When

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
When my chainsaw needs sharpening......I

Take the chain to the dealer to be sharpened?

Take the chain to a friend, or family member to be sharpened?

I sharpen my own chain........piss on everyone else...LOL!

Last edited:
never dealer.....
my groundman is better en me so he does when i can get him too........
last resort ill do it myself........
I can do it just not as good as the guy with 15 more years in the biz than me.(Plus gives me a reason to sit in the A/C)

I wish that all of my customers were like you guys, because I hate doing chains. Sharpening chains is absolutely the least profitable, most boring thing that we can do in the store. So many people simply dull them way past the point of no return. And they don't understand that peening the cutters over from hitting rocks results in a chain that is simply ruined as opposed to a dull chain that can be sharpened.

We try to encourage people to touch up their chains when they first notice a drop in sharpness instead of waiting until the chips turn to sawdust.

We also offer plenty of free how to's so people can sharpen their own chains instead of bringing them back to us.

spike60 said:
I wish that all of my customers were like you guys, because I hate doing chains. Sharpening chains is absolutely the least profitable, most boring thing that we can do in the store.

I've been told, no, to asking to have chains sharpened. The guy acted like I had asked him to blow my nose.

Hand Filing

rahtreelimbs said:
Your here...........time to learn to handfile.

Not trying to be belittleing, just that it is the better thing to do!

I would like to learn the correct way, Is there a link to a good tutorial?:bowdown:

my father sharpens all of mine for me. oddly enough, the man has never run a saw, but has sharpened chains (and mower blades) for decades.

$2 or $3 a chain well spent...

Handfile with a bar mount jig. Without the jig, forget it.....
If the chain is really screwed up from hitting something, I use a Stihl SG grinder that a friend has.

Ed

Harber Freight

You might laugh but this little machine will save you time and aleast get the top an:bang: gle for you.Granted there are folks out there that can hand sharpen better.But I don't get the joy out of it.After cutting all day,and rocking a few loops,the last thing I want to do is spend alot of time on chains.Key word "rocked".I rather clean bar groove,air filter and generally clean up saw.I'D RATHER WAX THE SAW INSTEAD OF HAND FILE CHAINS!

I use the weight of my body against the top cover. I Lean into the saw with the top handle about even with my collar bone, looking over the bar. It is not conventional and is probably shunned by some but it works for me. Tailgate, on top of a tool box it doesn't matter. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be had once you can properly maintain a good edge. I have been hand filing for about 15 years now. I am 28, and for me there is no other way. :pumpkin2:

Hand file my own. Grind mine own. I am picky about cutting speed and saw shops around me seem to sharpen for durability. The angles of their grinders drive me nuts. Their chains make big dust for a long time. I want chips, big chips, mulch from the saw. I do not want to have to push on my saw but rather restrain it's attack. Anyway, it pissed me off enough that I bought an old Foley Belsaw grinder and stock in Pferd.

attachment.php

Hired Gun said:
I use the weight of my body against the top cover. I Lean into the saw with the top handle about even with my collar bone, looking over the bar. It is not conventional and is probably shunned by some but it works for me. Tailgate, on top of a tool box it doesn't matter. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be had once you can properly maintain a good edge. I have been hand filing for about 15 years now. I am 28, and for me there is no other way. :pumpkin2:

And I thought I was the only one that sharpened that way. :rock: At home I set it on the tablesaw and lean over it, otherwise the tailgate.

Back