When is a 660 or 395XP size saw needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How big a tree for bucking or felling do you cut before you reach for one of these larger saws? I'm in the northeast, and deal mostly with mixed hardwoods. I've got a 262XP and am debating a longer bar (24" or maybe 28"), versus a larger saw. Around here a 24" log is pretty big, so that's likely the max for bucking, but then I have the stumps to deal with.

When do you use a larger saw instead of a 440/460 class saw?

I'd say when it reaches the 34+ inch range is when the 395/660 is needed. those are the bars that arent ideal for the 460, so you'd need a bigger engine to pull em. more power is always a good thing in the woods.

I have both a 24" and a 36" bar for my 066. Use it a lot for droping trees that are over 24". Also, I use it to cut up rounds that are too heavy for me to get on the splitter. Plus it is just plain fun to cut with that big saw.

Hal

The 262XP was a great saw. I still have two running, one 18" one 20".
Don't beat on yours by cutting that hard Vermont sugar bush with a 24" bar.

You would probably appreciate an MS460 with a 25" bar (or 28" if you need it) rather than committing to lugging the MS660 size saw around.

But for big stump cuts on hard maple, the extra cc's are helpful.

There's a difference between the 262XP and a MS460, but not enough for me to justify having both, and the 262 still works great. If I get something bigger, it needs to be enough bigger to be a distinctly different saw. I thought about getting a 372XP while they are still around, but decided not to for the same reason.

Doug McDonald cut down a tree last week with a modified 385XP. 3.5 m in diameter 1 m up from base. For the Americans on the board, this is about 36 ft in circumference. It took Doug 1/2 hour and a full tank of gas. He is one of the 100+ fallers using my 385XP's.

Last edited:
Anything over 20" i miss using my 066 with 28" everyday.

after using it all the time then going to a 361 is makes ya miss it..

we don't reach for the 66 until the timber is consistantly over 30''. I run a 24'' and a 36'' bar on it. Mostly just use the 36''. I run a 24'' on my 460 and my 372. The 372 is a little under powered with it but it beats bending over to limb. It does pull it just fine in pine and poplar though.

Latest posts

Back