55 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PB, you can get a 455 with the X-TorQ engine with more torque and superior torque band to the old 55's, current up to date technology with the bells & whistles for $320.00 including 2 year consumer warranty, free shipping from Alamia, why bother with a used at $250.00.

Lobo said:
PB, you can get a 455 with the X-TorQ engine with more torque and superior torque band to the old 55's, current up to date technology with the bells & whistles for $320.00 including 2 year consumer warranty, free shipping from Alamia, why bother with a used at $250.00.

I agree but let me explain:
First of all i am not sure if i even need another saw.....it would just be a new toy for me......there is not really a need. Not that a new toy is a bad thing! :rolleyes: :)
The other factor not mentioned is that i would rather buy a saw from my local dealer since they have treated me very well. Any commision paid, I would consider payment for past favors.
So I was just currious about the saw and I knew you guys could fill me in! Thanks!

Lobo said:
$250.00 is too much for a used 55 unless it is a very nearly new saw, in demonstrator condition. Heck its only a 55 model and its power to weight ratio is not impressive.
I can not say anything about the price, I have no clue as to what you guy's pay overthere.
But the saw is great and is a perfect farmer saw, not to small and fragile and not to big and costly.
The power in a 55 is enough, If there is more need for power get a pro saw.
All here is sold with 15" bars, and a few use 18", after the first bar is done the pro use 13" on them, That will handel a 20" tree without troubble.
This is not a pro saw it is not intended to be run all day every day, all year.
However there is still many sold to pro's, that use it with a bigger falling saw.

this post is coming from someone who makes fun of my 395 husky

I wish I were a Husqamayer wiener, that is what I truely want to be! And if I were a Husqamayer wiener, Nobody could cut wood right with me!"
now you are looking to buy a Husky what gives?

brent denny said:
Thanks Trimmed for straightening me out on the differences (or I guess lack of) on those models. Was I off base on the carbs being different too?

I know this is an old post, but I was searching to find out the differences in some cylinders I found at a local husky dealer. I bought a couple cylinders to put a couple of my saws back together(purchased as parts saws).

I got the cylinder out of a 1998 husky 55 (non rancher) it is a closed port and has the decompression valve.

I got another cylinder off of another 55 (don't remember the year) it has the decomp valve and is an open port...

My 55 rancher has a ZAMA carb on it, both of the cylinders that came off of the 55 non ranchers had Walbro's on them.....I haven't had this 55R apart yet, so I can oly assume it is an open port and it does not have the decomp valve on it. Makes me wonder why there was such a varience in basically the same model....

Steve

Freakingstang said:
.... Makes me wonder why there was such a varience in basically the same model....Steve
The model has been made for a long time, and for different markets and different EPA and other "environmental" regulations.
I think the answer is in there somewhere.

To muddle the picture even more, the different versions of the Jonsered 2054 and 2055 is also use the same bore and stroke, even though they are built in a diferent way.....

Take a look at the IPLs and OMs at Huskys website if you havn't done it already.

I think there more differences in the cylinder than just the decomp. valve. I think what trimmed is calling the 55 "classic" was the original 55. It had a closed port cylinder (I think) and was 51 ccs (no, i'm not confusing it with the husky 51, which was 49 cc's). It was rated at 3.4 hp and came with .325 chain and a rim sprocket. The 55"rancher" is an open port version ,with 53 cc's and no decompressor. Rated at 3.3 hp, it came with 3/8 chain and a spur sprocket. I believe the original 55's came with a walbro carb. and the rancher has a zama.
I think you're pretty much spot on cuz I have both and I've looked them over The only thing that's been changed on them is the chains and the clutches and of course muffler mods on both.

I think Husqvarna should adopted the orange and blue for the 55.
This is my 55 DP. 18" br 3/8 Skip chain Holds 11600rpm. bar full bar in log

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
This is not a pro saw it is not intended to be run all day every day, all year.

I don't see it that way.

The 55 isn't a pro saw...you are right. It doesn't have the power/weight of the pro saws of the era.

But, I don't see anything in the 55 build which suggests it's not an all-day, every-day, saw.

For those commenting on 55 value by comparing it to 455 prices. The 55 is a mag-case semi-pro saw...not so with the 455.

Roy

Latest posts

Back