Whats the first NEW chainsaw you ever purchased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
back when i had my first job and i was making money.. i decided i needed my own chainsaw, as dads Echo CS-302 was just old and tired.. after a stihl dealer talked me out of an 009 because "the lay down cylinder loads up with gas and it has problems" i went to another place and bought a Poulan Pro 255 (was about 1994 or so) i still have that saw and it still runs.. just needs a thread insert for the front handlebar mount (the one in the cyl)
to this day i wonder why the dealer didnt want me to have that 009..

http://homepages.tscnet.com/dedcow/poulan.jpg
http://homepages.tscnet.com/dedcow/poulan2.jpg

Bar is a GB Powertech.. this bar is what got me not ever wanting a GB...
got the bar about 1997 or so. saw has been pretty much sitting unused for 5 years now..

My first NEW saw was an Echo CS3000, it wasnt what I wanted, but it served me well enough to get the job done.

My first chainsaw was an '05 vintage Poulan Pro 262. I can't believe I waited over 50 years before buying my first saw. I've never had so much fun working in the summer heat. I must be getting senile... or heat stroked. :blob2:

1977 Echo 315 12" bar. 97 bucks with my first ever paycheck as a lowley Echo salesman. Saw still runs great...Bob

Sears (Poulan) in the late 70's, died in the 80's
then Echo cs-330evl around 1992
Still runs great

Last edited:
First saw? it was a McCullcck Eager Beaver.2.0 cubic inch. This thing would vapor lock in January. I am sad to say that I had to give it a 357 caliber send off.My first saw is now landfill. Good riddens. Ken

First brand NEW saw was a Poulan Pro S25DA back in 1984. I purchased it new against my fathers wishes, he was and is a die-hard Homelite fan. I climbed with a Homelite Super Ez for a few years until a friend of mine showed me the Poulan and after feeling how lite it was compared to the Homelite, I went and bought it. First day climbing with saw the attachment ring on the saw broke off ( it had been assembled wrong at the factory) and saw dropped 20 feet cracking the top handle. Of course my Dad gave me the told you so speech as I stared in horror at my baby on the ground. Took it back to the dealer and he fixed it for free and set the attachment ring the correct way. Still have the saw and it still runs great, but I use Stihl now, but I take the Poulan for a ride once in while to a job site.

First saw I ever bought new was the famous poulan wildthing the walmart special $109.00 out the door. First and worst saw I ever bought new next one new was a stihl ms 290 still wish I hadn't sold that saw.

Never a new saw

I've never bought a new saw. My arsenal consists of:

An old Homelite XL-12 my first saw given to me by my father in law
Homelite 300 & 360 handed down from my father, the 360 has since gone to my son in law
Shindaiwa 500 picked up for $100 and still running strong
Shindaiwa 488 used but looks like new for $240 off of e-Bay.

I don't know if I will ever get a "new" saw :cry:

My first new saw was a Stihl 029 that I traded back in a month later for a new 036 Pro.

Poulan 2000 that went 11 years without a hitch till the coil module went out this year. Not bad for $99 bucks.

Husky 372xp, here. Later stolen, and I hope the person who took it chops off some important body parts with it.

first NEW one here was a Snapper 3818 which i cannot complain about, got more work out of it than i ever expected,, and still running pretty good! next NEW one was a MS440...a real time-saver. also have an old homelite and a few older small macs

Latest posts

Back