whats your fastest way to start a fire in outdoor woodburner in the rain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The slickest fire-starter I have ever used is a combination of dryer lint and candle wax. I use a fry pan the wife no longer uses and melt a few candle butts(or garage sale candles) and mix in some dryer lint. The mixture will look like a hairball from a cat. i place a 4 x 4 inch piece of newspaper in an old cupcake pan and fill it about half way. Just light the newspaper and let it burn. They work awesome for camping too.

I used lighter'd knot pine when I use to start a fire regular. OWB now and runs year round. Lighter'd knot is the best natural fire starter I know of. We also used it to make planting pegs when tobacco was still being grown here too. It won't rot.

A shop rag soaked in kerosene, maybe a shot of used oil,,burns for quite a while.
In the go-rodge I use the "starter logg" mentioned earlier.
My OWB doesn't go out. In mild weather I turn the aqua-stat way down and keep very little wood in the stove.
Standing in a hard blowing snow, or freezing rain, I will, sometimes, swill cold frosties tending the hungry beast 'cause it makes me feel like Grizzly Adams..but not because I have to.

Well... if you're looking only for speed, it's hard to beat Primacord or some other PETN based product.

Not very safe though, not recommended for anyone.

Well, I don’t have an OWB so I really don’t have anything to add…
But I haf'ta say, thinking about standing outside in the rain starting a fire :msp_mad: has added one more to my list of reasons not to get a OWB :msp_sneaky:
Have to agree, that's why I built a building for mine. Keeps me and my years supply of wood completely dry. I too have only started mine 8 times now as I've run it for 8 years. Coals in mine will burn close to 2 weeks when loaded.

I don't miss the higher insurance/ fire potential, feeding several times a day and being cold in the morning if I don't get up to feed it, Wood mess and dust in the house, smoke in the house, bugs in the house either. Yes, it does use more wood but the pluses outweigh the minuses for me too. Just have to find what works best for you and that is why this site is so great. You can figure out what works the best in your situation.

MVC-019S_26.JPG

I do it similar to how I do with the indoor stove. Newspaper and kindling. I tend the kindling sticks around the newspaper and then put the bigger splits around it.

With the blower going, I can go from no fire to full burn with big pieces in about 30min.

But I'm with the others, when it's warm for only a few days, I just let the burner keep going. It really doesn't use much wood. But if I let the water cool down and have to heat it all back up that thing really eats up the wood.

But I haf'ta say, thinking about standing outside in the rain starting a fire :msp_mad: has added one more to my list of reasons not to get a OWB :msp_sneaky:

well spider,
i'd venture to say if ya did have an OWB, your's would'nt go out either...
i light one fire in mine a year, as i don't burn over the summertime..
if the temps warm up spring or fall and it don't call for heat for a few days, or weeks, mine as well as others goes on standby, so to speak..

The OP is the only one who has had this issue of the fire going out. Every other OWB owner who chimed in has questioned why the fire went out in the first place. Many people love the feel of wood heat inside their home but I wouldn't let one guy's neglect persuade my thinking one way or another.

No OWB in this house, but I get pallets from work and cut them up to get my insert going. Dry hardwood pieces get it going NICELY with maybe 1 or 2 of the "fatwood" sticks.

Mike

THANKS AGAIN,YES I LET IT GO OUT TO CLEAN THE CHIMNEY PIPE,WHICH I WANTED TO REMOVE AND INSPECT,AND EARLIER WHEN IT WAS 65 DEGRESS OUTSIDE MY WIFE WAS .................SAY COMPLAINING IT WAS TO HOT,SO I DIDNT RESTART IT,TILL IT WAS TO LATE,AND AM UNDER THE WEATHER,CHEST COLD AND SORE THROAT,SO I GUESS I GOT LAZY,AND PAID FOR IT:bang: MY OUTDOOR WOOD BURNER IS DIFFERENT THAN SOME MODELS=IT ONLY ABOUT 40" LONG X 24" WIDE X 30" TALL APPROX....ITS CALLED THE LIL OUTDOOR WOOD FURNCE,IT DOES NOT HAVE A DRAFT FAN,JUST SIMPLE DRAFT,LIKE BARREL HEATER,IT SITS 3 FOOT FROM THE HOUSE.,,,,ITS A GREAT LITTLE HEATER WITH BIG BTU'S.....HAD IT FOR 5 YEARS.......1500 NEW...GREAT HEAT THO.

Latest posts

Back