What's wrong with this picture...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I'll measure them, but they look like 6-32 screws to me.. Available at a real hardware store. I might make a list (I think there are only 2) of the screws in the common carbs.

Thanks, a list posted here would be great! I have a carb kit, and while I have it (carb) apart, I'll change out the screw.

My parts gathering for the 044 is coming along slowly but surely...finding a good used tank/handle assembly that isn't cracked or repaired is not easy (anybody got one for sale?) I know where I can get a new one for a reasonable price, but they only come with the new flip-open fuel caps, and I want the old style cap tank. I guess I'll have to be patient.

Kevin

It's not a Stihl issue - it's a Walbro/Zama/Tillotson issue... and those carbs are used everywhere. One stupid plated steel part in the carb and the potential for rust exists.

Water in the gas is the real problem. Use fresh mix, no alcohol if possible, dump out your gas cans now and then, don't store it in a saw for more than 60 days etc etc.. If your saw dies and you suspect water in the gas, flush it out and clean out the carb - don't shove it to one side and get back to it months later.

This won't happen in every saw or area, but it sure does happen a lot out here, and more frequenjtly than in the past. The saw in question wasn't even three years old!

Sorry if I've missed a post discussing this, but any idea if synthetics are any better or worse in terms of longish term saw "storage" (saws sitting, that is) than dino?

Stihl tell me that there is much less chance of separation due to moisture in Alcohol containing gas with their synthetic mix than the dino.

My friggin' dealer didn't order any more Stihl Ultra... all he had was Super. Ticks me off! I need some Ultra for this weekend!

Gotta murder some trees on "Earth Day"...LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

Thanks, a list posted here would be great! I have a carb kit, and while I have it (carb) apart, I'll change out the screw.

My parts gathering for the 044 is coming along slowly but surely...finding a good used tank/handle assembly that isn't cracked or repaired is not easy (anybody got one for sale?) I know where I can get a new one for a reasonable price, but they only come with the new flip-open fuel caps, and I want the old style cap tank. I guess I'll have to be patient.

Kevin

I have an extra tank assembly(old style caps). The thing is it's missing a post the carb mounts on and the ignition post is stuck(wont move, needs replaced). I don't know if the tank leaks or not. It doesn't have the fuel line or impulse line(i think, not sure though). That's all I can remember about it though. If you still need one send me a PM and I'll check it for you. Evan

Last edited:
I have an extra tank assembly(old style caps). The thing is it's missing a post the carb mounts on and the ignition post is stuck(wont move, needs replaced). I don't know if the tank leaks or not. It doesn't have the fuel line or impulse line(i think, not sure though). That's all I can remember about it though. If you still need one send me a PM and I'll check it for you. Evan

PM sent.

Kevin

Couple more. Last two are of the chain brake cover if thats what you need. Evan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back