When dropping a tree, what are you guys watching??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYWoodsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've personally always watch my back cut line to see if it's opening. But I see others stopping and taking a step back to look up at the tree top?

And just to clarify once the tree starts to go I move back and look up to watch for and thing that could be coming my way

It's often advised that you should "look up." And for certain types of trees--big Eucs that could be shedding huge chunks of bark, ancient large redwoods from which dead limbs could be loosened--that's surely good advice. And EAB-dead ash also can be dropping stuff from above. But for the trees I cut, my eyes are watching the back cut--it tells me what I want to know.

During/while pounding wedges--yes, look to see if the pounding has busted loose a limb or such. But when I get anywhere close to the end of the felling cut, that kerf is the thing that matters. As soon as it begins to open I know the tree is going where it's meant to. When it begins to open without the saw moving forward, my work is done and I'm moving away from the stump.

For me, looking up and then back at the saw action is dividing your attention. Not to say that I haven't or don't look up on occasion. But my focus is on the back cut.

Another thing I've noticed about looking up--you can get fooled by wind or cloud movement.

We all have different methods, but after listening to the experts and others you should do what works for you.

Oh, and like the OP, when the tree is on its downward path I do watch the top, mainly to make sure that it's not brushing through a neighboring tree and sending a busted limb in my direction. Had one do that many years ago--could hear that thing winging in my direction.

But when my tree is falling thru empty space all its parts are moving away from me, and my attention is on my footing.

A good preliminary assessment is highly important. Preferably from several angles, like 90⁰ from the first look. You get a feel for where that gunning line is pointing when cutting & looking up at the same time. Getting away as soon as possible is good. Things can get banged around & go flying. Like a tree hitting the deck & disrupting already fallen stems that could move, enough to break a leg or worse. I'll never forget the scare I had mere weeks into my career. A Smallish poplar's backcut began to open as I was finishing, then it stopped at maybe 1.5". My first thought was not that 100 or so lbs of dead locust was about to break off & attempt to kill me, but that's what happened. I looked up at things, just not well enough. I got lucky and was just barely out of harms way.

Had time to think about this for a while today.

Before ever touching saw to tree, first job is to examine the tree looking for defects, dead limbs hanging by a thread, and much more. The vast majority of trees I cut are sound in the upper portion, so little to be concerned with up there.

But in the PNW where Northman operates, the upper portion of the tree is frequently obscured. All sorts of nastiness could be hiding. That's the country where "look up" will protect you. Anytime there's reason for concern about the integrity of wood above, it's wise to look up. But that's a rare condition in the trees I cut. Thus I get more valuable info from what the back cut is doing.

Had time to think about this for a while today.

Before ever touching saw to tree, first job is to examine the tree looking for defects, dead limbs hanging by a thread, and much more. The vast majority of trees I cut are sound in the upper portion, so little to be concerned with up there.

But in the PNW where Northman operates, the upper portion of the tree is frequently obscured. All sorts of nastiness could be hiding. That's the country where "look up" will protect you. Anytime there's reason for concern about the integrity of wood above, it's wise to look up. But that's a rare condition in the trees I cut. Thus I get more valuable info from what the back cut is doing.
You need to look at both alternating . You could get whacked with a limb or any part of the tree or other trees.

You should be watching the top at all times, meanwhile keeping tabs on your aim and the kerf.

From there, you should be watching the top. If using wedges, pound a few times, then look up. Pound, look, pound, look.

LOOK UP
Took down a dead 80 yr. old Shagbark Hickory. Once the felling knotch was cleared, I opened up on the back side, and from there I used wedges.

That 5 lb. beater steered a 60' trunk right to its marked spot. I had 2 spotters, and a clear back path. The ground-anchored go-pro camera bounced.

Wedges....and eyes. The best part of a silent fall, is the moaning the wood makes when it leaves the stump.

I've personally always watch my back cut line to see if it's opening. But I see others stopping and taking a step back to look up at the tree top?
Pretty good IDEA to STEP BACK/ LOOK for WIDOWMAKERS, (ready to run) vs being hit in back of the head? Sometimes, all it takes is a very small movement.

Latest posts

Back