Whats the first NEW chainsaw you ever purchased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never bought a new saw have always run up on used ones in pawn shops.
I really think I got a deal on all of them:
038 Farm Boss: $75
028 WB: $125
028 WB: $150
044: $125
044 w/36 in bar: $75 traded for a load of firewood
041: $0 dad gave it to me since I run his firewood business for gas $$
025: $100

First New Saw

Nothing but the best! A new 1985 Stihl 028WB. The saw has been under water, cut ice off roofs (NY) It has never failed. It is as reliable as death and high taxes. I purchased a Mccullaugh Eager Beaver saw but this one would vapor lock in mid winter. I took it for a ride and gave it a Smith and Wesson 357 send off. I bought a 041 used and used it for the bigger stuff, and finally just a month ago, I accquired a Husky 55 that I put a new ring in today.I cant wait to use it. Ken

Mine was a Homelite 180 automatic that I bought new in 1974 with money from mowing lawns. Used the money from cutting & selling firewood to buy several dirt bikes over the next few years. Got hurt a lot on those %$#@ dirt bikes :bang:

I bought a Stihl 390 and have cut approx 4 cords of firewood so far with it. And I am very happy with it. Starts every time and cuts when I want it to. :)

Prior to that was a $20 Homelite from Wally-Worlds AS-IS shelves, which lasted about 3 hours total.:bang:

Now I'm saving up for a MS460 and a Milling set up....but that will take some time.:laugh:

first tree saw

mini mac six first saw I ever used in a tree.I think it was the first handle over the top saw desighned.

Mine would be a Mac 125sp ported with a open muffler I CANT still hear that thing scream LOL That was one very loud saw I wish I knew what earplugs were for at the time Im paying for it now

Makita 520 or 540. I bought it for $100.00 from a hardware store going out of business in 1999. It has been a good saw, still runs great. I will probably never buy another new saw as I enjoy working on "cheaper" used ones. That little blue saw started me collecting chainsaws. Do not need them, just want them. :dizzy: The bigger the better. :clap:

None. Most I spent was about $150, total, on an 039. Olympyk 935 was $30. STIHL 011AV was free. Cheap Mcc was $10.

First saw

The first new saw, and the first saw I ever bought was a stihl 084, with a 24" and 36" bar bought in 1984. Still have it and still use it although I have added a 54" bar and ripping chain, an 026 and an 034 to the mix.

ok, I know, first NEW saw...but I'll never forget my first saw...early 70s homelite XL...dad bought it to cut some huge dead oaks..I remember him taking it out of the box,gas and oiling it up,,man I must have been 4 or 5 years old...tiny little thing 14' bar and all...he hated it..I think was was secretly afraid of the whole saw thing.....sat unused in the garage for years...when I was about 10 I started working for a guy with a big estate, clearing a couple of acres of brush..I used to sneak that saw out of the house in a gym bag and cut wood 10-11 hours at a time...what a cranky little saw..used to pi$$ mix out the muffler when hot, oiled the operator more than the bar..loved it..bot 4 or 5 more at garage sales to keep it alive...made anice little climbing saw later on...fell to it's death june 16th, 1995, ruled a suicide....went to work for a nursey at 18 as the "lawn and tree guy" German family, they had a mess of stihls...that's when I discoverred what a SAW was....I was just a little guy..but I could cut with that 028 all day long and not get tired..I would just fire that thing up and smile all day long..even put my name on that saw....

Went out a few months back to buy a new ms260, and was disheartened buy all the plastic....so found and old 024av super and have started rebuilding it....put my name on the beetch, cause I'm not going to need another saw...

sorry for the long post.

My first BRAND NEW saw is a Dolmar 5100S. I just got it about a month ago. It is a tight little saw. It may take the place as my favorite small saw.

My little 935 is really a nice, light saw. After cutting crap wood, and climbing through brush for about 5 hours of straight one day with only breaks to get a drink, and refuel, I could barely hang onto my saw anymore. If I would have taken a 1/2 hour break, I would have been fine, but it got dark.

I bought my first saw new. It was a Homelite Super EZ. My dad still has it and it still runs good. I've read posts on here where people brag a lot on them but I never liked it. It was too much work to cut with. It had a 16" bar and it seemed like the chain was too big for the saw. If the chain wasn't very sharp it didn't cut very fast. It was a real durable saw and always started good though. Maybe I should have tried a smaller chain.

It was probably a hardware store Poulan about 40 yrs ago. Should have kept it; as they made them pretty good back then.

Latest posts

Back