What's Your Reasoning/Excuse....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife doesn't care as long as no household money is used for saws. My family says nothing because most of them float in the same CAD boat as me.

It really is a pretty affordable hobby. And it's kind of a nice savings account. Good saws are so easy to sell. Coming from a guy who has a bad snowmobile habit which is about the worst possible with no practicality and about the worst depreciation of anything with an engine.

Since Saturday I have purchased the following items: .040 over 400M block, crankshaft cut .020/.020, redone heads with oversize valves, RV camshaft, new lifters, new pushrods, gasket set, rod and main bearings, new pistons and rings, cam gear set, Edelbrock intake, Summit carb, etc

That's about 25 used saws worth. Saws are cheap, trucks are expensive...

I also collect broken down trucks. Sometimes scrap metal too. Cause of stuff like that, the saws dont even show up on her radar.

It really is a pretty affordable hobby. And it's kind of a nice savings account. Good saws are so easy to sell. Coming from a guy who has a bad snowmobile habit which is about the worst possible with no practicality and about the worst depreciation of anything with an engine.
I think a speed boat may trump a snow machine lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This beautiful thing we have thats called choice. I'm an early morning lover and sometimes I like my "Swedeish girls" big small or medium. not to mention worked over by a variety of "Doctors" first.
*I was going to say 'worked over by a variety of men first. ..but thats just plain wrong.

I cut some limbs and shrubs at my 77yr. old mothers house on valantines day. My mother and my wife are happy i have saws. The bad part of CAD is that i came home with my mothers electric remington chainsaw.
The chain was dull and oiler needed work.

Boats? i have 1, wait 2, no the one at the gun club pond makes 3....

I make no excuses i just rev the motor and drown out the questions.
Tractors are loud and nobody will get near them to complain about my toys.

I live in a dual income, no kids household. :happybanana: If I want saws, I buy saws. If my wife wants craft supplies or trips to islands with her sister, she can do that. If we both want to go to nice reataurants two or four or six days a week, or to fly to NYC for a weekend, not a problem. Sometimes it seems sad we can't have kids, but the rest of the time...

for having as many saws as you do? I realize CAD works on here but from what i have found it doesnt so much work with the friends, family or significant other. So how do you rationalize it to them? I keep looking at my shelf of saws an asking myself do i really need that many? probably not but i like having doubles (no idea why) and i like having a saw from each class of saw. But its tough to rationalize all the saws with having one crab apple tree in the yard. My reasoning to my fiancee is we may need them at the next house and i have enough to run a crew if needed and i pointed out all my saw came in handy when i needed to help her brother clear 14 trees. So far its working but i dont know for how long.

Darn it you made me go out and count. ;) Over 25 runners (not including 4 pole saws) and around 10-15 parts saws and projects. o_O I can only cut with one at any one time and i have my favourites so many never actually do any cutting to justify their existence. The 2 quotes below sum up my reasons pretty well also. If i wasn't spending a little and tinkering with saws and small motors i would be spending a lot and buying expensive old American and British cars and tinkering with them and wondering where all the money went.

Small story: A friend of mine down the road has a 1953 Jaguar XK150. He paid $30K for it 17 years ago. It still has lots of rust and he has put over $15K plus too many hours to count and it still is not anywhere near ready to get passed to be registered to be road legal. He told me i will be driving it to my wedding. I replied that i wanted to get married before i am in a nursing home, because it will never be finished! He has just bought a 1984 Toyota landcruiser troop carrier that has really low km's but needs a bit of rust work to get it into good order. He never finishes anything until he has started at least 3 other projects. :rolleyes:

I am very glad to be only hooked on saws is all i can say! :D

I'd really rather be wrenching on 60s - 70s Camaros.

.... but I don't have the coin or the space for it.

Liquid asset, easily sold for cash. Most will appreciate with time as well.

When I left the business once before, I only had a Poulan Wildthing after running Dolmar, Homelite and Huskies. I live on a heavily wooded lot. Lots of small to large trees on just over an acre. Always had problems getting the damn thing started when I had a job to do. Vowed it wouldn't happen again. Five may be a bit too many, but I've got them.

certain saws i just like-- like 440s and 372s and 590 echos, others i just end up with um cause they looked like a deal at the time. i flirted around with the homeowner saws and the farm and ranch specials.

but nothing runs for me like a real pro saw-- maybe i'll break down and buy that 40cc echo one day---

when we got out of logging/pulpwood in a big way there was saws everywhere-- dad loved a good saw as did my uncles, in the

south every man has to have a PU-truck a shotgun and a chainsaw-- otherwise he ain't "here" ya know--

Back