when is a BIG saw (100cc) worthwile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting up softwood firewood can take time if you have a 50cc saw. I've used a 290, 044, and 064 for doug fir and tamarack and man it's nice to use my 064 for felling trees and bucking them up faster compared to my 290 when you get into 30"+ trees. If you want to add a husky to your collection I'd get the 2100. I just bought one this winter and they are a unique saw. They were very popular in the Pacific Northwest back in the day and muscle is what they got. I'm a stihl man myself but I watched some old logging videos of my dad back in the day and one of the guys he worked with had a 2100 and said it was a good saw. Plus those 2100's have that cool sound to them :) I'd find a good 2100 and get it while you can.

The title basically says it. At what size wood is it worth it to use a saw such as an 066 or husky 2100, over a 60cc saw. I am happy with my 034, but find my self having an unstoppable attraction to the husqvarna 2100cd. In my area, they go for between $350-$500, so i could potentially afford it. I am sure i dont need it, but cant stop wanting it.... This is the most expensive free forum i have ever been on.....
I won't try and talk you out of buying a 2100. I love em have a couple. My 2101 is my go to saw I use it all the time. I don't know your average cutting, but you may use one more than you think. You get used to em, and to me they don't bother me, weight wise. Yes I also have others saws, and have a 372 I still use, mainly for fireowod. Depends what you want, and Like i guess. Try one and see, if you don't like it you can re-sell it fast here:msp_biggrin:

The rose colored world of firewood cutting. A big powerful saw and a long bar are necessary in big softwoods where barberchairs and production matters. Please don't ever try cutting a big fir or redwood using the nibble technique. The tree is liable to fall on you just for spite. Spend the least amount of time cutting any rotten tree. That takes a big saw. To you guys an MS660 with a 32 or 36" bar is a monster saw. Big and scary. Here it is just another tool in the tool box.

And have you ever bucked big logs on steep ground? No, of course not.
Yeah buddy! Were of the same cloth. Good call my friend.

As a kid I learned how to cut wood with a Stihl 028 with an 18" bar (47cc). Over a period of years I got very used to grabbing a 60cc +/- Stihl with a 24" bar that belonged to my uncle...preferred 60cc's for just about everything.

Fast forward a few years...My wife and I bought our own farm, but I couldn't take my dad's or uncle's saws as they still use them. I had a Homelite EZ-Auto (38cc) and a Homelite 1050 (100cc) but neither were running. Luckily my Grandfather offered to give me his old (but like new) Stihl 024 (42cc's) with a 16" bar, as he could no longer use it. For a year or two now, all I've had to use was my little reliable 024. Felling and bucking was all done with the 024, no matter how big the tree. I got the job done, but every time I had to cut a log three times to get through the full diameter, I say I'm not going to keep doing that to the poor little saw.

In the past few months I've cut down 3 30"+ diameter trees and skidded them to my barn lot to cut them up for firewood...but once i got to the largest section of the trunks, I just left them until I had a bigger saw handy.

Gotta love Craigslist. $60 spent last Sunday morning on a Homelite 350 (57cc's), Homelite 550(84cc's), and a bonus Skil 1616 means a much needed vacation for the 024. Now that I am back in bigger saws again, I'll still use the 024 for stuff up to 12-14" diameter, cutting fence posts, etc...but when I'm felling and bucking big old dead trees as I often am, I will be grabbing 60-100cc's. Just no reason to overwork a nice smaller saw when you can use something the right size.

Here's a picture from this afternoon...the 550 wearing a 30" bar, sitting on one of the smaller trunks I had waiting to be bucked.
View attachment 281905

-Phillip

the only thing is that once you own a big saw you will want another big saw then another big saw then another big saw and before you know it you need something more and end up with this. this is my hot saw. i didn't build it but i did help. i donated a couple 3120's to my buddy. we built them and i got one. cool saw but i'm gonna get rid of it. i don't compete so no use to me. although i like to start it once in a while. sounds pretty mean :msp_biggrin: it is an alky saw and is just an old ugly beast. the ugliest 3120 i own :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

comical post at best. i find it funny, and have always wondered why you see these guys on the west coast running saws with these huge bars on them. and then you see them cutting trees and there is 12-18" of bar on each side of the tree, i do not get it. around here guys run 660's or 390-395's with 20-25" bars on themm and drop some good sized trees with them.

Pretty funny coming from a treefarmer.
Have you ever been in our woods?

comical post at best. i find it funny, and have always wondered why you see these guys on the west coast running saws with these huge bars on them. and then you see them cutting trees and there is 12-18" of bar on each side of the tree, i do not get it. around here guys run 660's or 390-395's with 20-25" bars on themm and drop some good sized trees with them.

Sure...
[video=youtube_share;HdgMcbNwZ3o]http://youtu.be/HdgMcbNwZ3o[/video]

Not to start any crap, but this kinda seems like making fun of a guy for hauling equipment with a drop deck trailer behind a Kenworth....'cause you and your buddies pull your lawnmowers around with Chevy S-10s all the time.

-Phillip

buck these up with a 25?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
fall this with a short bar, not me.
attachment.php
knot this up with a short bar? don't have all day.
attachment.php
come on out and give it a shot and then make your comical statment.

So Mr Poser how many days have to spent cutting trees west of the Rockies? Or west of the Mississippi River for that matter? Where are the pictures of the west coast timber fallers cutting 12" trees with 36" bars. How big of a tree have you dropped with a 20" bar? How many trees over 4' dbh have you layed on the ground?

I have to admit I took a dislike to you from your first posts so I am biased. I don't think you have the experience to back up your claims. Prove me wrong and I will appologise here in public. Otherwise you should find a lawnmower forum eh?

I really want to know how big a big you killed with a 20" bar.

You really need to quit watching all those AxeMen re-runs. They're warping your mind.

Picking up my 3120 with 50" bar on saturday. Figured I needed it with 60" stump bases. Been using 395 with 36" bar.
Do I get them all ported? 3120 395 346

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty funny coming from a treefarmer.
Have you ever been in our woods?
ahh, i guess, we live in the u.p. and work in the u.p., northern wisconsin, minn., and in the southern parts of canada. i think there is a couple of trees up here.................

So Mr Poser how many days have to spent cutting trees west of the Rockies? Or west of the Mississippi River for that matter? Where are the pictures of the west coast timber fallers cutting 12" trees with 36" bars. How big of a tree have you dropped with a 20" bar? How many trees over 4' dbh have you layed on the ground?

I have to admit I took a dislike to you from your first posts so I am biased. I don't think you have the experience to back up your claims. Prove me wrong and I will appologise here in public. Otherwise you should find a lawnmower forum eh?

I really want to know how big a big you killed with a 20" bar.
and i care if you like me???????????? have you ever heard me make any claim of dropping any big trees west of here? no you have not.

Not to start any crap, but this kinda seems like making fun of a guy for hauling equipment with a drop deck trailer behind a Kenworth....'cause you and your buddies pull your lawnmowers around with Chevy S-10s all the time.

-Phillip
rally on kentucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back