Whats the first NEW chainsaw you ever purchased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a brand new Makita DCS 520i early this year. For many years I used a handed down Poulan 2000. I need to replace the fuel line on the Poulan and it will be ready to use again. A few years back my wife got me an under-powered little Craftsman. The Makita is a new saw but about ten years old. I needed it. I like it and it only cost me about $230.00 with an 18" ProLight bar and an Oregon 72LP chain. Shipping included.

woodsrider said:
Cool pic, kentucky. Days gone by...
Thanks, but I kinda wonder, why did he have so dang much 2 stroke oil? He rarely used the saw. I'll have to ask him.
He bought that saw right around the time that they bought a small "farm" to go camping (in a cabin) on. He used it to keep the trails clear and cut firewood. It didn't see hard use at all. Even today a guy can't hardly pull the cord without stepping on the saw to hold it down unless the compression release is in.

-Phillip

kentuckydiesel said:
Thanks, but I kinda wonder, why did he have so dang much 2 stroke oil? He rarely used the saw. I'll have to ask him.
He bought that saw right around the time that they bought a small "farm" to go camping (in a cabin) on. He used it to keep the trails clear and cut firewood. It didn't see hard use at all. Even today a guy can't hardly pull the cord without stepping on the saw to hold it down unless the compression release is in.

-Phillip

Since there's 10 cans of oil there, he might have got a 12 pack of oil trhown in when he bought it, and only used up 2 of them? Or at some time in the past he bought a 12 pack of oil, figuring he'd use it more, then only used 2 cans of it?

Just a thought on why he had as much oil as he did.

They are 2 or 3 different designs on the cans, I guess from different years.
Mabey he'd get down to a couple cans, get nervous, and stock up again.
I didn't know those cans came in 12 packs. That makes sence.
-Phillip

Beat this,

My first new/old stock saw was a Husky 288, paid $100 in 1999. I saw an ad in the paper for Husky with a 20" bar. Called and said I would come to take a look at it, because i just finished cutting old dead Black Locust with a poulan s25 nasty stuff. Got to the house, asked how much he said $100, gave him the money and left.

my first new saw was a 1990 jonny 625, great saw within 6 months it walked out of our garage with a mac 610, so i bought another '91 625II, still have it today, runs as good as new. cuts stronger than my 038, not bad for being light 8cc. p.s. the garage is never unlock again.

First saw I used was a Mac15 my dad bought in a moment of weakness. That is where I learned 2 stroke and Tillotson carbs. My first saw was a Homelite Super 2 and the first new one was a Poulan 3000. It served me well until it and my toolbox were stolen out of the truck during a move.
The last new one was a Husky 345 which I still have. Great saw for my needs.
I need to get the heater installed in the garage so I can get a few of my oldtimers running.

My dad bought me a 14" Remington when I was about 15-16. I wanted to cut, but the old Lombard he had was just too heavy for me. We still have both, but they haven't been run in years. First I bought was a Mac 610 which I still have and use although I have robbed parts off two others that friends were throwing away--boy I thought I really had something then!!! But sometimes it still is my choice if a big tree has to come down or I have some butt cuts to make in some tough wood. I just like to hear that old thing run!

A very gutless MS-310. First and only new saw so far. I think i want a 7900 or a 7901. Is it even worth doing any mods on the ms-310?

Homelite sxl925 well, it's new to me. First ever saw of my own. It aint goin no-where either I love it. That's why I'll never own a Stihl... No-one ever wants to go backwards.

Once you taste Stihl you'll never go back.

A used Homelite XL was my first saw, followed by a used 026, followed about a year later by a 046 mag.
Jeff

1st Saw

My first chainsaw was bought for me BRAND NEW as a birthday present in 1977 by my mom and dad. I had moved "up north" to go to college at River Falls and was living in an old farmhouse near Twin Lakes. It had an old Round Oak woodstove and a kitchen woodstove in it. Rent was $25 a month to the old farmer who just was glad to have somebody living in that otherwise "haunted house" prone to vandalism.

I wanted to heat with wood as a cost saving measure and there was a nice oak, ironwood, (and walnut) woods around that place that Mr. Farmer let me cut in. The first fall I lived there I rented a chainsaw for a couple days and worked like hell to cut enough wood. The next fall my dad sprung for a new saw for me. He said go pick one out and I'll pay for it -- but you can't spend more than like $200. I was quite surprised and grateful he did that.

So I went over to Fleet Farm in Hudson that October and the selection was very poor. You might recall that 1977 was during the peak firewood cutting boom time. The only saw in my price range was a Homelite 150AO. So I bought that for like $168 I think.

Later, when they were restocked with saws I liked the Super EZ much better as it had a more accessable spark plug plus a manual chain oiler. But the 150AO did good service for several seasons until probably about 1986 when I got a used Jonsered 451AV for $45 that went at least for another decade.

Still have the 150AO under the workbench and it would still run altho the rewind starter is messed up and I imagine the carb is gummed.

The 150AO vibrated like a pig and had no chainbrake. But nothing ever broke or blew up on it until the rewind starter got iffy.

Dolmar PS-540. I'm not a "new" kind of person, so it had to be a pretty good saw. It is.

Stihl ms361. Ended the 25+ year streak of used saws...though it's not like I'd have bought a 'new' one at 13yrs old anyway.

My first 'respectable' USED saw was an Echo CS3000. Actually used it this morning before leaving for work...

Chaser

max2cam said:
Still have the 150AO under the workbench and it would still run altho the rewind starter is messed up and I imagine the carb is gummed.

The 150AO vibrated like a pig and had no chainbrake. But nothing ever broke or blew up on it until the rewind starter got iffy.

Yeah, I have a 150AO under my workbench too. Was the first saw I ever used. Yes, that was a screwy rewind system on that one, but I've reworked mine so it does okay. Dad got it with the same case and gas can that Kentucky showed. He was going to toss it out, but I couldn't bear to see it gone. Found out later that Dad had split the case, and I still have yet to get it sealed up again. lt leaks. But I never thought it was all that rough running. Always considered it a nice little saw. Not that I've used it much in the past few years. I like my Super XL better, and my 066 even better than that.

The first saw I ever owned was a McCulloch 3200 back in 98, then I had an old pioneer 11-30 (not a brand new saw but my second) then I went on to get a dolmar PS-34 which was not the best choice in cc rating for the stuff I was cutting. I now have a secondhand stihl 034 that I did a partial rebuild on and converted to an 034S/036 (new piston, cylinder, and recently a new muffler) next year in february I will have a brand new husky 385XP which is included with the fees to sit my tree felling and logmaking certifications but my go to saw will always be my stihl

Latest posts

Back