What's The Tallest Tree You've Climbed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK- I was wondering how high you guys have climbed in the trees.
What type tree it was. How high up you climbed.
Whether you trimmed, or removed the tree.
Rec climbing? Pro?
Method of entry.

I removed some Loblolly pines this week, one was close to 140'- 145' tall. Had to tie two tag lines together. Spiked up to around 130', my 120' climbing line was off the ground. Man what a dizzying ride when the top came off. :dizzy:
Thats gotta be the highest up I've been , What about y'all?

Free climbed a 140-160ft douglas fir when I was in my 20's at a party, just to see the view (awesome btw), took forever getting down (no eyes on feet doh!), still have the roll of film I shot from that perch, one day I'll take it in lol, probably pooched but ya never know! Use to free climb anything with branches, those days are long gone now :(

I push one hundred feet several to dozens of times a year, pruning sycamore, oak, pecan, loblolly. Big ladder, long poles. Always spikeless on trimming.

I have climbed several Douglas Firs ranging from 120-180 ft and a few Ponderosa Pine up to 160ft. These were in my powerline clearance days and I have removed trees up to 160ft tall and removed dead tops out of a 160ft and a 180ft Fir. My foreman at the time climbed a 220ft Fir and topped it in the middle and we felled the remaining stub which measured about 8ft DBH. Our method of climbing at the time was throw lining the first dead branches and having a guy tail the line as we essentially free climbed and the rest was flipping into limbs every few feet. These are fine examples of doing alot with nearly nothing, our gear consisted of 120' arborplex, 8' flipline a set of the cheapest gaffs and the worst saddles imaginable. Not very fun dragging a heavy ass saw up at that height. Now owning my own tree business doing mostly residential work we rarely climb up to 75-80 ft.

rebelman said:
I push one hundred feet several to dozens of times a year, pruning sycamore, oak, pecan, loblolly. Big ladder, long poles. Always spikeless on trimming.
All that was asked was how high, not how. I have climbed over 180', climbed over 100' a few times in the same day, many, many times. Like to see you do that with long poles and a big ladder way out in the bush, crawling over hundreds of feet of logging slash, that would impress the hell out of me. :blob2: .

Pruned a ~118' tuliptree Saturday. Used double cmi hand ascenders advancing a tlh, and mar-bars for the feet. Fun.
Over 200' in coast redwoods back when I was lighter and stronger and had more spare time. Saw some sequoias about that high last week but did not have the gear to get into them. Someday...climbed a few 60-80 footers just to get the feel of them. Branches like big feathers, so beautiful.:clap: Even pulled the wifelet up a little one.:help:

The "how" is not an irrelevant detail. woodchux asked about method of entry. rebelman answered. clearance, you may want to read the original post more closely before disrespecting folks who do not disrespect you.:mad:

clearance said:
All that was asked was how high, not how. I have climbed over 180', climbed over 100' a few times in the same day, many, many times. Like to see you do that with long poles and a big ladder way out in the bush, crawling over hundreds of feet of logging slash, that would impress the hell out of me. :blob2: .

You always jump on peoples cases it gets annoying when all you do is barage people.....read the 5th line down in the first post, by the author of the thread.

Method of ENTRY!!!!!

Last edited:
BostonBull said:
You always jump on peoples cases it gets annoying when all you do is barage people.....read the 5th line down in the first post, by the author of the thread.

Method of ENTRY!!!!!

BostonBull, I know I am fairly new to this site but AMEN to that brother!!!!I have been reading on this site for a long time before I joined it, and it never seizes to amaze me how people can act on here...

OK, I was wrong, hasty and quick to complain. At least I can admit it, I was wrong.

climbed 150' on a blue gum that was 160' to gain a advanced tree climbing certificate,after a bottle of turkey the night before as well...

I've pieced down a number of douglas-fir that were just over 200'. Used spikes. One of the advantages of doing municipal and provincial work is you get to do trees growing under conditions that don't appear to often in residiential work.

been awhile

185 feet; Douglas Fir on the Willamette NF for genetically superior cones.
Mostly 150 feet got my grommet puckered water tight.

jefflovstrom said:
Catalina Island off California coast, 180-230 foot eucs. 12 of them to remove.
Jeff Lovstrom

What's up with the eucs on Catalina Island? Are they Eucalyptus regnans? I'd heard that they'd been classified as invasives and slated for removal. It's too bad if they'rer all being taken out since they must be the tallest hardwood or deciduous trees in North America.
-moss

Redbull said:
Trees dont get too tall around here. Worked on a 460' smokestack a couple of weeks ago though.

I just saw a guy on the news fell a smokestack with a jackhammer. Looked like fun.

125 feet has been max for me. In the populated city area if trees get too big people get paranoid every time the wind blows, so there are no giants remaining here. Sycamores and cottonwoods to 150 feet but I have not yet had reason to climb to the very topmost.

treeseer said:
Pruned a ~118' tuliptree Saturday.

Would that be the same tree I dropped the limb on the fence from? 4" branch went through a 4' span of 2x4 like it was a toothpick. I was wondering what that height was on that one. It was getting hard to judge where the limbs would fall from up there. Gotta go fix that fence tomorrow. What's worse, that wasn't my last embarrassment in that tree.:buttkick:

Definitely the tallest one I've climbed in my brief career... when can we do a taller one?!!:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back