What's your favorite bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Baileys Motion Lotion cut 50% with a bunch of 15 year old or older 2 cycle mix and motor oil. It is all new in the bottle, but old, seems to work good for 60-80 degrees. That's my year round temp here on the Central Coast of California! I have a few old cans of McCulloch from the 70's that I'm keeping.

For my own use I use spill oil when the distributor has any. Otherwise I buy bar oil in bulk 15-20 gallons at a time. Right now the job I'm on uses Stihl Bio Plus at $20.00/gallon, we use 5 gallons a week. I like to dilute Bio Plus by 1/3rd with Costco canola oil.

I like the green Poulan jug from Wallyworld. Plenty sticky and works well in both summer and winter around here. Runs about $7.97 per gallon. Have used Stihl, Husky's, TSC and Dolmar brands. Wally's is always cheapest and works well enough.

I've been using Motion Lotion for a few years now.
I think it's a great oil in cooler weather.
In the summer it gets too thin and seeps out of the saw during storage.
Is this true with any of you guys using Motion Lotion?

I've been using Motion Lotion for a few years now.
I think it's a great oil in cooler weather.
In the summer it gets too thin and seeps out of the saw during storage.
Is this true with any of you guys using Motion Lotion?

Yup tends to leak out more than others.

I like a 50/50 mix of diesel drain oil and high sulfur gear oil. It's messy and it stinks bad.

Seriously, I'd like to start using a biodegradable bar oil, but I haven't seen it on the shelf locally and I'm not mail ordering bar oil.

Whoa! Didn't know shipping was that high! Thanks Scott.

i put a case in my cart and was getting ready to buy it and had a brain fart and checked to see what shipping would be,, glad i did,, i figured maybe 15.00-20.00 or so but when i clicked on calculate shipping it popped up 35.00,, needless to say i started to convulse and shake like i got a puter virus,,, seriously though,, if it had only been 20 or so i would have gotten a case,, but i think i am going to go to TSC and get a gallon of their brand and a gallon of the poulan just to try them,,

I just drain crank case oil out of my Ford Diesel pickup and use that.
Want a saw?

Just kidding, I actually use the Green Poulan bar lube from Walmart.
It works good, and easy to get.

I just love the motion lotion from Baileys.
My dad had some and I used it
works great.

I wonder if the green jug from Wallmart is the same as the Husky bar oil. I use nothing but the TSC or the Poulan bar oil. It just depends where I'm shopping when I need oil. They are both usually within a dollars of each other pricewise. I hear the Poulan synthetic mix oil is the same as the Husky synthetic. I'll be running that as soon as my supply of Woodsmans Pro is used up.

I like free bar oil. I have been using helicopter at the transmission oil that is drained service intervals from the helo trans specified by the manufacturer. The oil is still plenty good, and clean, no blow by breakdown like you get from used motor oil. It is a mix of 40w ashless dispersant aviation oil, and synthetic 75Wgear oil. plenty of stick, and still flows in the colder weather quite nicely. I have not experienced any increase in B/C wear or issues over standard quality bar oils that I have used in the past, plus the price is a BIG factor.

Latest posts

Back