What's YOUR Holy Grail Vintage Chainsaw List?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get busy as I found three 797's in the attic this week and I know I can make two runners from the three of them. At least one will remain more or less original with some patina, another should get a full restoration.

Forgot to ask the obvious question -- how does one "find" three 797's in the attic?

Someday i'd like to get me a nice 69 or 70 GTO with original Ram Air IV 4 sp.

Something like this one?

MCR1.JPG

MCR2.JPG

MCR3.JPG

My old car. Original 70 RAIV, M21, 4.33, manual drums, manual steering, steel wheels with dog dishes. Optioned for the 1/4 mile. Bought it in 2007 while I was still in Iraq, finishing up a 15 month tour. Started the resto myself and then decided that I wanted it done to concours gold standards so I sent it to my buddy Darrell Davidson in Ohio, he has a resto shop that specializes in Pontiacs and he's a GTO Association of America (GTOAA) judge. Car's debut was at the 2013 GTOAA Nationals. It won "Best Concours Restored" out of the 93 other GTO's that were competing for the prize. Sold it afterwards; it was too damn nice to drive.

Last I heard the car was at a dealership in the Midwest. Asking price is around $100k.

Scott

Ya I've seen many Contras for sale over the years. Especially in Germany. They somehow just haven't
been a top priority. Someday if I find a nice one at the right price. It's a Super Rex I need. I already
have a Rex 125cc.
so,whats a super rex worth in the usa? i do know a bloke who has two.....

I’ve seen regular Solo Rex sell for $250-$300 on Craiglist and up to $400 on eBay. A Super Rex should sell for more. I’d also be interested in one if for sale?

Regular Solo Rex is easy to come by in Germany - 200 - 400 euro (about $250 - $500 USD) https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-solo-rex/k0
Don't see many saws advertised as Super Rex's, but if I'm not mistaken, it's not very easy to distinguish a Super from a regular Rex unless you know what you're looking for.

Regular Solo Rex is easy to come by in Germany - 200 - 400 euro (about $250 - $500 USD) https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-solo-rex/k0
Don't see many saws advertised as Super Rex's, but if I'm not mistaken, it's not very easy to distinguish a Super from a regular Rex unless you know what you're looking for.
Correct. Can’t identify from the outside from what I understand. You must measure the bore size to confirm.

The handle on the Comet is a propane tank to fire a heater for the "glow plug". When it is cold out you need to warm up the handle so the propane will expand and pressurize in order to fire the heater. Really neat old saws.

Mark

Yep. On a related note, they are commonly referred to as diesels but they are actually hot bulb engines. They do not operate like a true diesel engine which uses the heat of compression to fire the mixture. The compression ratio is only 10:1 (that's actually fairly high for a hot bulb engine; they usually have 3:1 - 5:1) and they run on any liquid combustible fuel.

Scott

Apparently the Super Rex's are quite difficult to find. Saw something today on a German site -- folks claim to see 100 Rex's for every 1 Super Rex. So if you run across one somewhere, don't snooze and lose!

These would be mine at the moment.

Attachments

• D484B37C-A6E4-49F8-81D1-7CE83CB0A026.jpeg
    D484B37C-A6E4-49F8-81D1-7CE83CB0A026.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • C4635E43-A3C1-484A-BB01-54F00109A4D7.jpeg
    C4635E43-A3C1-484A-BB01-54F00109A4D7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • F8E338A5-8163-4D56-A1BB-EF14484BCB3F.jpeg
    F8E338A5-8163-4D56-A1BB-EF14484BCB3F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • E9E2C1A1-E4D5-4543-BF9E-98EBD0BD3867.jpeg
    E9E2C1A1-E4D5-4543-BF9E-98EBD0BD3867.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Add this 101B kart engine saw to my list.I'm just about done now.

Seen it on feebay last Thursday night,had been outside & came back in for the evening,checked the listings & there it was.Barely on there 30 minutes,I knew it would go quickly,especially for that Buy It Now price listed.First one I seen for sale anywhere in 8 months,and the cheapest one I've seen for sale in 10+ years that's also a very strong runner & cosmetically very good.Included very good Oregon 27" sprocket nose .404 bar & 2 good skip chains.

Good Seller,have been buying stuff from him for almost 10 yrs now,my stock 125C,Homie 3100G & couple others plus quite a few vintage parts are from him.

I swapped out the blank 125C air filter cover for one with reproduction sticker that originally was on my stock 125C.Already had that dark blue kart recoil starter,so I swapped the original black one also.Have a decent used chrome 101B starter housing,once I take a quick trip to neighborhood hardware store in a few days I'll get 3 needed slightly larger diameter bolts to attach the blue starter to the chrome housing.Finally have a reproduction 101B chrome,blue & red vinyl sticker for the rear cowling that should arrive today or tommorowDSC01090.JPG DSC01087.JPG DSC01088.JPG .

Then its complete.

Add this 101B kart engine saw to my list.I'm just about done now.

Seen it on feebay last Thursday night,had been outside & came back in for the evening,checked the listings & there it was.Barely on there 30 minutes,I knew it would go quickly,especially for that Buy It Now price listed.First one I seen for sale anywhere in 8 months,and the cheapest one I've seen for sale in 10+ years that's also a very strong runner & cosmetically very good.Included very good Oregon 27" sprocket nose .404 bar & 2 good skip chains.

Good Seller,have been buying stuff from him for almost 10 yrs now,my stock 125C,Homie 3100G & couple others plus quite a few vintage parts are from him.

I swapped out the blank 125C air filter cover for one with reproduction sticker that originally was on my stock 125C.Already had that dark blue kart recoil starter,so I swapped the original black one also.Have a decent used chrome 101B starter housing,once I take a quick trip to neighborhood hardware store in a few days I'll get 3 needed slightly larger diameter bolts to attach the blue starter to the chrome housing.Finally have a reproduction 101B chrome,blue & red vinyl sticker for the rear cowling that should arrive today or tommorow
Then its complete.

Just. *******. awesome. That really is cool and glad you got a good deal on it. A kart engine saw is definitely on my wish list.

I've actually sold a few Grail saws recently -- the Comet M and a Jonsereds XB are headed to Montana. I still have another Comet diesel and another Jonsereds XB, so the seller's remorse isn't as bad as it could have been.

And I have picked up a few more, too. I have another Jonsereds XF on the way (I think this makes 10) and picked up a very nice Jonsereds 111S from a member here. It arrived today. That's my 5th 110/111; they've been hard as he11 to find, so I don't expect to be in double digits anytime soon.

Scott

Back