whats the worst saws ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroppedP51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
got a bit of storm damage here at moment every man and his saw is out having a play...Talked to a guy with a solo i think it a 635? said he had a bad run with it and it the second one he bought,Looked and felt a nice saw,I didnt use it tho,
Were there any Bad saws?

McCulloch Mac 110 and anything like it (little Eager Beaver). Worst saw to work on. If anyone thinks differently, I'd like to know what's worse to work on than a 110.

husqvarna 346:hmm3grin2orange:

Not the worst,

just THE most OVER rated, along with the 361.

Most all them little "Box store" pieces of crappola are a nightmare.

Funny how the shops only want to work on "Pro saws", can't blame them.

Most "pro saws" are a cake walk to work on.

And most cheap consumers would have a fit when they got their bill, and it was more than the original cost of the saw.

If you can't fix it yourself, buy another, you'll be way ahead.

To the original poster, Most Solo saws are pretty good saws.

But the 635 is just a small light weight saw 36cc and 16" bar.

More for the firewood guy.

Anything Craftsman. They consistently run like **** and the quality leaves something to be desired.

Very subjective question... What is the criteria you are basing the "rating" on? Price, reliability, weight to power, ease of operation, parts availability, design, ability to work on it, number sold, etc.?

Like anything, you can have a good product but produce the occasional lemon.

Anything Craftsman. They consistently run like **** and the quality leaves something to be desired.

Oh really, is that so?

Bring that 064 on over here so I can give you a lesson in humility :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

This kind of thread never ends well.

Mini MAC's are fine until you have to work on them. McCulloch thought the BP-1 was a bad saw, and recalled it. Now it is one of the "holy grails" of saw collecting. Making a blanket statement about "Craftsman" saws is not very smart, as they are all rebadged saws from another maker. The cheap (and much maligned) Poulans work well for the intended purpose at a fair price. Bear in mind that you can cut a whole lot more wood with a running Wildthing and dulll chain than you can with a ported MS-660 and a broken starter pawl. The only saw that even approaches bad in my book is the throwaway "Homelites" from a few years ago. Those had a brake mechanism that would melt and wear with mild use, and render the brake useless without replacing the engine cradle. They figured it out, and improved the design. Sorry, but there are no bad saws in my book. There are plenty of bad owners, though.

Lots of folks bash the box store saws but I good luck with a Husky 136 which lasted for years cutting firewood and ripping a lot of cherry and black walnut. It also NEVER leaked bar oil like my XP 357, MS 361 continue to do. It is however a LOT more fun running the professional grade saws especially the ported 372 XPW.

This kind of thread never ends well.

Mini MAC's are fine until you have to work on them. McCulloch thought the BP-1 was a bad saw, and recalled it. Now it is one of the "holy grails" of saw collecting. Making a blanket statement about "Craftsman" saws is not very smart, as they are all rebadged saws from another maker. The cheap (and much maligned) Poulans work well for the intended purpose at a fair price. Bear in mind that you can cut a whole lot more wood with a running Wildthing and dulll chain than you can with a ported MS-660 and a broken starter pawl. The only saw that even approaches bad in my book is the throwaway "Homelites" from a few years ago. Those had a brake mechanism that would melt and wear with mild use, and render the brake useless without replacing the engine cradle. They figured it out, and improved the design. Sorry, but there are no bad saws in my book. There are plenty of bad owners, though.

Agreed and well put.

I just sometimes get the urge to vent about/warn people of working on them. It took me working on three of them to put it on a "never grab again" list. I still don't know how it took me so long to realize never to grab one that needs work again.

Just a guess here on my part, z71mike, and no offense intended. But, these 3 Craftsman saws, along with Mark's 5.2 are probably older than you! :msp_laugh: So a statement like" Anything Craftsman is ****" can rub some folks the wrong way.

Craftsnmans018.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Definitely the mini macs. i had one and wound up throwing it in the d*** garbage in about 47 pieces. not worth the headache.

Last edited:
Back