what's with all the hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went today to pay a sales call to a potential client of mine. I say potential, because he has yet to give me any money, but he does have work that he wants me to do this year, and a price that we agreed upon.

We got into a discussion about the work that another company had done at his place and he said that while the crew was there wrecking his property, they were also battling it out amongst themselves, apparently in full view for everybody to see and hear. While he said that there was no physical altercations that he could see, he did say that there was a LOT of yelling, and that one of the guys wound up sitting in the truck for the bulk of the job.

Last winter when I worked for a couple of morons, the two bosses got into a shoving match at least one or two times, and they would regularly yell and argue with one another over who was the lazier of the two.

I used to yell and curse at the ground crew, but I have since gotten over that, because it doesn't get me anywhere. However I will admit that once in a blue moon I will curse and yell at the ground crew, but it's a seldom occurence.

Why do some people in this business feel they need to yell, curse, argue, and fight in order to fix their problems?

I used to yell and curse at the ground crew, but I have since gotten over that, because it doesn't get me anywhere. However I will admit that once in a blue moon I will curse and yell at the ground crew, but it's a seldom occurence.

Why do some people in this business feel they need to yell, curse, argue, and fight in order to fix their problems?

You used to yell and curse at your ground crew. Why did you need to do this?

My tree boss yelled at me once he called me Forest Gump.When he came down from that tree I grabbed him right by the neck with one hand picked him up.You should have seen his eyes then I threw him on the ground. I said I will do what ever you like but don't disrespect me. Now he acts like he is my best friend.:dizzy:

My tree boss yelled at me once he called me Forest Gump.When he came down from that tree I grabbed him right by the neck with one hand picked him up.You should have seen his eyes then I threw him on the ground. I said I will do what ever you like but don't disrespect me. Now he acts like he is my best friend.:dizzy:

Thanks for that Forest. :)

I went today to pay a sales call to a potential client of mine. I say potential, because he has yet to give me any money, but he does have work that he wants me to do this year, and a price that we agreed upon.

We got into a discussion about the work that another company had done at his place and he said that while the crew was there wrecking his property, they were also battling it out amongst themselves, apparently in full view for everybody to see and hear. While he said that there was no physical altercations that he could see, he did say that there was a LOT of yelling, and that one of the guys wound up sitting in the truck for the bulk of the job.

Last winter when I worked for a couple of morons, the two bosses got into a shoving match at least one or two times, and they would regularly yell and argue with one another over who was the lazier of the two.

It's an intense job which breeds intense men. I'm a pretty mild mannered guy and both my crew and the other crew I work with are top notch but even still, I occasionally gotta check myself. When the pressure is on, the machines are running full bore and nothing's going quite as it should it's hard sometimes not to pop a vein.

We never fight because everyone knows their job and does their job. We make good coin, get to work outdoors, drink excellent coffee and eat good lunches, and we try never, ever to finish late. What's to fight about?

If I need hostility I'll stay home with my woman.

"Ow!":buttkick:"You're not staying home. Go to work, you idiot!"

:agree2: Yup, yup.

Seriously, I think a certain kind of person is attracted to this type of work more than others. And like BM said, the work can bring it out of a person on top of that. It's not a human resources job. But we all tend to respect the crews a bit more that don't have to yell or fight and get it done professionally.

We never fight because everyone knows their job and does their job. We make good coin, get to work outdoors, drink excellent coffee and eat good lunches, and we try never, ever to finish late. What's to fight about?

"Ow!":buttkick:"You're not staying home. Go to work, you idiot!"

Plus your Canadian

I am not a yeller usually but do something stupid that will get someone hurt, I can be guilty of loud strong reprimands. In my younger supervisory days I learned yelling was usually counter productive I got boys that started yelling at each other one time and I brought a set of boxing gloves the next day and went way out from public eye to settle their disagreements. They were both puzzled neither wanted to box but it sure stopped their yelling.

yelling

Along time ago i decided if i have to yell at some one then they have to go.Who needs that kind of stress.If there is a guy who doesnt have much common sense or has the i dont give f--- attitude better to lose that person.I try to run my business the way i would have like to have been treated working for someone.That is respect number one is safety pace ones self.Tell your guys nice job when things are going well.I worked for one guy no matter how hard you worked and great job you did always had that puss on his face sucks going to work for some one like that.

I was a bit of a yeller in my younger days, mostly because of my crackhead boss. The stress sort of trickled down.

These days I only yell when someone shuts my chipper off in gear, or almost chips my rope or some stupid crap like that. But I'm mostly cured at this point.

I was a bit of a yeller in my younger days, mostly because of my crackhead boss. The stress sort of trickled down.

These days I only yell when someone shuts my chipper off in gear, or almost chips my rope or some stupid crap like that. But I'm mostly cured at this point.

Huh wonder what he'll do if I start the chipper in gear:hmm3grin2orange:Hurry someone tie mds tail off it is almost lunch time lets see if we can get him riled lol

Last edited:
It's an intense job which breeds intense men. I'm a pretty mild mannered guy and both my crew and the other crew I work with are top notch but even still, I occasionally gotta check myself. When the pressure is on, the machines are running full bore and nothing's going quite as it should it's hard sometimes not to pop a vein.

Throw in an irate neighbor and you have a recipe for disaster. When things get me too hot under the collar I take a break. One other thing: if the customer tells you he has a neighbor who is a lawn Nazi I tell them right up front that if he becomes a problem we are done for the day and the police may need to get involved. I try my hardest to communicate with property owners adjacent to the work and let them know what we are doing but you still get that occasional hyper type!

What gets me is a stupid barking azz mutt make me have to yell. I would not have a stupid dog but their are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many that are they just never shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I admit to a few shouting matches. I don't raise my voice any louder than I have to. I won't cuss them, or call names, but I will be heard. I've gotten much better since the idiot I was dealing with left after I threw him off my crew at the ice storm in Arkansas. He was a useless distraction anyway.

It's very rare, and ends with someone being done for the day, or week usually.

When I'm on my own doing residential, it's all good or they go home.

I'm generally a good natured guy that solves things peacefully, but once I've past the edge the ante has gone up.

I'm open minded and creative, but sometimes things just have to be settled the old fashion way. It's not easy being in charge, mostly you can't tell who is in charge on my crew, but I will pull rank if I have to.

What gets me is a stupid barking azz mutt make me have to yell. I would not have a stupid dog but their are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many that are they just never shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duct tape has many uses, lol. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Back