What's your knife mines a gerber 97223

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have many knives that my great uncle left me years ago and I was looking through them the other day and found this gerber 97223 made in Portland usa and decided to sharpen it ant carry it. I've tried carrying other knives and they were to bulky this knife fits just right in my work pants. I know many people carry knives and wondered if I really found a good one

My EDC for many years was a Kershaw 2001 Good Buddy that fit nicely in a pair of dress pants pocket, even better in business casual khaki's:
Kershaw2001Goodbuddyright_zpsd1096c36.jpg
It has a small-ish blade, and a straight screw driver, file, and ever essential bottle opener.
Unfortunately, they no longer make this knife, and I broke the back spring on mine a couple years ago:

P1050393.JPG

I resorted to eBay to find and purchase a couple of them in very good condition. I lost a second one, and am now carrying the last of my supply.

But, now that I am retired, and mostly wearing jeans or canvas type pants, and working outdoors every day, I've stepped up to one of two bigger knives with pocket clip. First is a Leatherman with serrated blade, straight and phillips screw driver small clip, and of course the essential bottle opener:

LT830303.jpg

Since Kershaw has an excellent warranty program, but also since they could not replace the broken back knife, they gave me an option to select another knife, and I chose a nice very thin pocket clip knife with lock-back serrated blade, and of course, a bottle opener.

Shuffle.jpg

Anyone notice a common thread in my choices?

I usually have a Swiss Army in my pocket , usually a Tinker or a Spartan .
Good quality and cheap enough that I don't cry when I loose one .
The Sanrenmu 710 is another good cheap edc .

One of my favorites is a Browning folding knife. My wife and I picked out a small folding Browning for my Dad as a Christmas present. He also carried a small folding knife in his pocket, and needed a new one. He carried it for several years till he broke the tip off. I told him it had a life time warranty, just send it back. He felt that since he was prying with it, it wasn't Brownings fault. So, I sent it back for him. A few weeks later I got a package from Browning with a hand written note saying they no longer made that model, please accept this one from our custom shop. It was a little bigger and a lot fatter. Has antler scales and leather belt loop case. Well, it was too heavy for a pocket knife, so Dad gave it to me. It was far and a way the sharpest store bought knife I have ever owned. I actually lost it while camping with the Boy Scouts. A couple years later I saw one of our old scouts and he had a knife just like mine.When I told him I lost mine at summer camp, he gave it to me. Then he said that every week for one year after he found it, he stood up and announced that he found it and was anyone missing it. I had changed jobs and missed our weekly meetings for a year. We actually figured out when and where I lost it. Someone wanted to see a custom belt buckle I made, and when I took it off, the knife fell off the belt. I offered him any knife I had and he looked at them all, and said thanks, but I can't take something for doing what I should do. I finally gave him, with his fathers permission, a .41 caliber cap and ball derringer. If this thread keeps going, I'll try and get a pic up, Joe.

My favorites are my bench made 940 and my mini griptilian. Most expensive pocket knives I've ever had, but they are worth it. I have a few that my wife has given me on special occasions that I don't want to use cause I am afraid to lose them or break them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spyderco, it's one of the police models with a smooth front edge followed by a serrated (spelling?) section. It stays in my locker at work and goes on my work pants at the beginning of every shift. It's old, had it since the Corps. She's a little beat up but still works.

Benchmade 943 and 950 here.

I've had Gerbers, CRKTs, never owned a Spyderco, but used many of them. Benchmade is a cut above. Spyderco makes a good knife, but the axis lock of the benchmade is a great locking mechanism. When I open the knife, I pull back the lock, and the blade just glides on its bearings. No friction at all pretty much. Makes one handed opening and closing a fluid and very satisfying motion.

I usually have my paraframe gerber foldibg knife. It fell out my pocket when i was putting my tarps on wood pile. So untill i burn enough to find it im using one of my dads. Its a winchester pocket knife and im starting to like it. Little smaller and lighter.

I have always carried some sort/brand of multiblade knife. I recieved a 3 blade Case for Christmas one year and have carried it ever since, before that I carried a 3 blade BuckCreek. I also carry a Mini Sod Buster, so I guess I carry 2 knifes at all time. Traveling all the time, I keep another mini sod buster in my suitcase and I have 2 or 3 more multiblade folders with it. Most are not brand name, just knifes given to me over the years. When I go camping, I take my Case folding hunter. It has 3 interchangeable blade. I dont have a pic, but heres a link. http://www.deadwoodknives.com/p-720...anger-stainless-hunting-pocket-knife-137.aspx

I have a small promo Swiss Army knife on my truck ring. For deer hunting I have a larger folding knife of one of the major makes but I forget which one.

I have an amazingly sharp Schrade but it's a fixed blade and the leather case is too loose to carry without risk of loss.

I have one of old cutco wood handle hunting knives that I use for deer hunting. It's an awesome knife but the tip is broken off. They are not cheap to replace either. I've seen them for 150 on ebay

Gerber paraframe. Round filed the teeth so I can keep them sharp. On my second one now.

Spyderco Endura 4.

I love it. Great steel, takes a while to put an edge on but man does it get sharp and stay that wayIMG_20161112_095230856.jpg. I'm on my second one now, lost the first one about a year ago. Before the Spyderco it was a Kershaw Leek:)

Spyderco Endura 4.

I love it. Great steel, takes a while to put an edge on but man does it get sharp and stay that wayView attachment 536692. I'm on my second one now, lost the first one about a year ago. Before the Spyderco it was a Kershaw Leek:)

How do you like your spyderco? I've read a lot of good stuff about them. Wanting a knife that's in between blade sizes of my mini grip and my 940 and I like how thin spyderco knives appear.

Very rare I'd need a knife and I can't just grab one from the kitchen drawer, garage, trucks, shop, etc so I don't carry one.

How do you like your spyderco? I've read a lot of good stuff about them. Wanting a knife that's in between blade sizes of my mini grip and my 940 and I like how thin spyderco knives appear.

I like it alot. I can abuse a knife and it takes everything I throw at it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Benchmade has 154cm on blade. My everyday carry knife for many years. I have never seen another one like it.
87c887831480615d36641ad84feadb1d.jpg

Back