When dropping a tree, what are you guys watching??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recognize that loggers cut the biggest trees and no arborist can have experience in big trees.
My apologies for posting on your board.

Ill leave you to feeling superior to gardeners, maintenance men, homeowners and firewood cutters.
I have already quit coming to this board. Please forgive me for entering your empire!
its not a matter of superior or not, its a matter of 300' trees are rare as hens teeth.
You wanna tell fish stories thats great, good for you, maybe snap a few pics of record setting trees before spinning yarns.

I recognize that loggers cut the biggest trees and no arborist can have experience in big trees.
My apologies for posting on your board.

Ill leave you to feeling superior to gardeners, maintenance men, homeowners and firewood cutters.
I have already quit coming to this board. Please forgive me for entering your empire!

For every tree the arborist cuts, the logger cuts 70 or more.
You get a good idea of what's out there, & what isn't I guess.

Globulus max listed height is 180’

I am just a hobby sawyer but I started out with yard trees and have lately done more forest. They both have their challenges. I much prefer the forest. Need to move.

I am just a hobby sawyer but I started out with yard trees and have lately done more forest. They both have their challenges. I much prefer the forest. Need to move.
theres a massive bastard in new Zealand? 324' but from what I saw, anything over 200' in California is an oddity, even for redwoods getting over 300 is rare.

theres a massive bastard in new Zealand? 324' but from what I saw, anything over 200' in California is an oddity, even for redwoods getting over 300 is rare.
It certainly was an oddity. It was in Almaden Vally, south of San Jose, CA. I am retired so I'm not flying to California to "take a picture" of a tree that was cut down over 40 years ago.
I have seen and climbed 300 foot trees. I'm old now and can't climb. Maybe I'm senile or just maybe, my experience with trees all over the world has shown me some oddities. I make no apologies.
I recognize I'm not an everyday poster on this "good old boys" forum. I wonder why?

For every tree the arborist cuts, the logger cuts 70 or more.
You get a good idea of what's out there, & what isn't I guess.
For every tree a logger cuts, there are 100,000 more just like it in the forest they're working..
Ever seen a Brachychiton Caudata? Brachchiton Diversiloba? These are very rare trees you won't find in any forest in the US.

Trees can't read. There are zillions of eucalyptus over 200 feet in California. Very rare to see one 300"

For every tree a logger cuts, there are 100,000 more just like it in the forest they're working..
Ever seen a Brachychiton Caudata? Brachchiton Diversiloba? These are very rare trees you won't find in any forest in the US.

Pretty sure we were talking about Eucalyptus...

Look, if you wanna get into a pissing match, you picked the right kid.
Make your next move...

It certainly was an oddity. It was in Almaden Vally, south of San Jose, CA. I am retired so I'm not flying to California to "take a picture" of a tree that was cut down over 40 years ago.
I have seen and climbed 300 foot trees. I'm old now and can't climb. Maybe I'm senile or just maybe, my experience with trees all over the world has shown me some oddities. I make no apologies.
I recognize I'm not an everyday poster on this "good old boys" forum. I wonder why?
its not a good old boys club, frankly its mostly folks looking for advice on how, where and why to log, and most of us are ready and willing to offer advice. The rest is us winging about having a hard day, or telling yarns about todays biggest woopsiedoodles moment, all are welcome for that BTW

However, when some self proclaimed expert that has "traveled the world" doing tree work... (cause I totally believe that) and starts spouting off about tipping world record setting timber... Alarm bells are ringing...
you wanna tell fish stories great, good for you, try not to get the floor wet when your "facts" get questioned

Some of us are good ol' girls. I'm not a faller, not going to be one, but I can usually tell from watching if a person is experienced. There are no quick jerky movements of the saw by an experienced faller. It all looks smooth. There's a usually quick sizing of of the tree (if it is a normal looking tree) and then they get to work. Wedges are used, even in smaller trees. They can run the saw level and look up at the same time. That's about as good of a description as I can give.

The dangerous ones are usually trying to work too fast and you can tell. Jerky motions, no wedges, lots of drama. Stay away from those folks. Stay far away!

This is from a not quite a forester's perspective.

Just a trespassing firewood guy whose attention was drawn to the OP stopping to look for incoming. Much of what I have cut in the last two years is the drop the saw and run variety. Speaking only for myself and generally, using that time to get further away (or reaching a place to shelter) is likely safer. I used to always try to turn and look back but soon found myself enjoying the view too close to harm's way. I deemed it a bad habit that would sooner or later get me, so I broke it.

I said generally as one size doesn't fit all. I recently cut a tree that had nowhere to go except into the canopy which I expected to return the favor by sending shrapnel my way. Everything was clear to my back and sides with nothing reachable at my top speed to shelter behind so I purposely moved as quickly as I could but turned to look before the canopy impact on the theory that I could possibly dodge something that would otherwise hit me from behind. Fortunately, my theory went untested.

Changing gears - often, I hear movement before I see movement. I may regret it one day, but I take my muffs off when I cut a tree.

Ron

Just a trespassing firewood guy whose attention was drawn to the OP stopping to look for incoming. Much of what I have cut in the last two years is the drop the saw and run variety. Speaking only for myself and generally, using that time to get further away (or reaching a place to shelter) is likely safer. I used to always try to turn and look back but soon found myself enjoying the view too close to harm's way. I deemed it a bad habit that would sooner or later get me, so I broke it.

I said generally as one size doesn't fit all. I recently cut a tree that had nowhere to go except into the canopy which I expected to return the favor by sending shrapnel my way. Everything was clear to my back and sides with nothing reachable at my top speed to shelter behind so I purposely moved as quickly as I could but turned to look before the canopy impact on the theory that I could possibly dodge something that would otherwise hit me from behind. Fortunately, my theory went untested.

Changing gears - often, I hear movement before I see movement. I may regret it one day, but I take my muffs off when I cut a tree.

Ron
some say that short stints of high volume isn't so bad. if yer on the saw all day, do wear hearing protection.
This from a kid thats been playing guitar through cranked half stacks for nigh on 30 years... but I wear plugs with a saw, or around whining machinery...

I took to wearing muffs for pistol shooting as a young teenager and withstood a lot of ridicule from my older brothers. Sad to say I can hear much better than them now. Also sad to say I didn’t protect my hearing from equipment noise and I have fairly significant hearing loss in that range. I now usually wear muffs for any sustained cutting.

Ron

Guns definitely hurt the ears. Shooting a 7 rem mag & .223 regularly has done my ears more harm than chainsaws, for sure.
Most of that shooting was spur of the moment though, so hard to protect from it.

Depends... usually either Buckin' Billy Ray, Bjarne Butler, Tarzan Thomas, Game of Logging, or Wilson Forest Lands. Sometimes I lose focus and watch something like Powernation or Jim's Automotive. 😉 My all time favorite, Iohan Gueorguiev, is no longer updated... sadly the creator, a real adventurer, is no longer of this life.

I have only run into one old guy who was a production faller and could hear. He was approaching retirement age, and we were talking and I noticed I wasn't having to use a loud voice. He said he'd worn ear plugs for most of his career.

I find my ears are ringing after music practice. The brass is very noisy.

Back