What's your opinion or your Tanaka saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
There certainly must be members here that have taken advantage of some of Bailey's sales on the Tanaka saws. What do you think of them? From the pics they appear to be "cheapo" but I've never had one in my hands. Just wondering what the opinions are of those that have actually used one. If you've never run one, then your input isn't too important to me. Seeking operational data. How does it cut, run, oil, etc. Bar decent or sorry? Sturdy or needs kid gloves to handle? etc.
Thanks.

I have one (ECS-415?) that I got with a Poulan 3400 I bought. The trigger is broken and a wire rigged to run it thus I have never used it. I will be willing to send it to you for a long term test...

I do use the Tanaka branded bar cover and can say it works well.

Never used one. Their trimmers are great, at least the one I have is, best I ever owned.. The couple saws I have seen broken and taken apart..meh, rather have a decent modern poulan, built better.

Tanaka...if you don't know...is a REALLY big name brand in Japan..!!

They make all kinds of things both gas powered and electric. Quality is very good...I've read.

Very few dealers here in the U.S. - thus parts could be a problem - now back to your regular scheduled program.

( Contact 'Grande Dog' at Left Coast Supplies...you know he will give you the straight and full "skinny" on Tanaka saws.)

J2F

The "original" Tanaka saws, designed before the merger with Hitachi, are of a traditional classic design and much better in my eyes. The new modern variants are optimised to meet a price point as far as I have seen them. And I would definately choose an efco over any of these any day of the week. I have looked a few times at the
Tanaka TCS 33EB but wasn't convinced at all! The model that I saw had a hollow screw as a chain adjuster and had, of course not unexpected, broken already in the store. Who knows by whom, but who cares something like that shouldn't happen.The air filter was very simple and the rest has me standing back. But I have to say that I was at my Stihl dealer and he had the same model in for a repair(someone lost the airfilter) from a construction company. He was unhappy with it but it had survived some time with those guys and was obviously not treated well. But besides the missing air filter it was still running.

I just orderd my first Hitachi/Tanaka saw a few days ago. But I am getting the Hitachi CS 40 EK , magnesium body/ 2.4hp/ 38,2 ccm/ max. rpm 14.500/ max. chainspeed 27.9 metres per second = 91.5 foot per second / 4 kg = 8.8 pounds , for around 300$. Have to be a little careful because my regular chaps are only tested to 21m/sec = 69 foot per second! It's on sale, original price was double!
What I found funny was on their homepage was written Gemisch 1:50 (nicht von Tankstellen verwenden!!! - Normalbenzin + Hitachi Zusatz verwenden!) Which means use 2 stroke mix, not premix from the gas station!!! :laugh: Haven't seen that in at least a decade anywhere.

I have had a classic Hitachi/Tanaka 40cc heavy duty brush cutter since last fall and the quality of that thing has convinced me! It simply vaporisises everything in its path. I also just placed an order for a second small Hitachi/Tanaka straight shaft trimmer.

Had a ecv 4501 from late nineties or so, light, well made and ran really well, then someone borrowed it...

Back