What's your favorite bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Napa R&O hydraulic oil $28 for 5 gallons.Summer or winter.Ive seen Itasca Bar oil lately for $8.99/gallon.If I use bar oil,it will be the green jugs of itasca I guess
The itasca is tops but not that common these days round here.
Someone can let me know where it can be found in the central Ar area I appreciate it.

member Beefie and I went togeher and bought bulk oil this weekend- he made the arrangements, something about how they fell off a truck in jersey, and we had to pay shipping and a small fee,, cash of course :)

attachment.php

I know we got a great deal, but it was not easy filling the stihl. Maybe flippy caps would have been better.

attachment.php

Cheap & sticky..I couldn't care less about the brand.

That's what she said :msp_biggrin:

Walmart special for me, usually the cheaper the better. My brother gave me a bottle of Bi Mart (chain store in the Pacific NW) bar oil called Durex. I like it the best of what I have used so far, its dyed like pink so you can see if it's on the bar or not.

Last edited:
I know we got a great deal, but it was not easy filling the stihl. Maybe flippy caps would have been better.

attachment.php

Might want to try putting some of it in a smaller bottle, would be a bit easier to fill the saws with :msp_wink:

I like the TSC oil, it's tacky enough to more or less stay put on the chain, but not so thick that you don't get any flow. My MS290 likes it better than the Stihl oil. It does get a bit stiff when it's cold, but I ran it in 20 degree weather last winter without any trouble. Just let your saw warm up for a minute before going to town on the wood.

You can't really beat the price either. :msp_biggrin:

Get a manual pump or electrick pump, and fill the old jug this is how we do it here. they don't cost much.

Small job and small saw = old maple syrup bottle, filled from the 1gal jugs
big job and big saw = 1 gal jug with the top off an axle oil qt bottle

Either way I'm with most everyone else here... I buy the $5-$8 per gallon at TSC, Theisens, etc... I've learned that some tractor supply stores have cheaper B&C oil in 1 gallon jugs in the motor oil section NOT the chainsaw aisle.

Small job and small saw = old maple syrup bottle, filled from the 1gal jugs
big job and big saw = 1 gal jug with the top off an axle oil qt bottle

Either way I'm with most everyone else here... I buy the $5-$8 per gallon at TSC, Theisens, etc... I've learned that some tractor supply stores have cheaper B&C oil in 1 gallon jugs in the motor oil section NOT the chainsaw aisle.

I'll have to check there next I'm there :)

Might want to try putting some of it in a smaller bottle, would be a bit easier to fill the saws with :msp_wink:

good idea, but beefie had other plans of his own- he cut the top off the drum and dunks the saw so it can fill :hmm3grin2orange:

Back