What's YOUR Holy Grail Vintage Chainsaw List?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance you ever part with that Solo Twin?:baba:

Neighbor came over; he's been bugging me for a 6 cube Stihl so I pulled some off the shelf for him to look at. I also had a few others pulled out so figured it would make a good photo op. There's an 084, 066, 076, Contra S, Contra, 070, Solo Twin, Mac SP125, and Dolmar 166. Think a rotary saw snuck in the picture, too.

Lee -

I'll be back in the states (Norfolk, VA) for a 10 week course starting on Wednesday. After that, I'm back in Italy 3 months before I move to San Antonio for my next assignment. We can easily find you a nice Contra. Solo Rex's are easy to find, too, and reasonably priced as well. I don't run across many Super Rex's, but I haven't been looking. I suspect we can find one of those, too.

Good luck on the Contra GS. Not easy to find.

Scott

Ya I've seen many Contras for sale over the years. Especially in Germany. They somehow just haven't
been a top priority. Someday if I find a nice one at the right price. It's a Super Rex I need. I already
have a Rex 125cc.

I have a nice Jonsered 49sp, I would like to add a 52e 70e and 80. Those may not qualify as "vintage". But they are the saws I remember from my childhood. Great memories

I have an 80 that I picked up in Germany several months ago. It needs a carb rebuild and a few other things. I look forward to getting it in good running order; it has 238 psi (no that's not a typo!) on the compression tester, so I suspect it has some guts.

Don't have a 52e, but I missed out on a nice 70e with the "Nordfeller" (sp?) -- has a small pump mounted on the saw that attaches to an inflatable felling wedge.

I have an 80 that I picked up in Germany several months ago. It needs a carb rebuild and a few other things. I look forward to getting it in good running order; it has 238 psi (no that's not a typo!) on the compression tester, so I suspect it has some guts.

Don't have a 52e, but I missed out on a nice 70e with the "Nordfeller" (sp?) -- has a small pump mounted on the saw that attaches to an inflatable felling wedge.

Wow, that's cool! Would love to see a video of that 80 when you get it going :rock2:

Did that one come from Mark H.
There were a few floating around a few years back. Saw-king had I think 3 of them.
Yes this come from Mark H. Took a lot of yellow to get it. There were a handful floating around but not sure how many exist. I was told there was as many as 12 that we're found of the ghost motor in storage but only a few of the 12 haven't been run now.

Today was Christmas in February! I've been in the states (Norfolk, VA) for training; will be here for 10 weeks. Took the long President's Day weekend to visit my parents in Houston. Some of the saws that I have bought recently I just sent to them instead of having the saws shipped to Italy just to be crated up and shipped back to the states when we move to San Antonio in July.

Anyway, I had a pretty good idea of what was going to be waiting on me here, but I was off by one box -- I was expecting 5 boxes but there were 6....

Here's what it looked like when I started.

photo.JPG

And when it was all said and done.

photo-2.JPG

From left to right, you'll see a gorgeous 056 Magnum - pictures don't do it justice. Fantastic original condition. Have a very nice Stihl 36" bar to go with it. Came from Montana.

And then a pair of Echo twins. One from a member. Not pristine, but both in reasonably good condition.

Speaking of twins, that's a Solo Twin there, too. My other one is much nicer, but this one is complete and is said to be a runner but just recently lost spark. Have a few bars with it as well.

And the yellow saw is a gorgeous Mac 797 that's completely restored. Pictures don't do this one justice, either. Has a 36" or was it 40" roller nose bar. It's also from a member.

Last but not least, 090G is a 137cc beast, also purchased from a member. Not perfect, but complete and in very good condition.

Almost forgot -- the small Wiseco box contains a present for my Dolmar 166...

Tagging a few members - @NewToStihl @leeha @fwgsaw

Thanks

Scott

I'm guessing the 797 came from Lee and the 056M from Floyd.

I need to get busy as I found three 797's in the attic this week and I know I can make two runners from the three of them. At least one will remain more or less original with some patina, another should get a full restoration.

What are your plans for displaying all of these treasures one day? I have my wife about 90% persuaded I need to buy a building or a house to put my saws and stuff on display and provide me with a little more space to work. Ah for another 10%...

Mark

I'm guessing the 797 came from Lee and the 056M from Floyd.

I need to get busy as I found three 797's in the attic this week and I know I can make two runners from the three of them. At least one will remain more or less original with some patina, another should get a full restoration.

What are your plans for displaying all of these treasures one day? I have my wife about 90% persuaded I need to buy a building or a house to put my saws and stuff on display and provide me with a little more space to work. Ah for another 10%...

Mark

Those are pretty good guesses!

Good question on display; doubt I could get the Long Haired General to agree to buy another house to store my saws. Probably won't be an issue, however, because I plan to liquidate quite a bit when we get back to the states in July. Will need the funds for my musclecar addiction, and I wouldn't mind having a monster garage, storage building/shop, etc for my hoopties...

Scott

Now, Do tell about said muscle car addition. I'm all ears.

Right now, it's a mixed bag -

66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, toploader 4 sp, 3.25 9". The 428 has a mild solid roller, Edelbrock aluminum heads, ported Streetmaster, FPA headers, etc. Close to 500 hp. Low 12's in the quarter with traction. Black, black top, red interior. BFG Radial TA redlines on Magnum 500's. Fresh paint, fresh drivetrain, new interior, runs and drives, needs some finishing.

DSCN0266.JPG

68 GTO convt, 455, TH400, 3.90 rear. Flat tappet cam, ported iron heads, Performer RPM topped with modded 800+ cfm Q-jet modded by Cliff Ruggles. Close to 500 hp. 11" converter. High 11's in the quarter are theoretically possible with traction. Nordic blue, white top, white (Parchment) interior. Fresh paint, fresh drivetrain, new interior. Have been working on this one recently.

IMG_1212.JPG

71 Javelin, 401, T-10 4 sp, 3.50 9". Road race project. Full cage. Long way to go.

IMG_0069.jpg

72 Alfa Romeo GTV, DOHC all aluminum 2 liter, 5 sp, 4.30 rear. Not muscle but vintage nonetheless. Full rotisserie restoration in progress; in bare metal waiting to go to paint now. Should look like this when it's done.

gtv-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back