Whats your favorite climbing boot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like the Asolos, try the Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) house brand. They are made by Asolo without the fancy badges and colors, and are much more reasonably priced.

For the Gaff try the Bailies climbers. I've had several pair of Redwings, Chippewas, and Westcos. Bailies last longer and are about half the price.

Spurless, the Danner Ft. Lewis rocks. For gaff work nothing is more comfortable than a pair of Whites #375 with triple linemans shank and roughout leather.

I always liked the red daugs from baileys. I am getting a pair of "lites" next week after i decide what topping saw to get. My red daugs outlasted my red wings and are half the price. I get red wings for cost +10% and no discount at Baileys, but i am still getting the red daugs and baileys price to the public is still cheaper than red wings at cost +10%:bowdown:

I'm curious about the Asolo boots. I've never heard of them before. Do they come in a 8" high top with a fiber toe? I've used Danner for the past few years and I find them real comfortable although they are expensive. Wesco's dig into my achelies tendon and just cripple me. I've always maintained that the best boot is the one that fits your foot. Everyones foot is shaped different and flexes differently than the next guy so it is just a matter of trial and error. To each his own. For prunning I used to wear a high top tennis shoe.

Shespen said:
I've always maintained that the best boot is the one that fits your foot. Everyones foot is shaped different and flexes differently than the next guy so it is just a matter of trial and error. To each his own. For prunning I used to wear a high top tennis shoe.

I've got a fat foot and the Asolo's seem to mold to my feet, there a little stiff and uncomfortable at first, but once the stretch out they fit my foot like a sock.

Without spurs, Danner Arcadias. With spurs, Wesco highliners.Both can be resoled, I had a pair of arcadias I wore for 7 years and 4 sets of soles.

most of the climbers that top the standing stem wood i lay out where the same boots i where for engineering. Viberg 105 caulk boots. best boots ever made but they'll set you back a good $500 CDN. www.workboot.com (not an ad, just a link to the boot manufacturer)

I take a different approach from most of the posts I see here. I wear New Balance running or crosstraing shoes when not on hooks. Unless its a rain day and then I`ll use a a light water proof boot. I weigh 220 and if I`m prunning I want to be as light as possible when I`m in the tops. Running shoes seem to grip well for me and also don`t wear me out like a pair of heavy boots if I`m moving around a lot. I find they also do less harm to the more tender bark that you find in the tops of somthing like a soft maple( silver maple comes to mind here).

If I`m on hooks I have a pair of Red Wings, non shank. I bought the wrong boot for the job and I suffer cause of it. I think I`ll try Wesco`s next when the Red Wings are worn out.

Glenn

gavin said:
most of the climbers that top the standing stem wood i lay out where the same boots i where for engineering. Viberg 105 caulk boots. best boots ever made but they'll set you back a good $500 CDN. www.workboot.com (not an ad, just a link to the boot manufacturer)
Gavin, I climb with caulks, my Viberg caulks were finally thrashed, I bought them in 94, good enough. I am wearing an old but good pair of Paris boots (Vancouver company, now owned by Dayton) I have two pairs of Viberg linesmen boots, best boots I have ever worn, no doubt. Most guys here spurless climb, they dont want to lay out big money for boots that are made for spurs. You get what you pay for.

I'll second Wolf66's choice in the Red Dawgs from Bailey's! I got a new pair of climbers 6 months ago and love them. Great boot and you cant beat the price. :cheers:

I like a high top hiker with a solid upper. Footlocking cat wear stitching out very fast.

This is the REI spirit, it comes w and w/o gortex

aHR0cDovL2ExMDcyLmcuYWthbWFpLm5ldC9mLzEwNzIvMjA2Mi8xZC9nYWxsZXJ5LnJlaS5jb20vbWVkaWEvNjgzNDc3Xzk4OVByZC5KUEc=

I've used danner, but the outside stitching between upper and welt wear out too fast for me.

Hmmm, why is the IMG not showing up?

fave climbing boot

Heres my two'pennorth . On spikes Haix tibet forest maybe french manufacture ? body thrust and branch walk Elten terrain german I beleive. They stick well ive had nearly 3 years out of em . Alternating boots to suit the task. Spikes or ground work , Haix there still water proof , branch walking and regular climbing Eltens

I recently got my first pair of Wescos (highliners), and was a little disappointed at their weight. Great for spurs, but for true climbing they are too heavy and stiff. I have a fifteen year old pair of rockport dune shoes that are pure pleasure to climb in, make my feet feel like hands, but they hurt to footlock in. Standard issue combat boots are good for footlocking and are fairly sensitive if you size them right. If I had to own one pair of work shoes it would be these.

3 combat boots and 1 chipwah in 12 years.I was the beneficia of a New pair combat boots today.

Back