When to remove stakes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumbsunderfoot

Reaction score
How do I know when I can remove the supporting stakes alongside of my young trees?
They have been in place nearly two years now. The crabapple and fountain cherry tree are in a slightly windy area, hence my reluctance.

Thanks for your help!

I would say thats plenty of time, but to be sure when you take whatever device thats holding them to the stakes off give the trunk a light push and see if the ground shifts. If it cracks or shifts I think it means the roots havent taken but it should be fine.

Your young trees shouldn't require staking beyond a year. If you wigglle them and the grounds lifts or cracks, there is something wrong that staking probably will not help.

A tree is stimulated to develop its strength, taper and root growth through crown movement which staking restricts.

So yes, take off the stakes.

Sylvia

as soon as possible to aviod the tree becoming reliant on the supports, if your a little unsure i leave a extra bit of jute webbing sticking out so that i can loosen the ties by popping the staples and lengthing the tie thus giving the tree more movement with out letting it wrench its self from the ground.

Latest posts

Back