whats your favorite way to get wood out of the woods??? post pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber96

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so whats your favorite way to pull logs from the woods? ill post pics of my 3 wheel horses soon, just interested to see what you guys have:chainsaw:

I did a little "logging" today for some cedar. Did not remember to take pics. But, my favorite way to get the wood out is the easiest way!

This time, it was on a hillside above the road and hooked up my tow strap and hooked a chain onto that and choked the logs and pulled out onto the road to buck 'em. Then I will either split them or load them into the truck as the wife backs up with me as I load so I do not have to go back and forth.

Snatchblocks are your friend as well!

I'd love to put a skidding winch on the back of the tractor, but for now I skid logs out using chains or rope and snatch block. If I can get the tractor near the wood (sometimes it's too hilly), then I buck the logs where they are and throw them in the 6' FEL or load a pickup truck or tow a trailer.

Here's the JD4600:

jd4600-winter09.jpg

I've been too busy to try it, but I did get a skidding cone a couple months ago:

ns-702302.jpg

My preference would be with Treepointer's JD 4600...sweet machine! Lately it has been with my Jeep Cherokee. This thing will go just about anywhere, has a tight turning radius for the woods, and surprisingly holds close to a face cord with the seats down and the logs cut to 5' or so....

Here's mine. My favorite method is identical to wdchuck's, but this is normally what is used.

Pros:
- Gets awesome gas mileage.
- Goes where the big rigs can't.
- Easy Maintenance
- When someone asks for a 'load on credit' you can give them one.
- Gives you a free workout

Cons:
- High COG, prone to roll-over.
- Not too good in rocky terrain
- Amphib capability limited
- Load capacity limited on uphill runs
- Gives you a free workout

attachment.php

Got 45 loads of red oak ( about 2 cords ) out with this awesome machine yesterday. They were about 100+/- yds in, uphill.

Last edited:
Looks like it also depends on what part of the country your in. Cut most of my wood with permits from the national forests, a lot of it is fairly steep/hilly and remote country. We usually try to pull the logs back to the road using a winch or cables with a snatchblock. Also try to fill up the F250 with racks and an 8x14 trailer. Figure since it can be a 30-40 mile trip one way back into the woods on old dirt roads we might as well get full loads.

Mine is going to be the same as my moose/bear hunting rig and all around cabin supply rig. Should be here next month!

Polaris_BigBoss6x6_rearload.jpg

And this in the winter!

n1319587428_30313581_2538068.jpg

Back