what's the worst you've missed a fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went up our property to cut some wood. Decided to take one more Alder down to finish a load. Looked it over and it appeared to be headed right down the road so I made a face cut and proceeded with the back cut. To my dismay, she settled slowly back on the back cut and stayed there. Back to the house for a couple of wedges. Put in a wedge, gave her a couple of taps and there she goes about 90 degrees off from where I wanted to go. In the end it was a much better lie than what I was aiming for so it worked out well.

What's the worst miss you have had?

We were doing a fairly small job. Removing about 100 red pines. Some were near the house, but none seemed to be a big problem. I was falling one of the close ones. It looked fairly easy. Must have been leaning a little more than I thought though. As I was cutting I saw it start the wrong way. Too late. It went 90 degrees from where I wanted it. Luckily the chain link fance that it landed on was put up really poorly, as I only had to replace about 10 feet of it.

worse than JE and then some

John:
Not meaning to sound like I'm better than you. But I'm sure that I'm better than you, at missing, by simply counting my get in a hurry and cut the holding wood off on the back side.
I just did it again last Thursday.
My other mistakes are in volumes 4-6.

Had a Red Fir growing way too close to the house. Climbed up high to put a cable on it (ladder on the roof:dizzy: ) tied to a well set RR tie, hung three buckets of water off the middle of it to try to maintain some pull at the start of the fall. All aimed at a section of bad yard fence that I would be replacing. Yep, fell just right...well it did hit the ground which is my standard but almost 50 degrees off directly across the good section of fence.

Harry K

Award for excellence

We did have a co-worker one year that we felt needed special recognition.

Tepee Award for John H.
A group of trees fell in such a manner that none may ever reach the ground.

My worst miss was over a swimming pool. Good notch, roped off well, but the sucker wanted to go down the ravine so we gave it a good yank and it spun off the cut and landed right in the pool. Thank the good lord for insurance!

I've had two interesting ones, both a while back.

20 years ago, out in Colorado, I was up above Estes Park on a pretty good slope. Aimed it carefully, even opened up the notch to keep it on the hinge longer. Now it had been perfectly still all morning, but this wind came up and as soon as the tree started to tip, pushed it back up on top of the bar...a big stiff wind. Got up the hill and pushed on the tree to get it to go back where I wanted, fortunately it wasn't very big, and got hit with a wind again kind of pushing it sideways, but going back on it's haunches again (I had the saw out by this time). After what seemed like forever, it did fall really close to where I wanted it...just not the WAY I wanted it to.

The other one was a walnut that I had a very narrow window on. Hit the window all right, but a branch with a bit of a "hook" in it was sticking out a bit farther than I had estimated, and slid down a big leaning walnut...squashing the gas can I had put behind the tree for safety. I could tip trees for a million years and never pull that one off again.

Mark

This past summer I took down a 60 foot oak next to my shed that was being attacked by gypsy moths. I thought I was doing everything right, I threw a rope through a Large V in the tree about 25 feet up the tree with good quality New England Safety Blue rope, with a 3 ton break rating to guide the fall, well the tree sat back into the back cut and would not move, tried wedges with not luck, so I thought I would use my large come along, chained it to another tree and cranked down on it, moved the tree enough to get the saw back in the cut and cut a few more inches of the back cut, that is when everything went wrong, the rope snapped the, the tree fell back into the back cut nearly hitting me and hitting the shed, luckily it missed me, somehow the saw was fine and due the shed construction only a little scrape of the shingles was the only damage, boy was that a close one.

About this time last year I decided that one of the dead pines on the other side of my driveway was getting too dangerous, dropped a couple of branches through my front deck roof (Murphy's law, never through an edge panel that's easy to replace) during a couple of particularly stormy nights the winter before. About 50-60ft high and about 18"diam., located between main power lines to another house, my house, several large firs and cedars and a fence running in the direction of the planned fall. The landing zone across the driveway has two large cedars on the house side, a 15' gap then a largish fir, the gap giving me about 10degrees to aim for, hm shouldn't be a problem me thinks, pretty basic. Pre-roped the victim and ran the rope around the trunk of the fir and down the driveway a safe distance so that (in theory) I could keep it from debranching the cedar as it fell. My friend and me tied the end of the rope to his Cutlass and put very slight pressure on the rope, maybe a hundred pounds max. Did my face, checked directions again, everything going fine, did the backcut, it started to go over just exactly right...... then, what tension there was, pulled it ever-so-slightly and into the fir it went where it hung on a 2" branch 30ft up.........GAH!! :help: just kill me now Kk, so I throw a thick line over it, retrieve it with a long pole and tie both ends to buddy's trailer hitch and tried to pull it away from fir tree, down the road.......to no avail. By now my several visitors are getting amused and the laughter is starting to sting a bit. We pull harder, digging two trenches down the (wet sandy) driveway and spinning 50,000km worth of rubber off his new tires (well her tires, gf's car) and, snapped the rope. Finally, by now quite embarrassed, we reset some new lines and ran car on the other side of the cedar (my poor lawn) and basically pulled down and forward on it, and it finally came down with a hefty nudge onto its intended mark where I quickly dealt with it while bud filled in the ruts. To add insult to injury what had killed the tree in the first place, page wire fencing, made short work of my sharpening job when I was in the backcut and couldn't stop, :bang: It worked out fine in the end and no hampsters or bunnies were harmed in this endeavor but it was 30 minutes of my life I'd rather forget thanks. There is a lot to be said about keeping one's cool in such situations.
Notes to self, 'Pay attention stupid!' & 'Buy a 100' length of 1/2" cable.'
In retrospect I could have easily used a spanish windlass in the first place to pull it off instead of wasting gas lol. Oh well.

not my story but one from my uncle who worked as lumberjack for over a decade around here...

he was sawing some rather big forest (+25cm pine, +20m tall or so)... there was this big pine near the border of that section of forest and a huge Y shaped pine on other side of property and somehow he managed to fall the huge pine straight into the Y shaped tree... took him few hours to take down the pine from other tree :hmm3grin2orange:

Miss? What do you mean? I don't understand. You mean some of you guys miss your target? :laugh: :laugh:

Really, I've never had a catostrophic miss yet. I've had trees veer off target on their way down, but never had one freak me out or hit anything...that's residential removals included.

And now that I've said that.....:bang:

Hit the wrong beer can two trees down in a felling contest but I wont admit it because nobody got it on film. Was a fast felling job though.

Rotax

Sprig said:
<snip>

Notes to self, 'Pay attention stupid!' & 'Buy a 100' length of 1/2" cable.'
In retrospect I could have easily used a spanish windlass in the first place to pull it off instead of wasting gas lol. Oh well.

Reminded me of when I was stupider than I am now. 30 years ago last summer when I was young (well relatively) I sold a lot to an equipment dealer (he wanted to expand his parking area). I logged off the locust. Had one tree about 24" dbh growing right next to the house. Up a ladder and tied off with a rope to the pu. Face cut, back cut, wedge. no go, pull with PU. Rope snapped. Repeat the 'up ladder' bit on a tree that was on the verge of falling to put a better rope in. That time it worked. Swore that there would never again be a rope used to fall a tree - cable only. No, the pants were not salvageable.

My kit now includes abour 170 ft of 1/4 and 3/16 cable in 4 sections, 3 snatch blocks, shackles. Use them plus the PU for snaking logs out of bad spots as well as a rare problem falling job.

Harry K

Tsi

In the late 70's I started my first TSI job.Being green my chain saws were a little small.So I bought a brand new super large Echo for the big trees.Had a beautiful 30" Beech that had to come down.Perfect crown,and really full!Why does this tree have to come down?Did my face cut.Perfect!Gonna go just where I want it.Start the back cut.Half way through tree drops and sits on bar.No wind and just sits there!Now it starts to fall.Tipping right at the head of the saw.Squashed just like a bug.Dealer wouldn't' warren tee it!Oh by the way the center of the tree was really rotted out!Da!

Latest posts

Back