Whats you favorite wood to cut/burn.... -Stove Pics-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Scotland, Silver Birch is abundant and there's lots of stands needing thinned, so it's my favorite burner wood... Oak is good for overnight but is harder to come by.

any oak i find and hickory and if i have a lot of cotton wood ill use it too. Im not all that picky the cotton wood is great for getting some coals down bottom. RED OAK is my absolute favorite.

Of course White Ash, "Ash wood wet or ash wood dry, a King will warm his slippers by"

Ash is often called "the Firewood of Kings" since it burns well even when freshly cut. Others are fine but second to Ash.

It is too bad Ash is being ravaged in some parts by a Chinese import!

White ash is my primary wood for the stove. It is by far the dominant species on my land but i am in the area of central NY that is affected by the chinese emerald ash borer beatle that is desimating ash trees across the northeast. Beech and hard maple are also plentiful on my property and they burn nice and hot as well. My stove is a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 insert and it is a phenomenally efficient unit with its reburning design. Last year's winter was long and exceptionally cold, the stove burned for about 5.5 months and I only used 13 face cord of wood. I was very pleased considering my house was 80 degrees on average throughout the winter.

20160110_083554.jpg

Red Oak is my favorite to cut, split and burn. Only downside is that it just takes sooooo long to properly season, and dead or dying trees tend to develop punky sap wood quickly. But since I split by hand, it's hard to beat straight grained Red Oak...it just pops open so easy.

Stove is a Hearthstone Castleton. Puts out good heat, easy to get 500*+ surface temps with a low damper due to the secondary burn. But one complaint is the lack of an ash pan and relatively small firebox with a low ceiling...hard to get a full 8hr burn. It is also cold blooded until it reaches operating temp with a good bed of coals.

20151110_074329.jpg

Favorite saw to cut firewood with is one of the huskies in the list...'nuff said!

Red Oak is my favorite to cut, split and burn. Only downside is that it just takes sooooo long to properly season, and dead or dying trees tend to develop punky sap wood quickly. But since I split by hand, it's hard to beat straight grained Red Oak...it just pops open so easy.

Stove is a Hearthstone Castleton. Puts out good heat, easy to get 500*+ surface temps with a low damper due to the secondary burn. But one complaint is the lack of an ash pan and relatively small firebox with a low ceiling...hard to get a full 8hr burn. It is also cold blooded until it reaches operating temp with a good bed of coals.

View attachment 477600

Favorite saw to cut firewood with is one of the huskies in the list...'nuff said!

And here I thought I was the only one on here that still uses a shoulder actuated wood splitter...ha ha ha! Can't beat straight ash or oak for an easy "pop".

Yep, I hand split every piece that will bust open with a maul. And if they are stubborn I will toss aside for the wedge and sledge treatment. And if that doesn't do the trick, they are tossed into a pile for noodling or borrowed/rented hydraulics.

I put up around 8 cord this past year, probably 80%+ of it split by hand. Good exercise and stress relief, it is!

Yep, I hand split every piece that will bust open with a maul. And if they are stubborn I will toss aside for the wedge and sledge treatment. And if that doesn't do the trick, they are tossed into a pile for noodling or borrowed/rented hydraulics.

I put up around 8 cord this past year, probably 80%+ of it split by hand. Good exercise and stress relief, it is!

Yes it is...on both counts. Also a good way to introduce my 2 boys to a hard days work and seeing it's result in the form of heat in the winter.

The "Chernobyl Reactor"
image.jpeg Any hardwood will do if it is free to cut and within 10 miles of home. That being said; locust, hophornbeam, oak, then ash.

Ample local supply of ash due to EAB.
Oak, any variety, relative straight grain and splits easy
Recently gotten for Osage and impressed with the burn time and BTU.
Free, cut and split is my all-time favorite.

That is the best part, enjoying the rewards of your labor. Right now it is a balmy 5* out with fresh snow cover but it sure is toasty here by the stove!

I buy and burn oak logs from the local forestry.
I split with an axe, extreme knots are noodled.
It takes long to dry out, but it burns really nicely and at a steady pace.

I am not picky on alternatives, a warm house is this winter ensured with some oak leftovers from 2013. and a mix of pear, cherry, hornbeam, hazel, fir, willow and some other wood and bush types.
Once dry they all burn well.

I also like acacia, burns great but not too fast, can be stored for ages without rotting - just can't get any lately.

This was supposed to be my 2015/2016 firewood:
DSC00173.JPG + DSC00337.JPG + DSC02387.JPG = DSC00650.JPG

But I had a lot of this stuff:
DSC00180.JPG DSC00680.JPG

Therefore it still sits outside accompanied by a new pile of small sticks (upper left corner second picture):
DSC02305.JPG DSC02306.JPG

I came to realize that I have no pictures of my stove/fireplace, I'll have to take some.
These are off Google, I have one each:
slavonac.jpg Amity.jpg

stove 3.JPG I burn mostly Hedge (osage) and use a Husky 562 and a 262. My stove is 37 years old and still
burns like a brand new stove! stove 1.JPG stove 2.JPG stove 2.JPG

Latest posts

Back