When to replace a clutch drum.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfromaz1977

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This drum came off of a coworker's PM605. He said the chain would not move when he tried to run the saw. I had to pry the chain out of it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd say that that sprocket is past due for replacement. I guess if you are not 'chainsaw aware', people run them until they stop running. I'll bet a lot of people don't think about replacing the clutch drum until it slips.

Just like not replacing a fan belt until it breaks.

Philbert

Holy cow dude..... That drum would definitely fall into the "time to replace" category. I have never replaced one myself but I would say, and I have been advised, to replace them when they get heavy wear marks or you feel the chain binding when you spin it by hand.

Yeah, that thing is shot. Like the old water pump off of the Mad Max... :)

I never suspected that water pump was the problem... it was. The bearing eventually exploded, allowing copious amounts of coolant to reach the belts, and from there sling several feet out of the engine bay onto the parking lot... :hmm3grin2orange:

So much for the original water pump...:D

I would replace that sprocket/drum assembly with a rim/drum set up. That's what I will do on the 610 when the drum on there calls it quits. :cheers:

Not to mention he could run a 8" bar and a 8 pin rim for cutting cookies... :D

Yeah the plan is to replace it with a rim and drum type set up. I don't much care fore the spur type. In fact I have the same guys MS 310 Stihl that is going to get the same treatment. I sometimes find it hard to believe that people don't know how to check some of these things. What is scary is that he is having me get his saws ready for wood season so his son can try to make extra money this fall. He doesn't have much info to pass on to his kid if something breaks. Makes me wonder how much he knows about running saws all together.

Latest posts

Back