Whats This chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brushcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I have this STIHL chain its a 15" chain 3/8 pitch .58 guage and i'm fairly sure its full chisel the box is marked rapid too. How ever i can't ID it to get a file to sharpen it, i also don't know the angles for it but i'm presuming 30 degrees.

I took this pic of the Tiestrap and a drive link with the marks on them which don't relate to anything on the box or on my sheet of STIHL chains. The cutter just says STIHL and 3/8.

Thats the chain (click for 1600x1200 goodness) any help IDing would be great its still sharp and undamaged but i'd like to be able to sharoen it.

If it's full size 3/8" chain then use a 7/32" file, just like every other 3/8" chain.

Stihl has some oddball file size (13/64" I think) they recommend for Stihl 3/8" but I've never used it, always 7/32" on 3/8" chain.

7/32 seems to fit, file is dam close to the raker though guess thats what you get with fresh chain. 30 degrees will be fine, i've only got a .325 chain guide if i can stick a 7/32 file in there would that be OK or do i need a 7/32 one.

Is this the first 3/8" chain you've ever owned? I'm not sure how to answer your questions. I'd like to be helpful but I don't want to talk as if you've never sharpened a chain before, unless this is actually the first time you've ever done it.

Not the first chain i've sharpened just the first STIHL one, i normally use Husky chain which is 3/8 but uses a 25 degree angle and 10 dip. This STIHL chain is so much better last longer between sharpenings and cuts better i don't want to bugger it up by sharpening it wrong.

I was looking for all the ID makes on the tiestrap and drive link but none of them related to the box (unlike husky ones). I've got a .325 STIHL filemate but for my Husky 3/8 stuff i use a roller guide.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
7/32 seems to fit, file is dam close to the raker though guess thats what you get with fresh chain. 30 degrees will be fine .....
Not that 7/32 will not work nicely, but I suggest that you try 13/64 as recommended by Stihl.
I have used both on 36RSC and 36RM and have settled for the 13/64.
The only problem is that I don't remember exactly why....:confused:

Edit, I remember it now - it is no big deal.
You have to be extra careful to get started correctly on a new RS chain, and the smaller file makes it easier.
It is also better to use the smaller file at the last part of the cutters life - so why not use it all the way, as Stihl recommends?

Last edited:
Using the wrong file guide will likely place your file at the wrong height on the tooth. The first filing on a new Stihl chain like that requires you to swivel the 7/32 file around square to the chain to get it to drop down between tooth and raker then swing it back to meet the tooth. That may be where the 13/64 file is preferred but the problem is only the first filing. If you are using something like a clamp on file and joint jig it makes it impossible to drop the file directly in. Just file to maintain the same angle and hook that is on the original tooth.

I've got a 13/64 file and a STIHL guide but it doesn't look as good fit as a 7/32 file. Don't think it will get down to the bottom of the cutting face when at 30 degrees.

If you are calling the side of the tooth the cutting face area, and that the file will not contact all the way down, that is quite possible. The profile on a new tooth is done with a grinder (with Stihl perhaps before chain assembly) and it may not be exactly part of a true circle. The circular side of a file may not match it exactly but it will after you file it. 30 deg. is a good workable angle.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
Not the first chain i've sharpened just the first STIHL one, i normally use Husky chain which is 3/8 but uses a 25 degree angle and 10 dip. This STIHL chain is so much better last longer between sharpenings and cuts better i don't want to bugger it up by sharpening it wrong.

I was looking for all the ID makes on the tiestrap and drive link but none of them related to the box (unlike husky ones). I've got a .325 STIHL filemate but for my Husky 3/8 stuff i use a roller guide.

No "dip" on Stihl chain. 30 degrees across, and 0 (flat). Stop by your Stihl dealer and get the booklet - "Sharp advise for chainsaws owners". Might be available on their web site. I get a lot of customers asking me how to sharpen chain - most I just hand out the booklet, sell them a file and guide, and they are happy.

Back