What's wrong with the maples?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Western NY gal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in Rochester, NY. I noticed a few days ago that one of my maple trees (30+ years old) doesn't look like the rest of the trees in the neighborhood. There are sparse green leaves near the top, but the majority of the tree is laden with brown 'helicopters'. The helicopters that are not still on the tree are covering the yard, driveway and sidewalk. They appear to be already dead or dying while still on the tree. It also smells near the tree, possibly from the helicopters?

There are 4 others in the vicinity that aren't quite as bad as mine. I mentioned it to a co-worker and she said she looked in her neighborhood and saw the same thing. She lives about 10 miles from me.

I've read some other posts and can see that I need to look closer at the tree and see if anything else seems odd. I just thought maybe there was something going on in the tree world since it's not just my tree but seems to be spread out.

Info/thoughts?

I can do that, but not until tomorrow. (and assuming I can figure out how to get the pics on here!)

Should I post them in a reply to this tomorrow or start a new thread?

Thanks

A reply will work fine. Posting pictures is easy; even I can do it. Try to get unusual-looking spots on the trunk, and cut one of the seeds in half too.

Western NY gal said:
but the majority of the tree is laden with brown 'helicopters'. The helicopters that are not still on the tree are covering the yard, driveway and sidewalk. They appear to be already dead or dying while still on the tree. It also smells near the tree, possibly from the helicopters?

Please excuse me for my ignorance but what are these "helicopters"? I haven't heard of that expression before ... well, only in aviation not trees.

The maple seed is carried in a propeller-like pod, which causes it to twirl like a helicopter as it falls. I assume the idea is that it helps carry the seed away from the tree.

Winged seed capsules are called samaras, aka helicopters. they twirl as they fall, which keeps them aloft longer so they can fly farther from the parent tree.

Ekka you got any trees with samaras, or is all you have eucs?

"They appear to be already dead or dying while still on the tree."

The wings are supposed to be dry; that's so they fly farther. Which is why I asked that you take a pic of the seed cut in half ;) ; if it too is dry then the tree has major issues. It could be just that it flowers and seeds form and fly before leafing; seems normal for some maples to hold off on leafing out.

musher said:
The maple seed is carried in a propeller-like pod, which causes it to twirl like a helicopter as it falls. I assume the idea is that it helps carry the seed away from the tree.

Howdy to Musher from a fellow dog sledder.. Welcome to the site!

Ron

what's wrong with maples?

Western NY Girl-I also live in Rochester and the maples in our neighborhood are doing the same thing. Hubby and I went for a walk this evening and holy cow, the neighborhood is covered with these. I'm curious to know the reason also. I'm going to cut one open to check the seed. I'm having other problems with my ash.

Maples here are having a heavy seed load too.
I think it has to do with weather patterns. Heavy seed loads can be an indication of stress, but I have noticed them on years when there are ideal growing conditions too, what's up with that?
Trees do react slowly, so maybe its seed load is an indication of weather stresses from the previous year or even longer ago.
About three or four years ago the Oaks in my area where really loaded with acorns. I never saw anything like it. You could hardly walk under the trees, but the squirrels where fat and happy.

Ok, I think we're in different time zones because I didn't read your post about cutting the helicopter in half....but I have stepped on them and they are green and soft inside. Hope that helps.

I looked at the bark/trunk and didn't see any bulges or holes or bugs or sap.

Here's a picture of the crown. My files are big so I will have to post another pic in the next post...

(hope this works)

Crown and trunk look normal. I wish every tree I was called to look at had "too many babies" as its only problem. Take a few more pics of the base of the trunk if you want, but your tree looks good so far.

The abnormal heavy seed crop is normal occurance in larger trees. These years are called mast years and the occur at a regular frequency. The amazing thing is all the trees in an area seem to "know" when to do it.

Western NY gal said:
Thanks! I feel better now, except for all the sweeping and cleaning up I have to do. (Hope it doesn't ruin the lawn)
I know that after looking at all the benefits those trees deliver, and will be delivering more of in the future, the work that they create is a minor matter.

Thanks for posting.

the seeds are so overabundant from stress this year because of the ups and downs from very wet to very dry. its almost like they try to spread more because the stress may cause future death. every 3 to 4 years we get this invasion that makes a mess.

Latest posts

Back