What's the real story?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got a weekend to devote to cuttin wood. Had a big plan in mind. Gonna tear up the woods and haul 92:msp_biggrin: cords home. Wife and I set out Saturday morning to get going on it. Dropped blocked and split 2 truckloads. Had another load ready to be split just waitin. Sunday was an easy start. Just fired up the splitter and whipped out a load. Went back for load 2. Got at least 3 more loads on the ground waitin for the splitter. Could have gotten 3 loads per day but settled on 2. I'm pretty happy but should have done the 3 per day.

OK here is the meaning of (what's the REAL story)
What is the most amount of wood you have felled/ cut/ split/ stacked in a day? I mean standing tree to stacked and waitin to burn.
About the best my wife and I can do is about 3 hours per truckload. (Standing to stacked) My woods is just minutes from my house.
I'm sure we could maybe trim a half hour off that if we busted our butts but 3 hours is a nice pace.

So what's your best??? Standing to stacked...

I'm happy to get a cord a day home, not including the splitting part.

It's an hour and a half round trip to my cutting spot.

I have always figured a 1/2 cord per heaped truckload. so about 1 cord per day is the best we have done as well.

I can't tell you how much I have cut, split and stacked in that order. I do it a little different maybe not the best way. I am helping a friend with a Stewardship program for the state. This involves clearing out area to help all hardwoods. There is not room for a splitter and truck initially. We clear a few acres while stacking bucked logs and come back later to split and move split wood to storage. We have split and stacked 9 truck loads in a day. Storage area is 1 mile from woods about 10 miles when I bring wood to my house.

Many times I will drop 4-6 trees and clean up the tops and then come back for the trunks that need split and just work on those. Once that is cleaned up I'll drop more trees and start all over. This weekend though we had standing trees with 1/3 small and 2/3 needing split. I'm planning on being all over it this week. Gotta play catch up. I'm WAY behind!

It's hard for me to put "time" to a "load" because I don't do it that way. Working by myself and starting around sun-up I usually pick 2-4 trees for felling, hopefully all reasonably close to each other, that I feel I can get all bucked by mid(ish)-day. Normally will then split one (or maybe two on a good day) trailer loads and haul up to the stacks... and call it a day 'round 3-4:00 o-clock. I'll use the next day to finish the splitting/hauling/stacking and usually have it done around 1-2 o-clock. I like to see at least a full cord but usually have a bit more... two cord would mean everything went exactly as planed, it was straight-grained wood, and I didn't get interrupted with family duties and such...

I'm happy to get a cord a day home, not including the splitting part.

It's an hour and a half round trip to my cutting spot.

I settle for whatever I have on the truck when I run out of energy. At 76 that comes no later than 4 hours after I start. Brought home some real small jags this year.

Harry K

this is my first year heating with wood so i am still trying to find out what "efficient" is as far as harvesting my wood, LOL. my cutting sites are 1 and 2 hours away. we moved here a few months ago and i haven't found anything closer yet. excluding travel time me, my wife, and my two sons (12 and 14) can buck (everything has been down already so far), load, unload, split and stack a cord in roughly 3 hours. maybe a bit faster but i've never actually timed us. we have alot of fun doing this together and we don't really "work" work.

I know when it comes to splittin. A 3 person system is COOL! One haulin the wood to the splitter. One just runnin the lever. The third is loading the truck. You can make a lot of wood in a hurry. You get into a good rhythm and the ram never stops moving.

Quite often the wife and I have processed loads faster than 3 hours but not if it needed split. occasionally it takes much longer than 3 hours but that happens mainly when my wife packs a cooler of beer.:cheers:

When I first started burning wood and was new to scrounging with my wild thing and an E150 van a very good day was 1+cords from breakfast to sundown during autumn no-leaves on trees period. Optimal wood length was twenty inches long.
I left the house on a saturday morning with saw, liquids, lunchbox, toolbox and vitamins.

Travel time averaged 30min or more one way on the back roads and hoping the ground was dry and hard so my van wouldn't get stuck.

This was a couple years before I'd found AS so my knowledge was about the same as any other new-to-woodheat person.

Once on site and situated it was methodical; clear the area around the base of the tree, clear the area where the tree was supposed to fall so limbing would be safer, sometimes a weed wacker was needed, and then clear two escape lanes, just in case.
Then go through the face, back cuts , run like hell and wait for the dust to settle.

The limbing usually goes quick, except for the ones that got stabbed a foot or more into the ground when the tree fell, then make a nice rabbit pile to get all of it out of the way and to keep the landowner happy. Then buck to the stem, get those rounds close to the van and take a lunch break, since the saw is cooled off its a good time to tighten and sharpen the chain, refuel the saw, tuck in the shirt as well as get the chips out of the underwear, blow nose, and put the earplugs back in.

Round two; buck the stem and trim those now muddy limbs that got stuck in the ground when the tree fell over. Here's where a hand dolly with pneumatic tires really comes in handy but that was one year away yet but it became a high priority on my mental " next time " list. Anyway, the stem is bucked and now start with rolling the largest rounds to the van get them stacked inside closest to the front to spread the weight as much as possible, this gets really fun and hard on the back as each row gets close to the ceiling. I forgot to mention, the van had four captains chairs since we'd recently had a child, so only seven feet of bed space but full height/width.

Okay, the whole tree is loaded to the top/sides and the doors just close, with the gap between the front and rear seats taken up by the smallest limbwood to make the most of the trip, help distribute weight, and not to waste anything, good thing the rear tires were overinflated twenty or so pounds before leaving home. The saw, fuel, bar oil jugs and toolbox were in the passenger area and the cooler was between the front seats so I can reach that last sandwich and dew to make it home with my eyes open. At this point, it's about two to three in the afternoon with 'too dark to work' at five .

Home, back has that tired soreness feel to it, you know it, the ' better be careful or yer out for two weeks' type of soreness. Gravity is in my favor now, since the borrowed splitter is similar to a didier with the beam resting on the ground so I start splitting from the back of the van and the small/medium rounds make for a good muscle warm up without risk of injury and the rounds will just get rounder but are stepping down from the van to the splitter beam so it is not too bad. One advantage at this point being home, naproxen washed down by swill so it kicks in when the biguns are coming out.

Splitting until the van is empty, hearty hot supper, real meat and potatoes type of meal that you can smell while you are putting the saw on the bench and getting things ready for the next venture and loving how distracted you are by the yummy smells and growling of the innards.

The sun is down, but there is just enough light to run the extension cord to plug in the light hanging in that tree that the wood is going to get stacked against. Time for serious swill and being very aware of how tired and just a wrong step can put the back out for a couple weeks. Smart thing to do is put on the radio with some bluegrass so the pace is steady but not too fast, besides, there's two hours to stack before it's time to read bedtime stories to the kids, plenty of time to get one months winter heat stacked up and empty the hot water heater to start relaxing in a long hot shower.

That was eight years ago, one months heat or just a bit over one cord was quite a full day for this gypo firewooder.

Nowadays, I pick up the phone, the logs come to me and six hours gets a cord cut/split/stacked on pallets for the tractor to put out in the sun/wind for drying. Two cords in one day is long day now. That van was a killer but many of us have a 'grin and bear it' starting point.

Good story. Does bring back a few memories of my first year or two cutting.

To further elaborate on the "REAL" part. I have seen a few posts over the years where a guy claims that he and his wife, buddy, kid etc, have gone to the woods. Cut down the whole forest. Split hauled and stacked 150 cords home over 50 miles of treacherous terrain in the driving snow all with a broken arm and a severed foot.

I always figured they were just dreams or maybe they were drinking a bit heavy and was seeing triple.

Anyways it's good to see that I'm cutting at least average as compared to posters thus far. Looks like about a cord a day is the norm. As I have previously stated. My wife and I can average about one heaping truckload per 3 hours. 2 loads is about all the wood I care to deal with in one day.

There's always more trees down to wrangle, more logs than I can block up, more rounds than I can get through the splitter, and no end to the number of visitors that like to poke the fire.

I have 60 + chairs at the Woodsmoke Lounge, pick one. If you don't like that one, there's more. Wanna Help? Sure, just pace yourself, and put this on. If I tell you I aint happy with your enthusiasm and unsafe-ness, please don't get mad- I am in no hurry.

No, you can not run the saw, or drive Pedro.

No noise after dark.

Last edited:
my "truck load" is a 1988 chevy suburban 1/2 ton 2wd with the back seats folded down to give me the same space as an 8' truck bed exactly, just can't stack it as high. (springs can only handle it stacked about half way to the roof). and i have a 5'x8' utility trailer that can haul around 1400 pounds safely. i am guessing with this mickey mouse set-up i'm getting 1/2 a cord at a time or maybe a bit more.

We usually just get 2 cords and come home. If we do that we don't have to take 2 trucks. When dad goes with me (he's 65) we get 2 cords in 3 hours or so hours. A lot depends on the size of the trees and the haul for the skid steer. That is not split just bucked and hauled home. Last year we had a really good day and brought home 5 and 2/3 cords. When I go by myself it's a waste if I don;t bring home at least 2 cords. When the log loads and dropped off thy are between 5-6 cords. They will be worked up in a day.

Scott

I bucked, hauled, split and stacked three cords one time, but it was such a fluke it never happened again.

I went to the mill to pick up a load of red oak cull logs the guys had set aside for me, and as they were lifting the logs into my 16ft trailer I asked em to hold the logs two feet above the bed.Grabbing the 372 with a fresh chain, I was able to buck to length and just let the rounds drop into my trailer. Almost all the logs were in the 16-20 inch range.Within 45 minutes my trailer was full.

Back to the house I went, and just as I backed the trailer up to the splitter my neighbors boy stopped by and wanted to earn some cash. I told him I would split, he would stack, and I would pay him five bucks per rick to stack it.We went to work. Didnt take long and the trailer was empty so back to the mill I went.
We repeated the process two more times that day, and I was pleased to see that we busted and stacked three full cords, so I rounded his $45 for the day up to $60 and that kid was plum happy.

With perfect wood, red oak and a four way head going, I can bust and stack two full cords in a long day, but the wood has to be perfect sized, the mill slow so they can right on loading me up.But almost always I pay for it in the end by spending my evening in the jacuzzi nursing some sore muscles.

This is what I call a truck load.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can do one of those dropped, hauled, split and stacked at home in about 4.5 hours by myself. If my wife is helping I can do 2 a day. I'd like to see those guys who can blow out multiple cords per day in action, they must be supermen!

This is what I call a truck load.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can do one of those dropped, hauled, split and stacked at home in about 4.5 hours by myself. If my wife is helping I can do 2 a day. I'd like to see those guys who can blow out multiple cords per day in action, they must be supermen!

Not supermen just have different equipment. I have a skid steer with a basket I made that holds exactly 1/3 of a cord(more if you round it). I also take a grapple for grabbing trees. I buck them up and load them in the basket. I can roll the big blocks onto the basket so I don't have to lift them. Fill the top of the basket with smaller stuff. Take that and dump it into the dump trailer. My dump trailer holds an easy 2 cords just dumping it in. Take that home and back up to the Super Splitter. The trailer dumps so the blocks all slide back to you. When your splitting you don't have to pick up anything that isn't almost waist higher because of the trailer. The wood fall off the splitter onto a conveyor and into a pile. You would be shocked at how much more work you can get done with the right tools. A ported saw helps a bunch when your trying to cut a lot of wood in a short time. I love my little ported 261 for a firewood saw.

Scott

Back