When is a pine tree too dead to climb/rig? (see pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went to look at a Pine Tree today that a customer wants removed.

It looks pretty dead and the bark was pretty loose.

The drop zone is fairly tight and might require some rigging, maybe even rigging the trunk down on itself via a block and sling.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm feeling like this tree might not hold up to the rigging.
Thanks.

DSCN0041.JPG DSCN0043.JPG

I'd say it'd probably be fine. Doesn't seem like you'd have to rig anything heavier than 50 lbs. But definitely to a pull test first into an area that would minimize damage if it fell over.

Check the buttress roots with a drill. If they are sound then use a ladder at first, cutting your way up. Move slow like a cat. Keep the tree in balance, don't just cut one side. If you have to rig anything use a speed line and keep it small. Keep track of how much weight you are removing. The more weight you get out the safer you become. Take the time to stay on your climb-line, that's your quick escape if you don't like how its moving, keep your line clear. Take your time, make small cuts, no shock. Chunk it, DO NOT drop crutch. If you can and it makes you feel safer, use anchor lines to secure the trunk.
Make sure the customer knows how dangerous this is and that you can not be responsible for any damage that occurs. If they don't except that then don't do it. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. Nothing worse than doing someone a big favor by risking your life to cut a tree nobody else is will to do just to have then ***** about some broken shingles. Nothing other than actually loosing your life over something like this.

Given the cactii around, I would say that wood is probably harder than concrete. I would check the buttress roots. If you cut the branches small, you may be able to handle them and not rig most of them. It looks like you have room to block the stem down (you only need a 4x4' spot).

like said above it will fail at the stump. the upper wood will still be solid and dry.

I have seen scotch pines fall here after only 1 year dead. The bark isn't even completely off the trunk yet and the tree is down.

between wet humid ohio weather and the pine borers chewing the sapwood , it doesn't take long

Might hold up a bit better in the SW though

Back