What's The Story On This Plug???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farley9n

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up a real nice old Homelite XL 12 in Blue and this was the plug set up. I had never seen one like it before. Went through the saw (cylinder on the right way this time) and then ran it with this plug but the cap would slip off so I replaced it with a conventional set up. Inside the rubber cap is a spring that contacts the plug electrode and a thin wire that pierces the high tension lead. You can pretty much see into the plug. Anyone know about this?????.......Bob

Bob,

That's a FK'd plug (no, that's not a brand)

Put a new plug in it. The spring you talk about with a wire? Are these two separate things? You should have what looks like a coiled spring in the rubber plug cap, the end of this should stick out, bend 90 degrees and pierce the HT lead. If they are two different items then someone has "Made do". Replace with the correct item.

those are OLD champion plugs, from the 50's, commonly used in 2 stroke engine. I got buckets of those from my old neighbour when i cleaned up his garage and sold his old Seagull trolling motors.

the cap (rubber boot) slips off after extended use (wear and tear) , those plugs were normally sold with a plug wire and new boot, the idea being you replace them as a set.

Last edited:
That is a very early production XL-12 you have there.

I used to have one with the same set up.

It is the correct plug & they were made that way.

THANKS for the get back guys! I never stop learning! Here's a few pictures of the saw. It is a pretty early version. I think it ate something early in it's life that grooved the piston and pinned the rings. After that it must have sat for years until I got it. I was able to put in a good cylinder, piston and rings from a later model with a bigger bore. Runs good now. I was going to leave the original plug and cap but it wanted to come loose when cutting. ......Bob

Back