What's your favorite campfire wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious as to what is your favorite species to burn in the fire pit?

I like cedar or pine as the crackling and aroma brings me back to the canoe country as that's all you have up there to burn. I also like a good maple fire with a nice bed of coals and silent blue flames around the bottom of the logs.

Currently I have more white ash than I can handle so that is it.

Falling apart half rotten stuff, big pieces of bark, stuff like that. Uglies that are too hard to split and too dirty to noodle. Anything I really don't want to bring into the house for the stove, but is still technically wood, but would be compost in another month or three.

Falling apart half rotten stuff, big pieces of bark, stuff like that. Uglies that are too hard to split and too dirty to noodle. Anything I really don't want to bring into the house for the stove, but is still technically wood, but would be compost in another month or three.

Yep, that's what's usually in my campfires - all the funny shaped pieces that are hard to stack and the half rotted chunks.

I have some hemlock to burn in the pit. Have some nice dry cedar as well but man does that stuff pop, I get coals the size of a quarter jumping out of the fire on to the patio. Spruce has a nice aroma to it also.

A mix of Jack Pine and Paper Birch makes a good open fire... nice flame, low smoke, smells good, moderate heat, satisfying snap-crackle-pop, not too much coaling, minimal ash left behind.
If it's for cooking I like small splits of stuff that coals-up fast and long lasting, such as elm, oak and such.
Really though, I'll burn whatever in my fire pit (except Box Elder)... not much punky stuff (leave that lay in the woodlot), but all the ugly, short, and gnarly-twisted stuff.

I am in the "anything i don't want to put in the indoor stove" group. Uglies, twistys, stuff with big globs of sap on it.

If I am cooking something I'll start with a good bed of birch coals, toss on a bunch of green/ wet/ fresh alder and start the salmon filets skin side down.

I love to burn Cedar in the camp fire.
Reminds me of growing up, brewing coffee over the fire, the smells :)

I usually just burn what ever I can scrounge up, if I am burning at home.

Out in the woods is what ever my Huskys can cut up :)

Whom Evers mugshot is there above ric flair has been burning creosote and cca treated fence post on their camp fire. What's a little dioxins when your cooking meth!

I took mostly pitchy hemlock over to the kayaking camping session last week. I had also delivered a wet Scandihoovian Candle to friends in the desert about 6 weeks ago. I was amazed to find it much lighter in weight and we burned it too. Firewood bundles were available for $6 at the campground. We didn't have to buy any and stayed 5 days.

Latest posts

Back