What's the real story?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real story?

If I'm working by myself, falling, limbing, bucking, piling brush, loading, hauling, splitting, and stacking...a cord a day is about as good as I've ever done. Or wanted to do, either. :)

I usually get my firewood the easy way. If we're on a new sale or if we're building landings or punching in new roads there's almost always stuff that gets pushed aside because it won't make scale for a saw log. Some of it is too scattered to make it worth chipping. I usually have the skidder guys roadside some of the better stuff for me, especially if there's oak or madrone. After work, or when I'm headed to town, I cut it up and toss it in the back of the pickup. I throw it in a green-deck at home and buck it and split it when I have time.
I get enough falling and bucking when I'm working. Having to get firewood that way is just an aggravation. :)

You know, seeing this ole thread just reminds me I might be getting a little bit older...

I do still like fire wood except for the felling, bucking, limbing, bucking, limbing, bucking, brush piling/moving, loading, hauling, splitting, stacking, moving, stacking, moving again, and stacking again part.

I do very much like the burning part.

If I've run up a tank of gas I've cut more than I want to deal with that day, doesn't matter big saw or small. Usually cut between 2 and 7 truck loads a day head to the mill , and I may if it isn't to hot or wet or cold or don't have any disaster to deal with real will maybe load an easy wheel-barrow full of wood to haul home. If I can get some one else to load I just bury them with rounds then claim I need to file my chain while they load the extra. I'll usually have a pile on the landing for the weekend so the crew and friends of the crew can get all the wood they want. We'll I have the crew skid hardwood or buck skins in I just sign the permits.

You have to pay attention to the little things if you want a story to hold water. Had you not slipped there noone would have questioned you.

Harry K

:mad:
Are you guys really gonna' let Marc off that easy?
C'mon, there ain't no way he modernized New Zealand in under two weeks.

Jealousy does not become us, gentlemen.

:D

Jealousy does not become us, gentlemen.

:D

I'm not jealous because I taught Marc everything he knows.

Since I posted this thread a year ago my firewooding ability seems to have not changed. About 2 heaping truckloads a day is about all I care to do. 3 loads would be a pretty big day unless all went real well.

That may change this year. Wifes Grandad is getting his woods logged out as we speak. Gonna have TONS of tops waiting for me with nice new trails leading right up to them.
They are taking everything 18" or bigger of
Ash
Walnut (wont bother with)
Oak
Locust
Hickory
Sycamore (wont bother with)

For some reason they are not cutting hard maple.

I've never paid much attention to how much I cut per day, but I do know it takes me a lot longer to get to and from the trees than it used to. In fact, When I first started cutting in the Sahara Forest it took me minutes to get there, and now it takes hours. Just glad no one else cuts there!

It regrew that fast? I clear cut it over 30 years ago.

Harry K

Little known facts:

There are no trees on St Lawrence Island, Alaska nor on the outer islands of the Aleutians. I was stationed on St Lawrence for 12 months in 1955/6 and 6 months on Shemya 1956. Coincidence?

Harry K

When I first started cutting it was storm damage. Walk deep into the woods. Buck up tree. Carry one piece at a time, two and three as the tree got smaller out of the woods and deposit into truck. Once truck was full drive the 1/2 hour home split and stack.
I was lucky to get 1/3 cord per day and I was whipped.
Then my friend let me borrow his quad and I hooked up two trailers behind it. Wood lot was closer to home. A cord a day was feasible if I worked into the dark splitting and stacking.
Now I have a trailer and can haul a lot more wood and even take my splitter with me into the woods.
A repurposed pop up camper.
View attachment 255971
attachment.php

I did a walk through of the land being logged right now. All I can say is,
GOLDMINE!!!

I'll get some pics for ya all just to make ya jealous. :msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back