what's with all the hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to yell when the machines are all a buzz just to put a little fire under a newbie's tail. It's a wakeup call. I always make sure they see me smile as I walk away and that is my seeing that they got the message, eyes open, chin up, and follow the leader, get out of your head kind of yell. If you don't see me smiling as I go then they get the message it's time to look for another job this one doesn't suit you.

We worked him for several days and he tried his intimidation bs. I looked him dead in the eye and said boy you are 22 and I am 41 and your boss, we can either work or fight its your choice but you will do your job. I never had one problem outta that boy and he worked hard until he got a job on an oil rig.
I had one just like that, he knew it all, the other crews were scared of him and sent him my way so when he showed up we set the record straight real fast that I wouldn't put up with his crap nor would I be intimidated by his large nearly 7ft tall stance, on the third day he walked off the job site because I wouldn't let him do it his way even after his hissy fit.

I won't say I'm perfect, I yell sometimes on the job but I try not to do it in front of a customer and it's usually over a safety issue.

I have been known to have some real meltdowns before thought. My last real good one was when I didn't have my normal rope guy and had to use my second hand. I had two young guys working with us as well. My second hand is only good as a mule. He can run a saw but it's best not to put him in a position where he has to make decisions. He is 50 something. I was roping limbs from a cottonwood out from over a roof and had my bull rope set up in another tree to swing the chunks. It was critical to let the wood drop at a certain point or it would swing back into the house. For this reason I had told all three of them that I only wanted one man on the rope. I didn't want three minds (well maybe 1 mind between the three of them) having to react in the event I needed to tell them to drop a piece. I had taken a few smaller limbs with another line that I had set in the tree I was in and had had to repeat myself twice as all three of them kept wanting to hold the rope. I kept telling them that that was what the wrap was for, I didn't need three on the rope. I finally took a large limb that needed to run and when I cut it the other two had gotten back on the rope, all three of them was holding it and the shock jerked me out of my gaffs. I came unglued. Needless to say, I didn't have to tell anyone to get off the rope again that day.

I don't like to argue and fuss period, let alone in front of customers. I can get a little loud when I get excited or stressed but I try to be even keel. If there is someone who just isn't getting the picture I usually let them go before they make all my hair fall out and I will not put up with anyone being argumentative with me. Ideas are great but I am the boss.

Oh yeah, the yapping dogs get under my skin too. I just spent the past two days on a job listening to one.

Last edited:
I won't say I'm perfect, I yell sometimes on the job but I try not to do it in front of a customer and it's usually over a safety issue.

I have been known to have some real meltdowns before thought. My last real
I don't like to argue and fuss period, let alone in front of customers. I can get a little loud when I get excited or stressed but I try to be even keel. If there is someone who just isn't getting the picture I usually let them go before they make all my hair fall out and I will not put up with anyone being argumentative with me. Ideas are great but I am the boss.
:agree2:
After so many years and so many gm s ya come to realize that the good ones are by far the exception no matter how good your intentions. The flip out is constructive sometimes but usually it just gives tension for at least the rest of the day and it is hard to get back to a relaxed level.

Right now I have a pro for a gm. Got him certified and, at 29, he loves the job and, even if he doesn't stick with me, this is his career, you can tell.
Haven't had to flip out in a few years but....still remember how to. I save it for the wife when she backs the new car into a pole.:cry:

My tree boss yelled at me once he called me Forest Gump.When he came down from that tree I grabbed him right by the neck with one hand picked him up.You should have seen his eyes then I threw him on the ground. I said I will do what ever you like but don't disrespect me. Now he acts like he is my best friend.:dizzy:

You would have been fired on the spot, with my company. Physical contact is a whole different story than verbal back-and-forth. There's no excuse for it.

I have only yelled at my right-hand man, Dan, a few times. We yell at each other, on occasion, to blow off steam. We're still tight. Yelling at ground crews gets you nowhere, as I see it. It's far easier to just replace the guys who are getting you to the boiling point.

i disagree.

You would have been fired on the spot, with my company. Physical contact is a whole different story than verbal back-and-forth. There's no excuse for it.

it is very rare but sometimes it is necessary.some people are so arrogant and/or stupid that they need to be knocked around a little.this job is dangerous and stressful enough at times.i'd rather see someone get thrown on the ground or punched in the schnoz than someone fall from a tree or get caught up in a chipper.not to mention the guys that swing around with saw chains still spinning or walking through brush with a finger on the trigger.

Back