when is my new saw broke in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdenny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My father has been getting pretty friendly with my husky 350 while clearing his new building lot. Thats okay because it gives me an excuse to get a new 353 I have been checking out. I have a giant rock maple someone hired me to remove this weekend (almost 40" on the stump). I will use my 372 for the bigger share of it but i want to get and use my 353 by then. How many rpm should I set it for initial break in? Should I mix the first batch of gas at 40:1? How many tanks of light cutting should I do before I am able to bury the nose of this thing in a bone dry rock maple? I will be running a 16" bar and stihl rs chain. Thanks for any advice.

brent

I imagine a few will disagree, but I have never really ever babied new stuff to break it in. I've never even mixed up special pre-mix. Just gas up and go to work.

I have a Jons 2149, just like the 351 Husky, and 16" bar w/.325 chain isn't too much for it in red oak, elm, or box-elder. I imagine your new 353, with a bit more grunt, will have no trouble at all.

I used a 32:1 fuel mix my first couple tanks of fuel breaking in my 372.Did not push any cuts maintaining highest rpm(factory carb settings)possible and cut only 6"-14"(a true waste of this saw's abilities)diameter wood during breakin.

After a couple tanks of fuel I started cutting larger wood feathering the cut with the 20" bar having full load.Currently use Stihl oil with a 40:1 ratio,never been more impressed with a new saw.

I'am not saying this is the proper way to break in a saw,just the way I broke in this one.

Rick

Most people just take a new saw and use it normally. I send them out with a 40 to 1 shop mix for the first tank.

I'd say it takes about 5 tanks of gas to loosen a saw up. By that time it is usually idling too fast and needs tweaked a bit.

I wouldn't recommend a person break in a new saw in 95 degree weather.

I had an experience with a 2083II Jonsered where I believe the saw was still getting stronger (breaking in ) at about 25 tanks of gas.

I have a new Stihl MS460. The dealer has told me with all my new saws that they need about 5 tanks of gas to break in. I only run Stihl 50:1 mix in 94 octane gas. This saw has about 8 tanks through it, and it is getting stronger every time I cut. I am always careful not to over-rev with no load on the engine.

My dealer told me the same thing. He told me that 89 octane and higher only. The oxygenated gas we have here really kill a saw.

Back