When was MS361 Introduced?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is this a new model of saw?
Or has it been around for a while?
Or is it an adaptation of an existing design?
Have there been any/many problems with this model?
Thanks.

It's a new model (mid 2003) and replaced the MS360. There have been very few problems. A couple of minor improvements have been made, but nothing most would even notice..

Search this site - few bad words about his saw!

I love mine...

It's been a problem free saw for me as well. And if you do a search on this site I think you will find some very good things said about the 361.

MS 361 VS MS390 info from Stihl Tech rep

This message was sent to answer my question to Stihl

the MS361 is considered a Professional class chainsaw and the MS390 is considered a Mid-Range class chainsaw. The MS361 has a magnesium crankcase. The main bearings are pressed into the crankcase halves and the halves are pressed around the crankshaft. Then, the piston and cylinder are added and the rest of the parts are installed. The MS390 has the main bearings pressed onto the crankshaft. The piston is installed, then this assembly is put into the cylinder. The cylinder bottom is added, and then this assembly is installed into a polymer motor housing. This makes the MS390 less expensive to build but more expensive to repair. The MS361 is more expensive to build but less expensive to repair. I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.
Sincerely,

STIHL Technical Advisor

The only guy on this site that doesn't like the saw is clearance, and that's because he doesn't like the new style Stihl caps. I read in that other thread where, I think DDM doesn't like it, but to each his own.

I love it. Superb saw in every way. Have you tried a search? There's hard drives full of threads about it.

Latest posts

Back