What's the real story?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm cutting fenceline, I can manage felling, bucking, splitting (by hand) and stacking one cord in about eight hours. (Which I did today)

It is a little slower, trying not to tear up fence, but not too much so for me working alone. I think my personal best, from standing tree to stacked splits was 1.5 cord in roughly eight hours.

When I first started burning wood and was new to scrounging with my wild thing and an E150 van a very good day was 1+cords from breakfast to sundown during autumn no-leaves on trees period. Optimal wood length was twenty inches long.
I left the house on a saturday morning with saw, liquids, lunchbox, toolbox and vitamins.

Travel time averaged 30min or more one way on the back roads and hoping the ground was dry and hard so my van wouldn't get stuck.

This was a couple years before I'd found AS so my knowledge was about the same as any other new-to-woodheat person.

Once on site and situated it was methodical; clear the area around the base of the tree, clear the area where the tree was supposed to fall so limbing would be safer, sometimes a weed wacker was needed, and then clear two escape lanes, just in case.
Then go through the face, back cuts , run like hell and wait for the dust to settle.

The limbing usually goes quick, except for the ones that got stabbed a foot or more into the ground when the tree fell, then make a nice rabbit pile to get all of it out of the way and to keep the landowner happy. Then buck to the stem, get those rounds close to the van and take a lunch break, since the saw is cooled off its a good time to tighten and sharpen the chain, refuel the saw, tuck in the shirt as well as get the chips out of the underwear, blow nose, and put the earplugs back in.

Round two; buck the stem and trim those now muddy limbs that got stuck in the ground when the tree fell over. Here's where a hand dolly with pneumatic tires really comes in handy but that was one year away yet but it became a high priority on my mental " next time " list. Anyway, the stem is bucked and now start with rolling the largest rounds to the van get them stacked inside closest to the front to spread the weight as much as possible, this gets really fun and hard on the back as each row gets close to the ceiling. I forgot to mention, the van had four captains chairs since we'd recently had a child, so only seven feet of bed space but full height/width.

Okay, the whole tree is loaded to the top/sides and the doors just close, with the gap between the front and rear seats taken up by the smallest limbwood to make the most of the trip, help distribute weight, and not to waste anything, good thing the rear tires were overinflated twenty or so pounds before leaving home. The saw, fuel, bar oil jugs and toolbox were in the passenger area and the cooler was between the front seats so I can reach that last sandwich and dew to make it home with my eyes open. At this point, it's about two to three in the afternoon with 'too dark to work' at five .

Home, back has that tired soreness feel to it, you know it, the ' better be careful or yer out for two weeks' type of soreness. Gravity is in my favor now, since the borrowed splitter is similar to a didier with the beam resting on the ground so I start splitting from the back of the van and the small/medium rounds make for a good muscle warm up without risk of injury and the rounds will just get rounder but are stepping down from the van to the splitter beam so it is not too bad. One advantage at this point being home, naproxen washed down by swill so it kicks in when the biguns are coming out.

Splitting until the van is empty, hearty hot supper, real meat and potatoes type of meal that you can smell while you are putting the saw on the bench and getting things ready for the next venture and loving how distracted you are by the yummy smells and growling of the innards.

The sun is down, but there is just enough light to run the extension cord to plug in the light hanging in that tree that the wood is going to get stacked against. Time for serious swill and being very aware of how tired and just a wrong step can put the back out for a couple weeks. Smart thing to do is put on the radio with some bluegrass so the pace is steady but not too fast, besides, there's two hours to stack before it's time to read bedtime stories to the kids, plenty of time to get one months winter heat stacked up and empty the hot water heater to start relaxing in a long hot shower.

That was eight years ago, one months heat or just a bit over one cord was quite a full day for this gypo firewooder.

Nowadays, I pick up the phone, the logs come to me and six hours gets a cord cut/split/stacked on pallets for the tractor to put out in the sun/wind for drying. Two cords in one day is long day now. That van was a killer but many of us have a 'grin and bear it' starting point.

Thought I was going to be scoring 2 tri-axle loads this year from a bud's property, he can't get the logging co. to come in until next spring. Oh well. Delayed start this year. I have 4-5 cords in the shed from last spring,bunch of felled trees to start working on tomorrow, hope to have 1+ cord(s) cut,split stacked, 2 hits of Advil with my coffee before I go out. You know your 'gettin old when the pain killers are just as important as a sharp chain...:dizzy:

The most Ive collected in one day was approx 3 cord.My father in law had a few large oaks taken down and hes only 10min away so it wasn't that hard a day.Splitting is another day or most times days and when I get to it it gets stacked or if I run out of room with the split piles I stack then get to splitting again.

cant get out this year and cut, but i usually start the day with a 5-7 cord attitude and end up with about 1 to 1/2 cord at the end of the day, about 3-4 in the afternoon. then it takes the rest of the afternoon to get out of the truck and into my house.. just a few places on my body that dont hurt but gratification. i dont cut, split, and stack all at the same time and was able to get 5 cords in one day last year back to my house. all under 8" dia. though and very easy access.

I finally got a weekend to devote to cuttin wood. Had a big plan in mind. Gonna tear up the woods and haul 92:msp_biggrin: cords home. Wife and I set out Saturday morning to get going on it. Dropped blocked and split 2 truckloads. Had another load ready to be split just waitin. Sunday was an easy start. Just fired up the splitter and whipped out a load. Went back for load 2. Got at least 3 more loads on the ground waitin for the splitter. Could have gotten 3 loads per day but settled on 2. I'm pretty happy but should have done the 3 per day.

OK here is the meaning of (what's the REAL story)
What is the most amount of wood you have felled/ cut/ split/ stacked in a day? I mean standing tree to stacked and waitin to burn.
About the best my wife and I can do is about 3 hours per truckload. (Standing to stacked) My woods is just minutes from my house.
I'm sure we could maybe trim a half hour off that if we busted our butts but 3 hours is a nice pace.

So what's your best??? Standing to stacked...

1 cord a day with 2 men a two man saw and a go devil and stacked.3 cords a day cut, split by hand and stacked with 3 guys. 9 cords in one day split and stacked, not cut already on the ground two men and a splitter with a 4 way.7 cords a day 2 men wood already cut with go devils no machine and stacked.

2.5 hours standing to heaped in the leantoo. Gotta get at it as fast as you can before the night time frost comes out this year.

View attachment 255324
255324d1349268534-ppthin0001_1-jpg

This is a good load. It is a half hour away and I can back up to the trees, which is unusual around here. Then I come home and dump it out and split it by non mechanized means as I feel like it. I burn about two cords a winter, so I don't have to push hard to get wood.

I thought about going out to do some firewooding a few months back. I had a beer instead and congratulated myself on how wise I was.....

I do residential tree work. My biggest day so far was about 70 cubic yards of mulch with 2 guys and a crane plus about 10 tonne of log. I've had falling days that were bigger, but that's the biggest 'hauled away in a day'. We have a 20 cube truck with an 18" chipper and a smaller 10 cube truck that carries 3 or 4 tonne. On an average day if it's a big tree, a crew of 3 groundies will fill that chip truck with chip, and the smaller truck with log bucked up to 14" (standard size in aus). The bucked log gets dropped for free at the house of anybody who will take it. You'd think that there'd be a list of people a mile long happy to take 10 cubic yards of bucked hardwoods, but we have trouble finding people. Most people can only take 1 load, and we have a load to get rid of most days. You would think that giving firewood away would be easy.

Shaun

The real story is:

I go out to the wood lot with no tools, as I feel they are an unfair advantage. Eighty year old oak wilt and fall over on their own in my presence. I pick them up with my left hand and buck them to length over my right knee. I walk home dragging my haul with woodland creatures genuflecting as I pass.

When I'm at my stack location, I use a technique learned from the Mendax peoples of lesser Mentir, noted woodsmen, I picked up during my time in the Peas Corps. You probably never heard of the peoples since during my shortened stay with them of just under 2 weeks, I modernized their economy, infrastructure and society as a whole. In present day they're often referred to as "New Zealand."

But I digress. The technique involves clenching rounds of 20" diameter or bigger (smaller than this and I have trouble gripping them) in one hand and splitting off quarters with my forehead. My other hand is holding my beer. My ironclad noggin strikes with such force as to put the fresh split on a ballistic trajectory for the next perfect spot on my stack and the great heat from atmospheric re-entry dries the wood to 17.50% moisture content. Regardless of species.

Due to the volume I can produce, I only harvest once every three years for fear of creating an ecological disaster. The last time I did harvest, ironically, it was to the benefit of all society, as I was called upon to eradicate trees infested with the ALB in the greater Worcester area. That actually took me a day and a half. But I wasn't feeling well then, otherwise I could have had it done before lunch.

Several years ago Garden Goddess and I did two cords and some small change in one day, but that wasn't felling. I was cutting from a log pile, using a big loader to load a dump truck, bringing it home, dumping it, then using the hydraulic splitter. That was just work. I like to keep my cutting and splitting to "fun" levels.

Using just the tractor and tote box, with standing trees, I have done three loads in one day felling cutting splitting stacking, that was about one cord even I guess. Didn't take all day but a chunk of late morning then the afternoon. I cut a lot of small so my cut times are probably much longer than most guys to get up the quantity of cubic feet.

Mostly I am happy to do one third of a cord any given time, but lately I don't try to do it all one day. I will go down and fell and buck until..well, tired, or I have to go do some of my regular chores. Use the tote box and it is filled with saws, pulling chains fuel and assorted whatnot, big prybars, log lifter, ropes, all that jazz. Then go back the next day or soon thereafter after switching to the trailer and haul, then stack up the rounds. I am more liking letting rounds dry and check a little first. Then split when I feel like it in the evenings for 15 minutes to half an hour and stack it then.

Still experimenting on how I like to do things. I have a sort of a goal with my project truck and military trailer, have the truck be always full with saws and other gear and the trailer for the wood. The project is to have a day to day "sneak off for a bit" wood harvesting rig, plus a little emergency fencing repair stuff in there. (these jobs combine, tree falls on fence, must be cut and fixed ASAP...) Want to build a small home made camper top looking thing with shelves and storage compartments and so on, or used cheap slide in camper and gut it and mod. Then I'll be able to go off at odd times and not bother with attaching this or that to the tractor, etc. Have an hour here and there, jump in, go, not have to machinery "gear up" all the time.

Around here, me and a cuttin' buddy will generally load up two heaping truck loads with his split and stacked before I leave his place. I get home and start workin' on my truck load.
Cold frosties are mandatory at this point in the process and I really have to pace myself for fear of getting my chores done before I've the chance to swill a few.
Occasionally I'll have the odd experience of doing nothing more than swilling the cold frosties and working on the fire wood at a later time. Especially if the sound of the splitter engine is going to drown out the music playin' on the truck stereo.
Start to finish,,or is that Finnish?,,and how much ?
Couldn't say,,never paid it any attention.

From tree to stacked splits, best was 1.5 cords in a day. Rarely ever do that since most of my wood comes from residential tree service sources. So i have to get it out before the end of the day. No time to split and stack. Most I ever brought home was 5 loads in the f350. About 7 cords total. Took me a month to get it all split at here and there intervals. Felt like about 9 months of stacking.

The real story is:

I go out to the wood lot with no tools, as I feel they are an unfair advantage. Eighty year old oak wilt and fall over on their own in my presence. I pick them up with my left hand and buck them to length over my right knee. I walk home dragging my haul with woodland creatures genuflecting as I pass.

When I'm at my stack location, I use a technique learned from the Mendax peoples of lesser Mentir, noted woodsmen, I picked up during my time in the Peas Corps. You probably never heard of the peoples since during my shortened stay with them of just under 2 weeks, I modernized their economy, infrastructure and society as a whole. In present day they're often referred to as "New Zealand."

But I digress. The technique involves clenching rounds of 20" diameter or bigger (smaller than this and I have trouble gripping them) in one hand and splitting off quarters with my forehead. My other hand is holding my beer. My ironclad noggin strikes with such force as to put the fresh split on a ballistic trajectory for the next perfect spot on my stack and the great heat from atmospheric re-entry dries the wood to 17.50% moisture content. Regardless of species.

Due to the volume I can produce, I only harvest once every three years for fear of creating an ecological disaster. The last time I did harvest, ironically, it was to the benefit of all society, as I was called upon to eradicate trees infested with the ALB in the greater Worcester area. That actually took me a day and a half. But I wasn't feeling well then, otherwise I could have had it done before lunch.

:laugh: :msp_lol: :bowdown: You win!

The real story is:

At this point I have to call BS. It was looking good but I can't buy 17.50% moisture. Raise that to 17.57% and I'll retract the BS bit.

You have to pay attention to the little things if you want a story to hold water. Had you not slipped there noone would have questioned you.

Harry K

I've never paid much attention to how much I cut per day, but I do know it takes me a lot longer to get to and from the trees than it used to. In fact, When I first started cutting in the Sahara Forest it took me minutes to get there, and now it takes hours. Just glad no one else cuts there!

Latest posts

Back