when is a BIG saw (100cc) worthwile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so that would make you a washed up has been, that is still thinks he's logging with an old mac or homelite?

To make a statement like the one above would require the aforementioned poster to possess a "glass stomach". It's the only way I can figure he can see his computer keyboard with his head stuck that far up his behind.

Enjoy "camp".

PS. kittyfuel........er......I mean CATDIESEL neg repped me for this post.

Last edited:
All right #######it! I've got to clear the air that not all midwestern folk cut small timber with a hedge clippers. Christ almighty. Bore cutting with a 20" bar is such a bs waste of time.

attachment.php

View attachment 282113

Shopped!!! I can tell cause the "bar" is on upside down.

Hmm around here you see 4 2100s for every one 066/660. The 066 normally go for $500-700, and the 2100 normally go for $350-$500. I dont really have the money for an 066 right now, so I think I will start with a 2100. What parts have you had a hard time finding? As far as i can tell, you can still get jug, piston, seals, gaskets ect. Ignition I havnt seen, along with the plastic covers.

Nothing new from a dealer for the 2100s and anything in the NOS or private party good condition is getting very pricey. If you can souce parts for them in an affordable fashion they are a great saw. They still pop up in the $300.00 range but are usually right at the end of the cylinder's plating, good cylinders are the hardest part to find.

Ron from east tennesse holy crap! Can you say Mosheim! That is wheren this great man lives. I have been coming to to Greenville for over 20 years. Beautiful country! Pm me if you would like to shoot the crap! Michigander!

Moss sighmmm. Feel free to give me a shout when you're down.

Fixed, lol!

Careful now, bars and bows (and chains) alike were called blades back in the sixties where I grew up down in Florida. "Get the other blade" (swapping out the bar for a bow and vice versa). "This blade needs sharpening." We also called rifles "guns". My older brother came back from basic training and umpteem pushups for calling his rifle a gun and advised us younger boys otherwise. Maybe I should go do some pushups. Ron

ahh, yes i did, read your own crap as you sound like a girl. should delete them all or lock the thread. cause this is just that, comical

Well, I am a girl. I have even lived in the Up Nort part of Wisconsin. The part that is still attached to da UP. I saw very little chainsaw falling done. 95% of the logging was totally mechanized. I only ran into a couple of guys who still cut by hand. What was I doing? Why, I was a forester!:clap:

Now back on topic. Let me see if I can find the picture, or da picture.

282130d1362107687-big-tree0001-jpg

282131d1362107689-big-tree20001-jpg

View attachment 282130View attachment 282131

Those fallers in the photos were working in timber that averaged 16" in diameter--the primo size for my area of Warshington. That's where I'm from and that's where I now live. Now, they use a 460 or 660 with a 32 inch bar. That's standard.

Now, look at the tree they are standing by. If you log much, you know that some trees have to come down if they have dead tops, are snags, or are in the way of operations. This outfit was good to work with, and managed to save a lot of the old survivors--a fire ripped through here in the early 1900s. However, the tree in the photo had a dead, shaky top and was unsafe to work by. So, I slapped some paint on it, and they cut it down. They didn't have to hike back up the hill to their pickup to get a bigger saw, or drive home to get a bigger saw--they already had what they needed. Nor did they want to fool around making multiple cuts--time is money and safety again enters the picture--the less time spent underneath a spike topped tree, the less exposure to getting nailed on the head.

Plus, parts of this sale were rather steep. I was icing my knees after working on some of the units. Anyway, we've covered why short bars are not used in production cutting here in other threads.

I like the cheery smiles.

Last edited:
Nothing new from a dealer for the 2100s and anything in the NOS or private party good condition is getting very pricey. If you can souce parts for them in an affordable fashion they are a great saw. They still pop up in the $300.00 range but are usually right at the end of the cylinder's plating, good cylinders are the hardest part to find.

I was looking at parts for them at baileys yesterday. They had both new jugs and pistons. They could well have been after market though.
Edit: I cant seem to find them, I might have missread

Last edited:
I was looking at parts for them at baileys yesterday. They had both new jugs and pistons. They could well have been after market though.
Edit: I cant seem to find them, I might have missread

I would triple check that before buying the saw. I would use an AM kit if it was an option.

I would triple check that before buying the saw. I would use an AM kit if it was an option.

I did. It seems between no picture, and me not having had coffee yesterday, I mistook rings for a jug. No idea how I managed that.... Maybe I will keep my eye out for an old stihl. The lack of parts is scaring me off a bit. I can figure out how to fix almost anything saw related, but not without parts..

Hmm around here you see 4 2100s for every one 066/660. The 066 normally go for $500-700, and the 2100 normally go for $350-$500. I dont really have the money for an 066 right now, so I think I will start with a 2100. What parts have you had a hard time finding? As far as i can tell, you can still get jug, piston, seals, gaskets ect. Ignition I havnt seen, along with the plastic covers.
You can get the parts you are right. Ebay, and this site, just have to know some people. Not to big of a deal. When I got my 2101, my 660 started to sit in the truck, then I sold it.

i have no opinion, no skirting here either. and we all know how seriously you and your posts are taken.

Sure you do, you're just to chicken #### to stand behind it.

I'm sure people have varying opinions on my posts, some people know when to take them seriously and some don't. I typically don't go back and erase them because I said something I was afraid to own up to, though.

Catdiesel....

CATDIESEL sent me a PM requesting that I delete his posts. I declined. I have neither the time nor the inclination to wade back through 9 pages of this crap just to gut and rearrange the thread.

CATDIESEL has withdrawn from the thread and promised no more posts. In that spirit, please refrain from any further comments or attacks directed toward him.

Let's get back to what this thread is about.

I think the OP needs to run a 6 cube saw and decide for himself. A great place to do this is at a regional AS GTG. Most everyone who has ran a large saw has to have one or more.

I think the OP needs to run a 6 cube saw and decide for himself. A great place to do this is at a regional AS GTG. Most everyone who has ran a large saw has to have one or more.

wish i had one along time ago,just bought my new ms660 few weeks ago,wow! i dont even want to pick up smaller saw,so much faster

CATDIESEL sent me a PM requesting that I delete his posts. I declined. I have neither the time nor the inclination to wade back through 9 pages of this crap just to gut and rearrange the thread.

CATDIESEL has withdrawn from the thread and promised no more posts. In that spirit, please refrain from any further comments or attacks directed toward him.

i'll be good boss.:msp_smile:

Thanks Bob, for continuing to moderate with.......well.......moderation. You're alright in my book, for a washed up.........er.........nevermind.

Gents, we need more pictures of big saws going into BIG wood

Twin Titan Bluestreak's on a 20' bar (586cc's combined) - picture credit mrbigsaw

twinbluestreaks_zpse1dc3d84.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Gents, we need more pictures of big saws going into BIG wood

Twin Titan Bluestreak's on a 20' bar (586cc's combined) - picture credit mrbigsaw

twinbluestreaks_zpse1dc3d84.jpg

Chris

Whoa!

I remember back in the mid seventies seeing a, IIRC, 12' bar on an electric burl saw. It was hinged at the bottom and lowered like a giant paper cutter. Redwood burl tables were so popular all the redwood stumps easy to get to were dug up and slabbed. Stumps in the river were just called stumps, not large woody debris, and nobody cared if you pulled them out.

Latest posts

Back